Driving in sport mode shifting from 2-3 problem? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2012, 01:43 PM   #11
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103124
What I Drive: 2012 ford focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 k1ngkev1n1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sogosu View Post
How high do your revs climb when shifting from 2nd to 3rd?

I picked up my 2012 Focus Ti hatchback (7/12 build) yesterday and started noticing the same thing.
When I drive in S mode and shift at around 2000 rpms from 2nd gear it continues to rev for about a second to 2700rpms before 3rd is engaged even though the the display shows I'm in 3rd. If I shift from 2nd at 3000rpms it revs for about a second to 3800rpms before engaging 3rd gear. Other 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 are all smooth and instant.

I'm lucky I don't have the shuddering or other accelerating issues some people on here have (knock on wood) but this is still pretty significant.

Please let us know what the dealer says.
I'm booking a service appointment next week.
Yea very annoying will post how service goes, hopefully something simple like an update. Do u hear a slight rattle at low speeds? I do but only if music is off maybe that's just normal not sure will have them look at that too.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2012, 01:57 PM   #12
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 10 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
When I drive in S mode and shift at around 2000 rpms from 2nd gear it continues to rev for about a second to 2700rpms before 3rd is engaged even though the the display shows I'm in 3rd. If I shift from 2nd at 3000rpms it revs for about a second to 3800rpms before engaging 3rd gear. Other 1-2, 3-4, 4-5, 5-6 are all smooth and instant.
The display shows the gear that is selected, not the gear that is engaged.

In a dual clutch transmission, a shift to the "next" gear (up or down) may happen slowly in some cases.
Old 10-18-2012, 02:12 PM   #13
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104452
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 sogosu Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by k1ngkev1n1 View Post
Yea very annoying will post how service goes, hopefully something simple like an update. Do u hear a slight rattle at low speeds? I do but only if music is off maybe that's just normal not sure will have them look at that too.
hmm i haven't noticed any rattling but i've always had music on
i will listen for it on the way home from work today
Old 10-18-2012, 03:04 PM   #14
Dialed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100454
What I Drive: '12 Black Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 Dialed Good Standing Member
I have the same issue. Started when I got the transmission "fix" (recall) back in the summer. When they re-flashed everything it started after that and has never gone away.
Old 10-18-2012, 03:16 PM   #15
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dialed View Post
I have the same issue. Started when I got the transmission "fix" (recall) back in the summer. When they re-flashed everything it started after that and has never gone away.
I'm assuming its definatly not normal considering other shifts work perfectly. So I will make sure it shifts properly and I won't take "that's normal as a response"
Old 10-18-2012, 10:55 PM   #16
sogosu
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104452
What I Drive: 2012 white platinum titanium hatch

FF Reputation: 1 sogosu Good Standing Member
Quote:
hmm i haven't noticed any rattling but i've always had music on
i will listen for it on the way home from work today
no rattling or clunking at low speeds for me however i just noticed some posts where it developed over time for others.. kinda worried now
Old 10-19-2012, 06:25 PM   #17
12focussel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102923
What I Drive: 2012, Red, Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 12focussel Good Standing Member
2-3 upshift in sport mode delay

Im having the same problem with the 2-3 shift in sport mode all other upshifts are fine and all down shifts are quick include the 3-2 down shift is fine. All my upshifts in sport mode were quick when i bought the car i had that rattling noise when shifting from 1-2, 2-3 then ford replaced my clutches and now after repair im having this 2-3 upshift delay in sport mode only. The rattle is gone but hope this is a easy fix. Keep us updated!
Old 10-19-2012, 06:28 PM   #18
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

When I go in tomorrow should I recommend anything? Like replace clutch or just let them try and diagnose?
Old 10-19-2012, 07:15 PM   #19
12focussel
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 102923
What I Drive: 2012, Red, Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 12focussel Good Standing Member
If you hear that rattling grinding noise when upshifting 1-2, 2-3 i would let them know. My dealer helped me out with new clutches and seals the noise was coming from the clucth basket assembly. I have 1200 miles on since repair and the grinding noise is gone and shift feels good. I just got that delay in sport mode 2-3 upshift now. The delay is about 1-2 seconds before it shifts to 3rd and the RPMs go up at least 1000 RPMs from the current RPM when making the shift other than that im happy.
Old 10-20-2012, 10:18 AM   #20
k1ngkev1n1
Focus Enthusiast

Just got to the dealership too my car in one of the first said it work take a while bc they have to run a lot of tests and recalibrate settings I guess. So I'm planning on taking a shuttle home. I hope they fix it and don't just do nothing I hate wasting time. Good thing is my car was first car in garage so going to be worked on right away. I hope the techs are good and have seen these issues before wjth other focus' fingers crossed !

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->