2003 ZX3 Lights flickering - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
ElementCo27
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104993
What I Drive: 2003 Silver Ford Focus ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 ElementCo27 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 ZX3 Lights flickering

Hey everyone, new here and just signed up today, but I've visited the site before and it has been very helpful for me so thank you.

I have a 2003 Ford Focus ZX3 that I bought over the summer. It has been a great car and I love it to death. The only thing(s) I've been concerned with is mainly this issue of flickering headlights, tail lights, mileage display, and interior lights (like when I open the door). I've looked through a few pages on here and didn't see much come up so I thought I'd make a new one for those with this issue as well.

The flickering happens while I'm driving and when I'm idle as well. The strange thing is that my radio doesn't flicker, so that leads me to believe it shouldn't be an alternator issue, but I could be mistaken.

Also, while I have this up, I have another issue I can't pin point. When I bought this car I realized that when I brake it makes a kind of, slight pop and grind noise maybe? It's a little hard to describe, but I reckon it's the brakes or the bearings. I know the guy who sold it to me said he "resurfaced" the brakes, which if he did, it was a lousy job because it seems they may still be warped.

Any help would be great and I really thank you guys in advance and appreciate it.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
You need to do troubleshooting by purchasing a multimeter
Harbor Freight is your friend, They sell a multimeter from $0.0 to $10.00 [same one] Look in Popular Mechanics etc NRA magazine etc etc for their ad.

YouTube is your friend also. Type in battery alternator multimeter alternatively type in voltmeter in place of multimeter.
There you will find a multitude of videos of varying quality that explains how to diagnose your car's electrical system.

You want to find out the correct range of voltage on your battery when your car is...
Off
Running
Running with headlights on and heater going too

Also by placing the voltmeter on AC Volts you get to see if your diodes in your alternator are shot. Zero volts means at least your diodes are OK. This is something that a cluster turned into a voltmeter will NOT be able to do.

How do the cables on the battery look? should be clean and tight. Grounds are an issue too. The pigtail going to the alternator is a common problem.

Since you have a hatchback the umbilical going to the hatch is a common problem with wires inside the umbilical cracking, shorting or whatever.
Old 10-17-2012, 08:03 PM   #3
ElementCo27
Focus Rookie

Awesome thanks! I'll definitely get that multimeter soon. Anything you could think about with the grinding/popping noise I'm getting near the wheels?
Old 10-17-2012, 09:19 PM   #4
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
"""Anything you could think about with the grinding/popping noise I'm getting near the wheels? """

I am just electrical
Old 10-18-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
zpellicone
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105007
What I Drive: 2001 Pitch Black ZTS

FF Reputation: 1 zpellicone Good Standing Member
I have an 01 sedan and I have had the flickering lights for over 2 years now, I've kind of gotten used to it. I had the alternator replaced soon after it started but that didnt help too much. I assume it is either the battery cables being corroded (they were recalled for 2001 MY's because they need to be rerouted) or its the pigtail for the alternator. It hasnt really caused any problems but its definetly one of the two things mentioned above. My dome light still flickers some after I cut the engine off which would lead me to believe its the battery cables.
Old 10-18-2012, 11:37 AM   #6
PRSman25
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103893
What I Drive: 2001 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 PRSman25 Good Standing Member
If you can spare the time, SOME shops will do a free brake eval. Which would tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about your brakes.
Tires Plus in my area is offering it, and I've seen a few other national shops offer it too.
Old 10-24-2012, 11:50 AM   #7
ElementCo27
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by PRSman25 View Post
If you can spare the time, SOME shops will do a free brake eval. Which would tell you everything you've ever wanted to know about your brakes.
Tires Plus in my area is offering it, and I've seen a few other national shops offer it too.
Interesting. Do you know if one of those shops is Mavis? I've been looking around for nearby shops to go to.

I've looked around a little myself, and it seems that one of the cables attaching to the battery is a little loose, which could be the cause. I took my car to Autozone as well and had them check the battery and alternator and he said they were fine. He didn't seem like he was too interested in helping me either, but that's the result I got.

Thanks again guys, I appreciate the help.
Old 10-24-2012, 12:05 PM   #8
iroc34
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 69289
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Taurus Limited

FF Reputation: 18 iroc34 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
YUP, make sure all you cables are clean and tightened. Especially the ground cables. Follow the black cable from the battery to the bell housing on the Transmission. That one sometimes comes loose. The alternators are a usual problem on the Focus. You can have them checked , and it will pass. But its an intermittent problem. The flickering is probably the internal voltage regulator.
Also the pigtail that plugs into the alt is a source of head aches. Ford actually sells a replacement . But start with the small stuff first ...

Follow what Mike said, he already covered most of this.!!!
Old 04-27-2013, 11:20 AM   #9
luy.ga
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114041
What I Drive: 2005 ZX4 5spd

FF Reputation: 1 luy.ga Good Standing Member
I have a 2005 zx4 with a similar problem. Intermittent flickering headlights, gauge cluster, interior lights, radio, everything electrical. Sometimes the enging will stumble or cut out. The local dealer can't find anything wrong. They checked the alternator pigtail, alternator function and grounds. It is getting so bad that i can't drtive the car out of town. Anyone have any ideas?????
Old 04-27-2013, 11:28 AM   #10
ElementCo27
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by luy.ga View Post
I have a 2005 zx4 with a similar problem. Intermittent flickering headlights, gauge cluster, interior lights, radio, everything electrical. Sometimes the enging will stumble or cut out. The local dealer can't find anything wrong. They checked the alternator pigtail, alternator function and grounds. It is getting so bad that i can't drtive the car out of town. Anyone have any ideas?????
The only thing I've been told consistently that could be the issue is that the headlight switch is going out. However, that would not cause any issues with your engine. I'm no mechanic, but I would think that maybe its the starter or ignition causing issues.

I haven't gotten around to trying a new headlight switch only because I'm lazy and it looks like a pain in the ass to replace. I'll try this week and get back for the sake of the forum lol.

Bookmarks & Social Networks