Crower or crane for stage 1 cams. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-17-2014, 08:44 PM   #1
Tyleraxis
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 98202
What I Drive: 2005 Ford Escape D2.3 AWD

Points 427, Level 8
Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8 Points: 427, Level: 8
Level Up 54% Completed
Level up: 54% Level up: 54% Level up: 54%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Tyleraxis Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Crower or crane for stage 1 cams.

So I decided on stg1s for cams rather than stg2. I just wanna ask, which one is better? Ill be running a 3" CAI, CFM 67mmTB, Headers, 2.5" borla exhaust, BSD, UDP and tune.

I found a company in Taiwan that makes headers for the 2.3l escape.
http://www.thunder-muffler.com/en/pr...fler_002.html#

Also have products for focus, mustang, etc..

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-22-2014, 10:19 AM   #2
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

Points 12,237, Level 72
Points: 12,237, Level: 72 Points: 12,237, Level: 72 Points: 12,237, Level: 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Level up: 47% Level up: 47% Level up: 47%
Forum Activity 99%
Activity: 99% Activity: 99% Activity: 99%
FF Reputation: 65 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
They do basicly the same thing. Going 2 different ways & end up pretty much the same. What # is more important to you? I always go w/ a narrow lobe centers vs a wider one. So comparing the 2 cams, crower uses a wider lsa, but to get performance goes w/ more duration vs the narrow lsa of the cranes w/ less duration. I went w/ cranes 224-0010 & they do make a difference vs the oem set. I'm really surprised more ppl don't install a set of cams. Your setup is similar to mine.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-22-2014, 10:26 PM   #3
Tyleraxis
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 427, Level 8
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
They do basicly the same thing. Going 2 different ways & end up pretty much the same. What # is more important to you? I always go w/ a narrow lobe centers vs a wider one. So comparing the 2 cams, crower uses a wider lsa, but to get performance goes w/ more duration vs the narrow lsa of the cranes w/ less duration. I went w/ cranes 224-0010 & they do make a difference vs the oem set. I'm really surprised more ppl don't install a set of cams. Your setup is similar to mine.

I heard something referring to cranes being more aggressive than crowers for the duratecs but opposite for the Zetec..

I just want to make the most power i can in the low end. My car does weigh 3300lbs so more low end would be nice, plus with the AWD.

I was contemplating the cossie knock off IM but dont want to sacrifice low end.. But, I do see alot of people running the Escape manifold, since I have an Escape I think Ill make good power. Is there anything else Im missing that could help low end?
Old 07-23-2014, 09:26 AM   #4
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Points 12,237, Level 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
Checkout the spec's of the two cams & they are similar. You pretty much have all the mods to make lowend-mid range grunt. You could do a egr delete.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mixBigger brakes then you- D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 07-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #5
Driven5
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95835
What I Drive: Building a Duratec powered Locost.

Points 52, Level 1
Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1 Points: 52, Level: 1
Level Up 4% Completed
Level up: 4% Level up: 4% Level up: 4%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 Driven5 Good Standing Member
Quote:
When you math out the lobe separation on the Crowers, based on the midpoint between .050 open/closed for both cams, the lobe separation is 114. However, I believe Crower uses an asymmetric cam profile, as their spec sheet specifically notes "If using the 'Lobe Center' method of degreeing, cam should be installed on an intake centerline of 110*". Which my understanding is that means the lobe centers at peak lift are 110, just like the Cranes.

Based purely on the spec sheets, I would guess that the Crower Stage I are slightly more aggressive overall than the Crane Stage I...But unfortunately that can't fully define how they will actually perform relative to each other, and I have never seen a true direct competitive comparison between the two.

You can follow my Duratec powered 'Locost' build at:
GarageOdyssey.blogspot.com
GarageOdyssey.tumblr.com
Old 07-23-2014, 04:09 PM   #6
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Points 12,237, Level 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
If your degreeing the cams in you'd need adjustable cam gears, which can be done. You'd install the cams & then put the plate that goes in the slots which are on the back side of the cams & are offset & the plate sits right on top of the head. Then you'll see the #1 int & exh lobes are pointing at each other. Meaning the cams are installed straight up w/ the #1 piston at tdc. Now is you want to advance or retard the int or exh cams, you could use adjustable cam gears. For a DD, I don't see any point on a D-tech. Maybe on a Zetec. As far as cams go, the Cosworth ''road set'' & the OBX copy cat cams use single pattern profile= 216 dergrees duration @ .050 & .380'' for both int & exh. You'll find most cam manufactors to use a asymmetric cam profile= slam the valve open & then gently close it. More so on ohv v/8's. I went w/ the cranes becuase I'm use to going w/ a narrow lobe center on v/8's. Yea, you can advance or retard cams, but then if you do that & you find some hp, I'd be looking at another cam to install that closer to what you need. You shift the power band up or down w/ advance & retarding them. I'd say you can't really go wrong w/ either cam= cranes/crowers.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:47 PM   #7
Tyleraxis
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Points 427, Level 8
Level Up 54% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
If your degreeing the cams in you'd need adjustable cam gears, which can be done. You'd install the cams & then put the plate that goes in the slots which are on the back side of the cams & are offset & the plate sits right on top of the head. Then you'll see the #1 int & exh lobes are pointing at each other. Meaning the cams are installed straight up w/ the #1 piston at tdc. Now is you want to advance or retard the int or exh cams, you could use adjustable cam gears. For a DD, I don't see any point on a D-tech. Maybe on a Zetec. As far as cams go, the Cosworth ''road set'' & the OBX copy cat cams use single pattern profile= 216 dergrees duration @ .050 & .380'' for both int & exh. You'll find most cam manufactors to use a asymmetric cam profile= slam the valve open & then gently close it. More so on ohv v/8's. I went w/ the cranes becuase I'm use to going w/ a narrow lobe center on v/8's. Yea, you can advance or retard cams, but then if you do that & you find some hp, I'd be looking at another cam to install that closer to what you need. You shift the power band up or down w/ advance & retarding them. I'd say you can't really go wrong w/ either cam= cranes/crowers.
Thank you so much for the input.. I cant seem to find adjustable cam gears for the D23 tho. CFM lists them on their site but only for the 2.0.

Like I said, I want to shift the power band for a very strong low/mid range but not falling off the top too bad. I also dont want to get a cossie knock off intake manifold because I hear it kills your low end power.

I wanna stick with some basic stuff for now. 3" CAI, CFM TB, Headers, 2.5" dual exhaust, BSD and a mild set of cams. All this with a nice 93 octane tune I think will make me happy.

Ill post more pics of my escape to show you guys. It has a very Euro/sport SUV look to it. Like a BMW x3 but a little more aggressive.

I have an Alutec front strut tower bar, H&R 2" lowering springs.. My next purchase is ASA GT5 19x8 in black with Good year Eagle F1s 255/45. The stance with the new springs is very nice.

Im blabbering tho. lol Thank you so much tho.
Old 07-23-2014, 09:55 PM   #8
felixthecat
w/ my magic bag

Points 12,237, Level 72
Level Up 47% Completed
Forum Activity 99%
I would install the cams & not get adjustable cam sprockets.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.