Thermostat Housing Questions? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2012, 04:47 PM   #1
CellshadedSVT
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 51886
What I Drive: 2002 Sonic Blue SVT

FF Reputation: 1 CellshadedSVT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thermostat Housing Questions?

How's it going everyone?

So my Focus has finally developed the infamous thermostat housing crack with right around 78k miles on the car. Now I've searched and I've searched for any information, how-to's or what the best housing to buy for the SVT is and I've come up with almost nothing. Which, is surprising since this is something that pretty much everyone will have to do on their Focus. The only consensus I have found is to buy the Dorman housing, which, is what I did and it only cost $32 from Rock Auto. The OEM replacement from Ford is $68 and the one from CFM is $140, so those are out of the question.

What I'm hoping for is to find anyone who has an SVT and has had to replace their thermostat housing. My problem is that on the SVT the temp sensor is mounted in the plug hole on top of the housing where as the ZX3 temp sensor is mounted on the bottom plug hole (from what I've been able to find) or they don't have one altogether. The thing about this Dorman housing is that the slots for the temp sensor clip are in the bottom hole and neither hole is drilled for a sensor to be used. I called Dorman and they said this is the only one they have and that it is built to not use a temp sensor. Here's the thermostat housing so you can see what I'm talking about:

Now, I'm fine with extending the temp sensor wires so that it will reach the lower hole. On the SVT, there is just a metal plug there, which, is pointless as far as I can tell and has a poorly designed rubber o-ring that will also start to leak. Actually, I have already replaced that o-ring, so I have no problem with getting rid of the plug altogether. The question then is: do I try to drill out the hole myself so I can use the temp sensor or do I just go without a temp sensor altogether? If anyone has had to do this please help me out here.

One other question. I noticed as I was looking for the source of my antifreeze leak that there is a rubber tube just to the right of the exhaust manifold that runs under the thermostat housing toward the rear of the car that has a large crack in it. I have no idea what this hose is. The Hayne's book is worthless for the SVT and I went to my colleges library to access the Alldata, which, was also useless. I'm providing a picture, so if anyone can tell me what it is, that would be fantastic.

One thing for sure, I am going to try and take pictures as I do this and post a how-to on here, since amazingly there is not one, so that anyone who has to do this in the future will hopefully have an easier time. Anyway, here are a few more pictures of the Dorman Thermostat Housing:

Thanks everyone.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 05:00 PM   #2
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,451, Level 86
Points: 18,451, Level: 86 Points: 18,451, Level: 86 Points: 18,451, Level: 86
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
You bought the wrong housing.
Dorman only makes one for the normal zetec, not the SVT.

Call Steve @ Tousley Ford and get the correct housing, and a new plug (just say it he'll know what you need).

And that hose is the PCV line.
Old 10-17-2012, 05:35 PM   #3
jwill2489
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78236
What I Drive: 2003 SVT JRSC w/BBK

Points 3,440, Level 36
Points: 3,440, Level: 36 Points: 3,440, Level: 36 Points: 3,440, Level: 36
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 jwill2489 Good Standing Member
cal steve and get the contour housing. the focus one you bought WILL crack again. ask me how i know. get the housing for a contour from steve. all the parts are about 130

and yes that is the PCV line. i replaced all of that not too long ago
Old 10-17-2012, 10:22 PM   #4
CellshadedSVT
Focus Rookie

Well that sucks. Thanks for the response though guys. It seems strange that I would need a thermostat housing from a Contour, but then car manufactures do like to reuse parts wherever they can. I'm guessing that I should be able to just google Tousley Ford for the number then? Is there anyone that would have it cheaper or am I looking at $130 regardless?

Thanks for the info on the pipe, a guy at Ford said it was likely a ventilation tube for the crank case, I just wanted to be sure. You guys think the crack in the PCV pipe is of major concern that should be replace ASAP or is that something I can hold off on for a while?

Anyway, thanks again.
Old 10-18-2012, 01:04 AM   #5
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

Points 18,451, Level 86
Points: 18,451, Level: 86 Points: 18,451, Level: 86 Points: 18,451, Level: 86
Level Up 21% Completed
Level up: 21% Level up: 21% Level up: 21%
Forum Activity 8%
Activity: 8% Activity: 8% Activity: 8%
FF Reputation: 49 iminhell Great Standing Member
ASAP.
It's causing an unmetered vacuum leak. Which will cause the car to run lean.

If you buy the Contour housing you'll also need a new temp sender. The Contour was a thread in vs the SVT's push in. So that's more money.

Best bet is to just buy a new SVT housing and be done with it. So long as the valve cover doesn't leak all over it, it will last a good while. And it's the cheapest route.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:41 AM   #6
jwill2489
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 78236
What I Drive: 2003 SVT JRSC w/BBK

Points 3,440, Level 36
Points: 3,440, Level: 36 Points: 3,440, Level: 36 Points: 3,440, Level: 36
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 4 jwill2489 Good Standing Member
Trust me do not buy another svt housing. I went through 3 in a year, they suck. That freeze plug always leaks.

$130 is the housing, the. Bolts that put it together. The temp sensor, the water snout.

You can reuse your t stat if its fairly new, otherwise i would replace.

Then you go to a hardware store and go to the brass fitting section and ask someone for a 1/8" NPT fitting. This will screw into the freeze plug spot. Now that things screw in with Teflon, no more leaks.

Here's the thread

http://forums.focaljet.com/ford-svt-...t-housing.html

The guy you wanna call is the guy that started the thread. Parts at 10% over cost.

You'll learn quickly that our svt HATES auto zone/oreilly/advance auto parts.

I know I did

And fix the pcv stuff asap! You can buy the grommet, hard line, elbow and vac line from pcv to Throttle body for about 50 from steve as well.

I just did both of these so that's why I'm telling you to get them, its gonna save you money, I bought the dorman housing and it went bad in 6 months

A TON of svt guys have upgraded to the housing.
Old 10-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #7
GBPackFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84314
What I Drive: 2004 Sonic Blue SVT

Points 1,745, Level 24
Points: 1,745, Level: 24 Points: 1,745, Level: 24 Points: 1,745, Level: 24
Level Up 45% Completed
Level up: 45% Level up: 45% Level up: 45%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 3 GBPackFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Another recommendation here for the Contour housing. I got mine from Steve @ Tousley as well. I replaced it at like 70,000. I have over 135k now and no t-stat housing leaks.
Current love affair: 2004 SVTF #953 (Josephina - pronounced hoe-se-fin-a)
RIP: 2002 SVTF #2358, Sent to graveyard on June 11, 2013. I will always remember the good times we had!!
This car made my hair go gray, and did not care.
Old 10-18-2012, 08:53 AM   #8
BigRed03
( o Y o )

Fan#: 32177
What I Drive: 2003 CD Silver ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 9 BigRed03 Good Standing Member
Yup! another Steve at Toulsey for a contour housing recommendation! I haven't needed to replace mine yet (PO did before I bought it @60k, 114k now) but damn that o-ringed plug....
Old 10-18-2012, 11:40 AM   #9
runun
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 57192
What I Drive: 2003 Orange EAP SVT 3-Door

Points 12, Level 1
Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1 Points: 12, Level: 1
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 2 runun Good Standing Member
I also recommend the Contour housing setup from Steve at Tousley Ford. The Contour housing is so much better than the Focus housing its ridiculous.
Old 10-18-2012, 04:13 PM   #10
CellshadedSVT
Focus Rookie

Thank you so much for the replies guys, very helpful information and thank you jwill2489 for the link, don't know how I didn't find that in all of my searching, but that is exactly what I need. I swear, Ford must have given the SVT guys the smallest budget of any car they have done with the Focus. Maybe Ford just didn't think there was much of a market for the hot hatches in the States at the time.

It's interesting iminhell because my car was throwing an error code a few weeks back saying it was running rich. That engine code turned itself off, then a week later it came back saying it was running rich and lean, that too turned off after a day. Thought it might be the MAF sensor so I checked it and it was pretty dirty, but I wander if the crack in the PCV tube could be causing or contributing to that too. Unfortunately I can't afford both right now, so I think I will have to hold off on the thermostat housing for now and fix that PCV tube instead.

Thanks again everyone.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.