3rd Generation Tailights - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2012, 04:49 PM   #1
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
3rd Generation Tailights

For years I have envied the tailights found on Volvos,Mercedes, Saab and BMW. They always have a seperate light for the tailights, brake lights and turn signal. I always liked on Asian cars the way they generally have the turn signal apart from the tail/brake light combo. But to me the best setup is having all the functions on seperate lights. I was always disappointed when an American model of a car sold in Europe would eliminate the amber turn signal and convert it to a reflector and have one bulb handle brake,tail and turn functions. To this day there are some new American cars that use 1950's technology for the taillights. For example the new Dodge Dart,Chrysler 200 and even some Kia and Hyundai's use the lousy system of having the turn and stop lights in the same bulb. So on those cars everytime a turn signal is on, you lose a stop lamp. But on the new Focus hatchback the taillights are a work of art. They have a seperate light for everything just like expensive European cars. I never thought I'd own a car with such advanced rear lighting. The turn signal is amber, as it should be. And if the headlights are on, which turns on the tail lights, the brake lights are still very bright because they are seperate. So instead of going from dim to brighter, they go from off to on which is far more noticeable to drivers behind you. While some people whine that they are not LED's, I don't care. I believe this is the first time in automotive history that a car made in the U.S., for the U.S., uses the more functional no nonesense rear light setup like a Volvo, etc. I love Ford for that. Plus the front turn signal is never a running light; just a turn signal with a seperate marker light. It is perfect! I also like the fact that when I turn the headlight control to 'off' all the lights are really off. No idiotic DLR's. Off really means off. If I want the lights on I can turn them on or just leave it in autolamp mode and have it turn them on and off for me. And by the way, I love the rest of the car too! Features like the one touch up/down on all windows, ambient lighting, and the dual zone HVAC with automatic temp controls are about as perfect as it can get. It also has the most versatile automatic transmission I have ever had. All my old automatics only had one mode:'D'. In this one there are 2 modes or I can go thru the gears myself without the hassle of a clutch in city traffic. I personally give a big thumbs up to Ford for this creation! I have over 30K miles on this car already and not once have I needed to take it in for warranty work because something is wrong. And in Race Red, the cars look great!

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 11:07 PM   #2
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,251, Level 35
Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35 Points: 3,251, Level: 35
Level Up 34% Completed
Level up: 34% Level up: 34% Level up: 34%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Glad you've had no issues so far. If only the rest of us were so lucky. And it surprises me you haven't had a car with more than D. Several auto's have a lower 1-2 gear, sometimes a 3, then D. The others depending on the condition of course.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-18-2012, 08:14 AM   #3
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimsterG View Post
For years I have envied the tailights found on Volvos,Mercedes, Saab and BMW. They always have a seperate light for the tailights, brake lights and turn signal. I always liked on Asian cars the way they generally have the turn signal apart from the tail/brake light combo. But to me the best setup is having all the functions on seperate lights. I was always disappointed when an American model of a car sold in Europe would eliminate the amber turn signal and convert it to a reflector and have one bulb handle brake,tail and turn functions. To this day there are some new American cars that use 1950's technology for the taillights. For example the new Dodge Dart,Chrysler 200 and even some Kia and Hyundai's use the lousy system of having the turn and stop lights in the same bulb. So on those cars everytime a turn signal is on, you lose a stop lamp. But on the new Focus hatchback the taillights are a work of art. They have a seperate light for everything just like expensive European cars. I never thought I'd own a car with such advanced rear lighting. The turn signal is amber, as it should be. And if the headlights are on, which turns on the tail lights, the brake lights are still very bright because they are seperate. So instead of going from dim to brighter, they go from off to on which is far more noticeable to drivers behind you. While some people whine that they are not LED's, I don't care. I believe this is the first time in automotive history that a car made in the U.S., for the U.S., uses the more functional no nonesense rear light setup like a Volvo, etc. I love Ford for that. Plus the front turn signal is never a running light; just a turn signal with a seperate marker light. It is perfect! I also like the fact that when I turn the headlight control to 'off' all the lights are really off. No idiotic DLR's. Off really means off. If I want the lights on I can turn them on or just leave it in autolamp mode and have it turn them on and off for me. And by the way, I love the rest of the car too! Features like the one touch up/down on all windows, ambient lighting, and the dual zone HVAC with automatic temp controls are about as perfect as it can get. It also has the most versatile automatic transmission I have ever had. All my old automatics only had one mode:'D'. In this one there are 2 modes or I can go thru the gears myself without the hassle of a clutch in city traffic. I personally give a big thumbs up to Ford for this creation! I have over 30K miles on this car already and not once have I needed to take it in for warranty work because something is wrong. And in Race Red, the cars look great!
I agree w/ you 'bout the taillights however, i don't understand why ford insists on having all the exterior lights come on when you open the door... I can see activating the 'puddle lights' when opening the door but i don't need my parking lights, tail lamps and plate lights on....just silly
Old 10-18-2012, 09:05 AM   #4
kevinxb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96008
What I Drive: 2012 Blue Candy Ti Hatch

Points 555, Level 11
Points: 555, Level: 11 Points: 555, Level: 11 Points: 555, Level: 11
Level Up 10% Completed
Level up: 10% Level up: 10% Level up: 10%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 2 kevinxb Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Agreed on all points. The only improvement I could suggest would be projectors and/or HID, but I can see why they are not included to keep the price reasonable. I'm looking forward to when there are enough Electrics and ST3s on the road that the replacement headlights come down in price or someone makes a decent aftermarket set.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:18 AM   #5
GhiaFan
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 50498
What I Drive: 2007 Panther Black Focus 1.6 Ti-VCT

Points 10,809, Level 68
Points: 10,809, Level: 68 Points: 10,809, Level: 68 Points: 10,809, Level: 68
Level Up 90% Completed
Level up: 90% Level up: 90% Level up: 90%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 12 GhiaFan Great Standing Member
Very nice post. Good to see some appreciation for a change.
BTW the new Lincoln MKZ rear tail lamps have the old style brake and turn signal (red) as one unit
[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=ZoTfgOp3csw[/YOUTUBE]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=ZoTfgOp3csw

IMO this really detracts what is supposedly marketed as a premium vehicle
Old 10-18-2012, 09:34 AM   #6
bball40dtw
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85847
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Ti and 2013 C-Max SE

FF Reputation: 1 bball40dtw Good Standing Member
HIDs should be standard on the Titanium and ST. Projector headlights are a minimum for the Titanium. The Fusion has projector headlamps standard and the Escape has HIDs standard on the Titanium trim.
Old 10-18-2012, 09:49 AM   #7
BetaDnB
Drum n Bass Lover

Fan#: 87466
What I Drive: 2012 Silver SE Sport

Points 2,237, Level 28
Points: 2,237, Level: 28 Points: 2,237, Level: 28 Points: 2,237, Level: 28
Level Up 58% Completed
Level up: 58% Level up: 58% Level up: 58%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 12 BetaDnB Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by cobie56 View Post
I agree w/ you 'bout the taillights however, i don't understand why ford insists on having all the exterior lights come on when you open the door... I can see activating the 'puddle lights' when opening the door but i don't need my parking lights, tail lamps and plate lights on....just silly
You wouldn't think it was silly if these lights didn't work like this and you were doing something around your car on the side of the road at night and got smoked by another car. Now would you? We don't all have puddle lamps.
Sedan Revolution #249 - 2012 SE Sport - ╠╬╝ - Ingot Silver - 201A - K&N w/ snorkel delete - Blox Type R Knob
Old 10-18-2012, 10:18 AM   #8
JimsterG
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95184
What I Drive: 2012 5 dr SEL in Race Red

Points 131, Level 2
Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2 Points: 131, Level: 2
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 JimsterG Good Standing Member
My other cars did have the PRN12D, But I never selected, or needed the other gears on the old 3 speed automatics, I just put it in D. I actually like the fact that the exterior lights come on. What I have to wonder about when talking about the exterior lights coming on when a door is opened, is that if the Focus did not have that feature, and somebody saw it on another brand of car, they would say "Why didn't Ford do that?"

Last edited by JimsterG; 10-18-2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 AM   #9
cobie56
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 84403
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetaDnB View Post
You wouldn't think it was silly if these lights didn't work like this and you were doing something around your car on the side of the road at night and got smoked by another car. Now would you? We don't all have puddle lamps.
i think i'm bright enough (pun intended) to turn on my own lights when needed. I don't need a nanny. I stand by my prev. comments.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:07 AM   #10
dyn085
That Guy

Fan#: 98047
What I Drive: 2014 FiST/FoST

Points 24,309, Level 94
Points: 24,309, Level: 94 Points: 24,309, Level: 94 Points: 24,309, Level: 94
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 14%
Activity: 14% Activity: 14% Activity: 14%
FF Reputation: 49 dyn085 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I almost feel like I entered another dimension by coming back into the Mk3 section and finding a post that is not Focus-bashing related...

Glad to see someone actually has something nice to say about it and not just a bunch of complaining/whining/legitimate problems
2014 FiST-

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.