170 to 200hp hp goal - Page 3 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-23-2012, 09:51 AM   #21
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79468
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 2.0L Dtec, '11 MK2.5 2.0L

FF Reputation: 3 Fernando_221 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetfocus View Post
I'm pretty sure most people would agree that the D23 is a more powerful engine. Plenty of dynos and track runs to compare. I have the D20 and it doesn't rev to 8K to get equal power. I let it hit 7K at the track recently and actually ran a slower time (because the power starts to drop off after about 6300 or so). These are the facts I have. Are we talking about peak numbers or usable power? I wish I had the 2.3L. ......
To make power above 7000rpm you'll need the cosworth IM (or knockoff).
I have a d20 with cams, cosworth IM, header, exhaust, rev limit @ 7800.
It makes good power above 5k, below 5k you lose some torque. You'll need a close ratio gearbox, so you can keep the engine above 5k. I have the same GR from Fiesta ST150 (ib5 gearbox from UK), so the engine is always above 5k rpm, with the cosworth IM you have GOOD power from 5k to 8k, it's a nice range.
The best thing would be the D23 with cosworth IM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-23-2012, 10:50 AM   #22
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102583
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen Sonic Blue S121

FF Reputation: 1 AllCarFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Fernando...are you on stock internals?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:25 AM   #23
Fernando_221
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 79468
What I Drive: '06 ZX4 2.0L Dtec, '11 MK2.5 2.0L

FF Reputation: 3 Fernando_221 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCarFan View Post
Fernando...are you on stock internals?
Yes, stock internals. Also I have X3 and it's tuned by Tom. I'll post a vid this weekend.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:33 PM   #24
gimmemoreboost
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 83716
What I Drive: 2007 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 gimmemoreboost Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Yeah the power drops off at 6300 with the stock valvetrain. I was comparing built 2.3 to built 2.0. Which is moot anyway because no one has built a 2.0, or at least nobody has put a dyno up. The guys who build 2.3's only run to right around 7k rpms. If you built a 2.0 and 2.3 with high comp pistons, a hard cam, i/m, header, 3" exhaust, I think the 2.0 would make at least as much power as the 2.3 revving to 8k rpms. With a built n/a you have to wind it up to make power.

Bash me or believe me I don't care. That's just my opinion.
Old 11-23-2012, 04:59 PM   #25
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

FF Reputation: 153 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
I agree they may make close to the same HP but the 2.3 would make more TQ and in the end its TQ that your looking for

I am very curious to do a 2.3 built with the 2.5 head and cams

??????

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 11-23-2012, 08:23 PM   #26
streetfocus
Focus Addict

Fan#: 5768
What I Drive: 2004 Black Focus SVT

FF Reputation: 2 streetfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Torque. Exactly. I'll drink to that.

New: 04 SVT : K&N panel filter, 3 performance motor mounts, Taylor wires
Old 11-23-2012, 09:44 PM   #27
drewts86
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 72974
What I Drive: 2004 Burgundy ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 drewts86 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fernando_221 View Post
The best thing would be the D23 with cosworth IM.
For me, that's great to hear. Put 67mm TB and FSW CAI on my D23 not long ago, now awaiting the Cossie IM I ordered. Have to wait for next paycheck to get SCT Tuner before I toss on the IM, so I guess I'll have a giant Cosworth paperweight on my desk for a week

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus View Post
I am very curious to do a 2.3 built with the 2.5 head and cams

Tom
Which car does the 2.5 head come off of? I was already thinking of going to the yard and picking a 2.3 to build up with a P/P along with cams, but now you've got me rethinking?
Old 11-23-2012, 11:30 PM   #28
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 62 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Lets not start the 'tuner" wars now.....

It would be better to simply say you've had good results yourself with a certain shop/tuner when you want to make a recommendation.

To put it politely, the personalities & business models seem quite different so any prospective customers should check for themselves & see which they feel comfortable with.

I like Tom personally, but I'm not a "customer" yet. I WOULD recommend him to anyone who values an honest approach - the only unhappy folks I've heard of simply didn't like his sometimes "blunt" honesty. His "lifetime" tune approach is unusual to say the least, and handy for those who can only afford a change or two at a time.

Haven't met Randy, but from what I've heard here his approach is more 'businesslike" and some prefer that. Others might take issue with that as well, so personal preference comes into play again....

To change subjects, I'm a bit surprised that clutch/differential upgrades would be minimized so much. I know my STOCK 2.3 would benefit from improvements in this area, so anything with MORE power could use some help there as well IMHO.

Then again, I'm one of those strange ones who likes handling & braking to match power rather than being overwhelmed by H.P..... So "getting it down" instead of just spinning one wheel faster than now would be my preference....

Cheers!
Old 11-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #29
felixthecat
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 80663
What I Drive: '05 Silver Sport Technologies

FF Reputation: 53 felixthecat Excellent Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailor View Post

To change subjects, I'm a bit surprised that clutch/differential upgrades would be minimized so much. I know my STOCK 2.3 would benefit from improvements in this area, so anything with MORE power could use some help there as well IMHO.

Then again, I'm one of those strange ones who likes handling & braking to match power rather than being overwhelmed by H.P..... So "getting it down" instead of just spinning one wheel faster than now would be my preference....

Cheers!
I 2nd that. ^^^^^^^^ Take a stock or mildley stock 5.0 mustang, & add HP mega bite lower arms & beef up the toque box add a panhard bar, Kenny Brown's super sub frame connecters & matrix brace & watch the 60' times & the tenths fall, if not a second. And w/ the HP mega bites you are changing the geomtry of the braking= more rear braking, so you add rear disc's to not lock up the drums. The Focus is pretty much a momentum car & it helps to keep the speed up in the corners & have doing it.
Introduce Mr. Torsen to the mix D23 crew- D-Tech- Sedan Revolution= #131
Old 11-24-2012, 02:25 PM   #30
Jmaczx4st
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 50922
What I Drive: 05 Infra-red ZX4 ST

FF Reputation: 6 Jmaczx4st Good Standing Member
If Im not mistaken you can get the 2.5 head off a Fusion some minor mods and it should bolt up. I think Tom was toying with it haven't been on in awhile so not sure if it was completed.

All I know is that I have a 2.3 with Cossie CAI, Borla exhaust with HFC, and a 91 oct tune and there isn't a 2.0 anywhere near me that stands a chance.
ST Crew #86
Team Duratec #155

Bookmarks & Social Networks