What MPG does your DURATEC Ti-VCT get on the HIGHWAY ONLY ? - Page 16 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current)

DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance (2012-Current) The place to chat about any Duratec 2.0L Ti-VCT engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 02-15-2014, 02:23 AM   #151
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFocus2012 View Post
2012 se dct
Interstate speeds, mostly 70 going to Florida
90 degree weather
mostly flat with minimal hills was topped out at 50 mpg, but i had to stop and get gas just as often ass my dad in his 04 silverado 1500.
Seams they do that all cars or trucks get say 400 miles per tank but you only had to pay for a lot less gas... LOL
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 02:25 AM   #152
Seminoles
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98405
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 Seminoles Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEFocus2012 View Post
2012 se dct
Interstate speeds, mostly 70 going to Florida
90 degree weather
mostly flat with minimal hills was topped out at 50 mpg, but i had to stop and get gas just as often ass my dad in his 04 silverado 1500.
Seams they do that all cars or trucks get 400 miles per tank. Good news you only had to pay for a lot less gas.
Old 02-15-2014, 06:56 AM   #153
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
Been conducting some testwork...results next week. Doing 12 runs on my commute, 48 miles pure highway, cruise only, speed limit only. Ran 6 on premium, 6 on regular fuel. Recorded temp, avg. speed, etc.
Old 02-15-2014, 07:28 AM   #154
SEFocus2012
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114989
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

FF Reputation: 1 SEFocus2012 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seminoles View Post
Seams they do that all cars or trucks get 400 miles per tank. Good news you only had to pay for a lot less gas.
Yep! Lol
Old 02-21-2014, 09:50 PM   #155
timeatkuu
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 112507
What I Drive: '12 BlCndy Ti Hatch DCT w/ Hand Pkg

FF Reputation: 1 timeatkuu Good Standing Member
Just did a 200km (120mi) highway round trip rolling on Michelin Xi3's that have about 13000km (8000mi) worth of wear. Both ways had very light traffic. One way was mostly uphill with a strong headwind of 80kmph and I managed 17.1km/L (40.1MPG) traveling between 100-110km/h (60-70MPH). The way back had opposite conditions (mostly downhill and virtually no headwind) and I managed to achieve a whopping 21.4km/L (50.2MPG) traveling the same speeds.
Old 02-24-2014, 04:15 PM   #156
Smokin' Joe
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 135465
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black, SE

FF Reputation: 1 Smokin' Joe Good Standing Member
Wow, most of the posts here are getting far better mileage than I do! Only one trip that was about 25 miles of highway with a reset avg. MPG meter did I get over 40 PMG O.O.

2013 Focus SE Premium
Automatic Trans. (boo)
Avg. highway speed = 68 mph
mostly flat with wind
= 31-34 MPG.
33,000 miles on odometer (close estimate)
No mods. Although I added window rain guards so maybe the slightest bit more drag.

Looks like I need to do a few tune ups! Bought it used after trading in a turbo car that used 93 octane, so I thought it was doing awesome, LOL! Guess not...
Old 02-24-2014, 08:04 PM   #157
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
I did a trip to orlando from jax and back which is 110 miles each way. I avgeraged 36.8 mpg at 75mph and arrived back home with a hair under half a tank.

This was with my 2014 SE sedan with DCT and 330 miles on the odometer post trip. I juat bought the car saturday and had to go pick my wife up. My 2013 SE manual was totaled during last week which i had just tuned with Injecteds tune
Old 02-24-2014, 08:55 PM   #158
goingtoscotland
Focus Addict

Fan#: 132001
What I Drive: '14 Tuxedo Black HB, 05 Kawi ZX-10R

FF Reputation: 6 goingtoscotland Good Standing Member
That's an awful lot of steady state cruising on a new motor
Old 02-24-2014, 08:58 PM   #159
4mikebruns
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119661
What I Drive: 2014 SGM DCT Focus SE (sedan)

FF Reputation: 2 4mikebruns Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by goingtoscotland View Post
That's an awful lot of steady state cruising on a new motor
Its 2014. The motor break in age has pretty much diminished. The day I let a car decide how I have to travel in it is the day I walk everywhere.
Old 02-26-2014, 12:48 PM   #160
Tigeo
Focus Addict

Fan#: 113481
What I Drive: 2013 Ignot Silver Focus HB

FF Reputation: 1 Tigeo Good Standing Member
I have recently completed a highway mileage analysis on my 2013 Focus. Here are the details:

My car:
2013 Focus SE Hatch. 201a package. Winter package. 5-speed manual. ~25K miles. K&N drop-in (closed end) w/snorkel delete mod (filter has not been cleaned since installation at ~1000 miles). Yakima roof racks w/2 bike carriers and a fairing. I use Motorcraft 5W-20 syn-blend oil w/last change at ~23K. Stock Cooper Zeon RS3-A 215/50-17 tires set at 35 psi (cold).

Fuel:
I did this test 10 times each with both Sunoco 93 and Sunoco 87; all gas was bought at the same station. I ran the car down below 1/4 before switching blends. The gas was all a 10% ethanol blend.

Measurement:
I got the mpgs from the car’s computer by resetting it each time.

Route:
I did the majority of this on my daily commute each way. I only used the highway portion of the commute (45-48 miles). This section is 100% highway cruising with only 1 slow down/merge; no stops. The topo is nearly flat but does have some elevation change (no mountains). Speed limit on this route varies between 55-70 with nearly zero traffic on a typical day. I used the cruise control nearly 100% of the time; I drove the speed limit nearly 100% of the time unless I absolutely had to go around someone or slow down etc. I didn’t “hyper mile” by drafting trucks, coasting, etc. at any time.

Other: The A/C was not on for any of the testing. The sunroof/windows were closed for all of the testing. I tried to keep accessory use to a minimum during the runs. My car was at full operating temp for all of these tests.

The data:

I ended up with an overall average mpg highway (combined 87 + 93) of 34.6 mpg. I think this is great considering I have roof racks. I believe this car can achieve or exceed the EPA rating of 36 mpg if I didn’t have racks (3-4 mpg loss seems reasonable). I believe the data are inconclusive with respect to 87 over 93; however, it looks like the 87 *may* have given slightly better mpgs because while it was warmer on average during my 87 runs which should, in theory, have slightly increased mpgs, my average speed was higher dwhich should have lowered my mpgs a bit and the effects of both of these should have cancelled each other out (in theory of course). I have ran 87 for the majority of the time I have owned the car and have tried 93 a few times based on reading posts on this site. I think any perceived gains are placebo..but I am not racing it all around. I will continue to save the money and run what is recommended…87. Note: the 2013 owner’s manual does not state that you can get “increased performance” running premium fuel as the 2012 manual does.

I have said this before in some of my other posts; the mpg drops off in the manual once you get north of 65 as the RPMs approach 3K..this car would do much better with a 6th gear in the manual that kept the RPMs in the 2.5K range on the highway. The big thing with mpg testing is controlling the experiment as much as possible w/r to variables. There are so many factors that work into it how many mpgs your car gets (temp, wind, road surface conditions, etc.) you have to be careful of making conclusions w/r to the impact of fuel type used and mods. The best mpg I have ever seen was a ~10-mile run at 55 mph where I reset the computer and got 42 mpg!

Bookmarks & Social Networks