Possible electrical short? - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-23-2012, 05:14 AM   #1
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84314
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Possible electrical short?

Ok so I have had this car for nearly 10 solid years now, and have experienced the whole gammit of the SVT specific issues; but this one is a new one for me. I started her up and was letting her warm up a bit in the drive way when all of a sudden the door ajar light went weird and started making dinging sounds. I lost function of my rear window defroster, my rear window wiper, and my turn signals. I didn't move the car out of the driveway because I didn't know what was happeneing. I left the turn signal stalk in the left turn position, and the door ajar light came on, started dinging, and the turn signal was going real fast. The overhead light also was coming on, so I switched that off. Now when I'm driving it will "short" out sometimes. I will lose function of my rear wiper, rear defrost, and my turn signals. This poses a significant safety issue, no turn signal; as well as a rearward vision issue. (it rains ALOT in WA State)

I have previously, many years ago, replaced the drivers door switch. I also replaced my alternator about 6 months ago with a rebuilt Motorcraft unit. My hatch lock is kinda poopy, I have to slam it hard for it to securely lock closed.

I have no clue at this point what the issue is, but it needs to get fixed. Any ideas on the cause of this issue? Is it a true wire short, and if so where could it be? If not a short, than what?

Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-23-2012, 11:42 PM   #2
paulg127
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 55998
What I Drive: 2003 Black SVT

FF Reputation: 3 paulg127 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
What is the battery voltage?
Old 10-24-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

I don't know what my battery voltage is; but it might help to note that when my alternator went, it took my battery with it. I had previously purchased an Optima Yellow top from Autozone, so I had it replaced under warranty after I had the alternator replaced. I don't have a multimeter or I would check it and post the results. Best I could do is go to town to have a parts store check the battery, but that would have to wait until the next time I go to town. I live about 20 miles from the closest parts store with the equipment to check it, so I don't go to town very often...
I guess I can see when the 'rents are going to town, pull the battery, and go to town with them..
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
Old 10-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #4
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Check the hatch wiring for damage.
Old 10-26-2012, 01:25 PM   #5
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

OK, I checked the wiring in the back and several of the wires are cracked up pretty bad with quite a bit of exposed wire in several spots. Some under the rubber tubing and some where the factory electric tape ends. Next question, would a single layer of electrical tape work, or do I have to replace the entire wire? Also the working area back there is rather tight, any way to pull the wires to get more room to work with?
Old 10-26-2012, 02:37 PM   #6
TerryB
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34559
What I Drive: Red '01 ZX3

FF Reputation: 68 TerryB Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
It probably should be replaced. I just separated mine and taped between the wires the best I could. That was a long time ago and it's held up so far.

Bookmarks & Social Networks