Paint on Applicator Pad - How Deep of a Scratch? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection

Auto Washing, Detailing & Paint Protection Discuss wax, polish, chamois, microfiber towels, simple cloth towel, scratch repair and paint protection. Use this Forum to discuss your cleaning tricks and techniques.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-24-2013, 09:27 PM   #1
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 99257
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 ripto Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Paint on Applicator Pad - How Deep of a Scratch?

I had a guy remove some dings from my car and he ended up leaving some scratches in one area. I went home and used some scratch and swirl remover stuff with an applicator pad and noticed some red color on it. How far down would this mean the scratch is? The scratch catches my finger nail. Should I be looking into wet sanding when the temps get warmer?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-24-2013, 09:55 PM   #2
jdetzel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102548
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 jdetzel Good Standing Member
Has there ever been any repainting done? Getting color on the pad means either you are already down to the base coat, or if repainting was done then you may be on a panel that has been blended and a small amount of color was mixed with the clear.
A scratch that catches your fingernail is usually too deep to be removed by polishing. You can probably reduce it by wet sanding and polishing but you run the risk of sanding through the clear to the base coat. Then the only solution will be painting.
Old 02-24-2013, 10:37 PM   #3
mikebontoft
Toxx

Fan#: 58647
What I Drive: 5.9L Grand Cherokee ZJ

FF Reputation: 76 mikebontoft Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
red candy metallic tinted... that sounds like a mess. metallic base coat under red. It's a bit of a deep scratch if it catches on your fingernail. I would be cautious sanding it... I'd hate to see you turn that red into silver.

as for the red coming off on your pad, It sounds like your clear coat IS red.
SR #127 | '02 Focus SE "Foci" (5.0 RWD - parting) | '90 Mazda 626 GT "Greenie" (2.2L turbo T3/T4 rebuild-sold) | '75 BMW 2002 "Carby" (resto-mod racecar) | '75 BMW 2002 (donor -sold) | '98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.9L (lifted and fast) | '99 BMW 328is (alt. daily).
Moderating General Chat Lounge, General Technical Chat, Ford Focus & General Car Chat, and Rocky Mountain Fanatics
Old 02-25-2013, 01:11 AM   #4
billand
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103046
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 billand Good Standing Member
The color wont come off the car unless the clear coat is burned off. The most likely reson for the color transfering to your wax pad is that the car has overspray on it from being painted or another car being painted neer it.

If you can attach some pics I can guid you on the best way to get the scatches out safely. I opperate my own detail business and have tons of experiance with polishing and paint.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:02 AM   #5
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdetzel View Post
Has there ever been any repainting done? Getting color on the pad means either you are already down to the base coat, or if repainting was done then you may be on a panel that has been blended and a small amount of color was mixed with the clear.
A scratch that catches your fingernail is usually too deep to be removed by polishing. You can probably reduce it by wet sanding and polishing but you run the risk of sanding through the clear to the base coat. Then the only solution will be painting.
There hasn't been any repainting done on this area of the car. This problem area is right by the "S" in Focus on the back. I had paint work done (defect from factory) by the passenger rear tire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebontoft View Post
red candy metallic tinted... that sounds like a mess. metallic base coat under red. It's a bit of a deep scratch if it catches on your fingernail. I would be cautious sanding it... I'd hate to see you turn that red into silver.

as for the red coming off on your pad, It sounds like your clear coat IS red.
I've seen a couple articles and videos where wet sanding doesn't seem that bad. I'd probably start with 3000 grit. It feels like for one of the scratches, there's a flap of metal that piled up on one side, so this makes me think I will need to wet sand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by billand View Post
The color wont come off the car unless the clear coat is burned off. The most likely reson for the color transfering to your wax pad is that the car has overspray on it from being painted or another car being painted neer it.

If you can attach some pics I can guid you on the best way to get the scatches out safely. I opperate my own detail business and have tons of experiance with polishing and paint.
I will definitely get some pictures up later today. Expect them to be up around 4:45pm EST. I appreciate it!
Old 02-25-2013, 10:26 AM   #6
billand
Focus Enthusiast

If the reprinted by the tire you have over spray all over your car get a clay bar kit at you local parts stir and follow the directions I bet the paint is all over your car.

Try a product called dr colorchip touch up pair it works way better then duplicolor. Dr colorchip is thicker and sticks and fills much better.
Old 02-25-2013, 01:03 PM   #7
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

I do plan to clay bar the car this Spring. However, I'd like to work on this and some other scratches in the mean time. I don't know how overspray would have reached this area. I'd expect it to have gotten over the windows and tail light before it could reach 90 degrees to the back of the trunk, from the opposite wheel, you know what I mean?
Old 02-25-2013, 02:03 PM   #8
billand
Focus Enthusiast

I do when you clay you'll find it all over your car
Old 02-25-2013, 03:50 PM   #9
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by billand View Post
Here are some pictures of the scratches. You can see some parts are almost bowed outward.

Old 02-25-2013, 03:51 PM   #10
ripto
Focus Enthusiast

This other scratch feels much shallower. It barely catches a nail at all, however it stands out too well. Maybe it's just wide? Do you think this would need to be wet sanded, or just compounded?

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->