SO i just got in an accident... - Page 5 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2012, 08:55 PM   #41
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
Yes they are paying for it. Collision center will do it and they are paying! F that!
It isn't a matter of that, its a matter of what INSURANCE deems covered.

3rd party addons are rarely covered unless you've added enough to warrant such a change in policy.

I mean, you might not be at fault but the other guys insurance has NO obligation to pay for your add on exhaust or any other mods like intakes and so forth...

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 09:00 PM   #42
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Wonder if I can tell them to make sure my transmission shift correctly in sport mode and no rattling .... Hmmm...
Old 10-23-2012, 09:07 PM   #43
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Wonder if I can tell them to make sure my transmission shift correctly in sport mode and no rattling .... Hmmm...
A part from checking to see that it would shift at all and not give off error codes its unlikely you could get them to cover the transmission unless it was damaged as a result of the crash.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:23 PM   #44
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
A part from checking to see that it would shift at all and not give off error codes its unlikely you could get them to cover the transmission unless it was damaged as a result of the crash.
Yea but worth a try to tell them to make sure the transmission is ok. Maybe they will see something ford dealership did not....
Old 10-23-2012, 09:33 PM   #45
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
It isn't a matter of that, its a matter of what INSURANCE deems covered.

3rd party addons are rarely covered unless you've added enough to warrant such a change in policy.

I mean, you might not be at fault but the other guys insurance has NO obligation to pay for your add on exhaust or any other mods like intakes and so forth...
Not true, the driver at fault has an obligation to make you whole, including all financial effects that it has on you. The driver-at-fault is liable for all damaged property that you own, including add-ons to your vehicle, time taken off of work, rental car, repairs, medical bills, or anything that you lost financially as a direct result of the accident.

The addon-coverage that you are speaking about is when your own insurance policy is paying for something that was your fault or there is no 3rd party at fault (tree falling etc.) In these cases, you and your insurance company have already negotiated a value for your vehicle (fair market value or cost of repairs up to fair market value 99% of the time.) If you want the agreed upon value to include addons, then yes, you must have your policy cover that.
Old 10-23-2012, 09:45 PM   #46
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul21 View Post
Not true, the driver at fault has an obligation to make you whole, including all financial effects that it has on you. The driver-at-fault is liable for all damaged property that you own, including add-ons to your vehicle, time taken off of work, rental car, repairs, medical bills, or anything that you lost financially as a direct result of the accident.

The addon-coverage that you are speaking about is when your own insurance policy is paying for something that was your fault or there is no 3rd party at fault (tree falling etc.) In these cases, you and your insurance company have already negotiated a value for your vehicle (fair market value or cost of repairs up to fair market value 99% of the time.) If you want the agreed upon value to include addons, then yes, you must have your policy cover that.
Thanks for clearing that up I was pretty sure it was covered. I'm hoping its not totaled because I would lose out on like 5k after taxes bc of depreciation in 2 months... That's just crazy. For missed work if I missed work for the dr that missed work is also covered correct? Dr told me to go to physical therapy for my neck and back for -12 sessions so I will mess some work that's why I ask.
Old 10-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #47
paul21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 87707
What I Drive: 2012 SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 0 paul21 Newbie
Quote:
Thanks for clearing that up I was pretty sure it was covered. I'm hoping its not totaled because I would lose out on like 5k after taxes bc of depreciation in 2 months... That's just crazy. For missed work if I missed work for the dr that missed work is also covered correct? Dr told me to go to physical therapy for my neck and back for -12 sessions so I will mess some work that's why I ask.
Providing advice about these things is kind of difficult, but in general, yes you should be compensated for the medical expenses and time taken off work as a direct, provable result of the accident, even if you have sick days or vacation days to use. The adjuster for the other driver's insurance company is going to give you the least amount of money possible, so you need to be thorough before you accept any payment or sign anything as a release. The approach I would take is this:

Call your insurance company and report the accident (if you haven't already, not-at-fault shouldn't change your rates) so you can give a recorded account of the incident, fresh on your mind, to use in your defense in the future if necessary. When you speak with them, ask them all the questions you have (this is where you'll learn if your insurance is good or not.) From that point you go down several paths:

1) Your insurance company acts as the responsible party under collision insurance, sends an adjuster, fixes your car or totals it, helps with medical matters (maybe not), etc. Then they file the claim with the at-fault insurance company. This speeds things up for you.

2) Your insurance company does nothing. You must contact the at-fault insurance and speak with an adjuster. You will the negotiate with the adjuster all things related to your vehicle repairs, medical expenses, time off work, etc. You sign an agreement and are mailed a check.

3) You are not happy with the offer the adjuster is giving you, after negotiations. You contact a lawyer who will attempt stronger negotiations first then file a lawsuit.

Hope this helps!
Old 10-23-2012, 11:34 PM   #48
Ox-y-GenIII
Focus Addict

Fan#: 90008
What I Drive: 2012 Oxford White SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Ox-y-GenIII Good Standing Member
Isn't this the 4th accident you have been in? Sorry for the damages though and glad you're ok. I hope everything works out. Let us know.

2012 Oxford White Focus Hatchback
Dyno #'s 164.35 HP 147.12 TQ
Old 10-24-2012, 12:09 AM   #49
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ox-y-GenIII View Post
Isn't this the 4th accident you have been in? Sorry for the damages though and glad you're ok. I hope everything works out. Let us know.
First accident only had the car for two months lol.
Old 10-25-2012, 04:39 PM   #50
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

So i just got off the phone with other providers insurance (mercury) said the repair cost is going to be $9150 for my car which would exceed the $10000 limit the other driver has for the two cars so they wont be covering the accident and i have to go through my own insurance... Also the rental car they set up will have to be returned since they will not cover it... great... They still need to pay for my medical bills.... My insurance said they would waive my deductible, but what concerns me is when i resale the car this seems like it would significantly affect the resale value because of this large repair job/accident... do i need an attorney?

Oh and my cars current value is about $16500.... according to KBB.

Bookmarks & Social Networks