New and very happy SVT owner. - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-11-2003, 09:38 PM   #1
Kermit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1490
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Kermit Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
New and very happy SVT owner.

Hello Everyone.

I just bought a silver 03 SVT after planning this for almost a year. Bought over the phone at price I asked without so much as a test drive or serious look. Why? This car's reputation is awesome and I figured so many owners and pros can't all be wrong.

Sure enough the car has met all of my expectations and then some. I honestly would not consider any other brand in the under $30K market as worthy and so it was the Focus plain and simple. No shopping required.

Started the 1500 mile break in process, I am a lot older than most of you and still adhere to the the old ways, afterwhich I will drive it in the manner I have been accustomed to since I was a teen, very fast everywhere I drive.

Any recommendations on locking wheel lugs? Thanks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-11-2003, 10:05 PM   #2
Wolf71
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 1262
What I Drive: 2003 Focus SVT, 04 R1

FF Reputation: 1 Wolf71 Good Standing Member
Congrat's! Mine has 1300 miles on it now. And I broke mine in the same way I break my bikes in. 60% throttle, with the occasional stint up to 75%, for the first 500 miles. Change oil and filter. Run it like I normally would but don't keep throttle constant at high rpm's. Now over 1000 miles, it sees redline quite often, but no constant high rpm's. I take my first road trip at Thanksgiving. It'll be a total of around 1200 miles. I hope to see an opportunity to top her out, and see if she will do in the mid 130's like I hear.

A lot of guys at work that have the imports, Honda's, wanted to race me the first day I brought it to work! Crazy!

I too am not as young as most of the people that would own this car, or Civic SI's.

99 Buell X1 Carbon Fiber Extreme
V&H Pipe, Forcewinder Intake, Race Computer, Power Commander III, Banke Rear-sets, Ceramic Coated Headers

04 Yamaha R1 Shift Red
Greggs Custom Flush Mounts, Integrated Tail Light, Graves Fender Eliminator and Frame Sliders, Zero Gravity Smoked Screen
Old 11-11-2003, 10:34 PM   #3
Kermit
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1490
What I Drive: 03 CD Silver SVT ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 Kermit Good Standing Member
Hey Wolf, you do understand, great. That's pretty much my method too. I didn't calculate the percentage but I stay under 4000 and once in a while go as high as 5000 for a very brief time.
I too change oil and filter at 1000 miles and then 3000 afterwards.

Debating whether to use Mobil 1 after it reaches 5-6000 miles. I use it on my other car but becuase I don't put that many annual miles on it I wind up dumping 10 quarts of clean Mobil 1 every April just becuase 12 months went by.

I know one German maufacturer that redlines all their engines on their production test benches as part of their "factory" break in using a huge common, filtered sump. All engines are tested on a dynamo for HP output or are rejected, they then tell new owners to break it in for 2000 miles! They demand this despite tight modern manufacturing tolerances commonly used to negate proper break in.

I suppose if I wasn't going to keep my car very long I wouldn't be so uptight on the break-in. Since I do keep my cars a long long time I want to make sure I did all I could to keep it in one piece. Both my grown kids learned this from me and know better. Yes they get a lot of s#@t from their friends .... Oh Well!

Thanks
Old 11-11-2003, 11:08 PM   #4
essveetee
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1529
What I Drive: 2006 WRX 1984 VW Scirocco

FF Reputation: 1 essveetee Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (21)
Welcome!

I have around 750 miles on mine and I love it. For break-in I shifted at 4000 for the first 500 miles and since, I have opened it up more, but never all out. Been floored a few times, saw redline a couple more, but I'm only trying to introduce a beating to this car (worked well on my last nissan I built). I also plan on changing oil/filter at 1000 and then 3k, then at 6k, she gets Royal Purple
Old 11-11-2003, 11:43 PM   #5
Dave
Focus Addict

Fan#: 507
FF Reputation: 1 Dave Good Standing Member
Congrats on car, just don't to many launches at drag strip, or your clutch wil be dead at 24,000 miles like mine is.
Old 11-12-2003, 08:47 AM   #6
jollyjohnj
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 235
What I Drive: 03 Infrared Focus SVT, 01 Mercury Villager

FF Reputation: 1 jollyjohnj Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Congrats and Welcome
SVT SQUAD #39
Old 11-12-2003, 09:31 AM   #7
Chick

Fan#: 151
What I Drive: '11 Fiesta SES, '13 Civic Si Sedan

FF Reputation: 133 Chick Excellent Standing MemberChick Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (37)
Congratulations and welcome to the best forum in the world!
Old 11-12-2003, 11:11 AM   #8
R&DSVTZX5
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 1093
What I Drive: 2007 Nissan Sentra SER Spec V

FF Reputation: 1 R&DSVTZX5 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Got to love that Focii!

"Why ask, when the answer you hear is not what you wish to hear, nor the answer you were seeking?"
Old 11-13-2003, 08:51 AM   #9
damonabnormal
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 1477
What I Drive: '03 SVT (infra red)

FF Reputation: 1 damonabnormal Good Standing Member
Congrats on a awesome car. I picked up our (my wife and I share this baby!) 03 infra red SVT 670 miles ago and we love our new wheels. We too are breaking her in and plan on a oil/filter change at 1000 miles. A 650 mile rt Thanksgiving roadtrip to Ft. Lauderdale Florida awaits us next... some of which will be down old A1A which is a beautiful drive, albiet a slower one.
Old 11-13-2003, 06:15 PM   #10
bfocused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 63
What I Drive: I now drive a 2009 Focus SES

FF Reputation: 2 bfocused Good Standing Member
Congrats and welcome! I have 11500 miles on mine, and just bought it in June. Already have had the gearbox and flywheel replaced. Also had some suspension work done due to a creaking rubbing noise coming from the front end. But, I still love my SVTF, and am glad I bought it.

Bookmarks & Social Networks