2013 Ford Focus Transmission - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-06-2013, 12:37 PM   #171
garyd9
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114024
What I Drive: '13 Dark Gray Focus Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 garyd9 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdmphoenix View Post
Ford has admitted that there is a problem with the 2011-2012 transmission and with the new 2013 models has been fixed.
Show me any communication from Ford that admits a problem with 2012 transmissions, but doesn't offer a repair attempt - and I'll show you a thousand lawyers all lined up with the words "class action" on the mind.

They've only "admitted" issues that they have resolutions for. If they don't have a resolution, they aren't admitting anything. Instead, they claim it's working properly and might even hint that they are investigating it further. (That's why I'm shocked I got a copy of a communication from Ford to my dealership admitting to MFT defects.)

Ford CAN'T admit a problem without having a fix in a certain amount of time or they'd be failing their own warranty. Every single US customer would have the right to sue Ford under US warranty laws (and I think the EU has even stricter consumer protection laws.)

Even ignoring state consumer laws, if they admit a problem for a vehicle under warranty and don't FIX the problem or otherwise compensate the customer, they'd still probably be violating Federal warranty related laws.

The admission would also open tons of lemon-law lawsuits, and each one of them would give Ford's admission as "proof" of it being a lemon. I don't know that Ford would be able to come up with a decent defense for that.

Then Ford would have to deal with thousands of Focus owners bringing in their vehicle for "transmission problems" when those owners normally wouldn't have brought them in. People would look up their local lemon laws, and immediately schedule 3-5 service visits to bring the car in, let the dealership say "it's a known issue", and repeat as many times as required to make a lemon claim.

Oh, and this doesn't even begin with consider the amount of money Ford would lose from people who decide NOT to buy from that company that makes faulty transmissions - and doesn't fix them.

Of course, I'm not a licensed lawyer... The above is only my own opinion and interpretation. You should consult a lawyer licensed in your area for more accurate information. (Also keep in mind that common sense and legal sense are often very different.)

Take care
Gary
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #172
cappa
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85229
What I Drive: 2000 VW Golf / 2012 Ford Focus Ti

FF Reputation: 1 cappa Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoo View Post
I was told by someone that there was a "software reflash to fix some bugs with the shift points and it has been very smooth ever since." Anyone here have the reflash and still having issues? I'm debating on whether to purchase a '13 Focus or a '13 Elantra GT, and would prefer the Focus, but the tranny issues are making me a bit hesitant.
*raises hand*

I've had a re-flash, I've had a 2013-spec new clutch/seal assembly installed and had to have the car towed back to the facility.

I think all that's left is replacing the transmission entirely or getting rid of the car.
Old 05-06-2013, 09:39 PM   #173
fordblue
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97078
What I Drive: used to drive 2012 focus w/dct

FF Reputation: 1 fordblue Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seriously Focused View Post
Why not just trade for the Escape ?

It's on the same platform, and there's room for more beer.......
hmm more beer? depends what kind. How many bottles of jack will it hold?
Old 05-07-2013, 06:58 PM   #174
Strix
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85696
What I Drive: Not a Ford

Points 535, Level 10
Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10 Points: 535, Level: 10
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 0 Strix Poor Behavior Needs Improvement
Quote:
Originally Posted by McMoo View Post
Not wanting to argue or debate, you just posted that the GT is below average, I asked why, and you couldn't give any reasoning (and still haven't).

If you're going to speak about the GT and Hyundai in general with a negative connotation, at least be able to back up your claim with relevant information, or don't even make the claim at all.

I am in no way defending Hyundai, but genuinely would like to know why it is "below average" as it is one of the cars I am considering purchasing, and I haven't really seen anything bad about it.
I'll step in and defend Hyundai and say that my 2002 Elantra GT was the best car I ever owned. I had it for 9 years and put 180,000 miles on it, and had very little trouble with it.

It was back to the dealership fewer times in its entire life than my Focus has been in the last 7 months.

In fact, it had fewer total problems than my Ford Focus has had transmission updates (and it's still not 100% right!).

That's my experience, for what it's worth, which I'll admit isn't much. I'm just one person... not a very representative sample. But at least it's a real experience, and not just the uninformed opinion of some forum troll pretending that he knows about automotive engineering.
Old 05-07-2013, 08:30 PM   #175
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101141
What I Drive: 2012 SGM SE Sport 5 Dr

Points 532, Level 10
Points: 532, Level: 10 Points: 532, Level: 10 Points: 532, Level: 10
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Seriously Focused Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strix View Post
I'll step in and defend Hyundai and say that my 2002 Elantra GT was the best car I ever owned. I had it for 9 years and put 180,000 miles on it, and had very little trouble with it.

It was back to the dealership fewer times in its entire life than my Focus has been in the last 7 months.

In fact, it had fewer total problems than my Ford Focus has had transmission updates (and it's still not 100% right!).

That's my experience, for what it's worth, which I'll admit isn't much. I'm just one person... not a very representative sample. But at least it's a real experience, and not just the uninformed opinion of some forum troll pretending that he knows about automotive engineering.
Troll ? That one almost slid by me. I would wager that my BACKGROUND IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY exceeds your expertise. But hey, thanks for the insult. They are always welcome.
Old 05-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #176
Strix
Focus Addict

Points 535, Level 10
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Troll ? That one almost slid by me. I would wager that my BACKGROUND IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY exceeds your expertise. But hey, thanks for the insult. They are always welcome.
I claimed no expertise, I was only sharing my experience. It's not my fault that my honest experience contradicts your still unsupported claim.

Does putting BACKGROUND IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY in capital letters like that somehow back up your claims? Does it justify your insulting tone and condescension towards McMoo for daring to compare cars competing in the same market segment? I don't think it does either of those things.

I, too, have a BACKGROUND IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY. I've worked in metro Detroit for 25 years, directly in the auto industry, with engineers of all types. I'll leave it at that. As I said, I'm not claiming any expertise here, only sharing my own personal experience.

It is you who made a claim that you refuse to defend or justify in any way, and instead chose to sarcastically concede a loss in the 'debate'. This after suggesting that anyone who dares ask you to justify your opinion is too unenlightened to understand your brilliance... but no, no... you're not a troll. Okey dokey.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:59 AM   #177
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Points 532, Level 10
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
I claimed no expertise, I was only sharing my experience. It's not my fault that my honest experience contradicts your still unsupported claim.

Does putting BACKGROUND IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY in capital letters like that somehow back up your claims? Does it justify your insulting tone and condescension towards McMoo for daring to compare cars competing in the same market segment? I don't think it does either of those things.

I, too, have a BACKGROUND IN THE AUTOMOTIVE INDUSTRY. I've worked in metro Detroit for 25 years, directly in the auto industry, with engineers of all types. I'll leave it at that. As I said, I'm not claiming any expertise here, only sharing my own personal experience.

It is you who made a claim that you refuse to defend or justify in any way, and instead chose to sarcastically concede a loss in the 'debate'. This after suggesting that anyone who dares ask you to justify your opinion is too unenlightened to understand your brilliance... but no, no... you're not a troll. Okey dokey.

Wow, you are either very lonely OR have a lot of time on your hands. Good stuff !

Go ahead and type another lengthy diatribe or call me a troll again. Let's see if we can really keep this thing going.

Please don't disappoint me......:-(
Old 05-08-2013, 05:14 PM   #178
Strix
Focus Addict

Points 535, Level 10
Level Up 70% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Wow, you are either very lonely OR have a lot of time on your hands. Good stuff !

Go ahead and type another lengthy diatribe or call me a troll again. Let's see if we can really keep this thing going.

Please don't disappoint me......:-(
Troll.
Old 05-08-2013, 05:25 PM   #179
Seriously Focused
Focus Enthusiast

Points 532, Level 10
Level Up 64% Completed
Forum Activity 0%
Quote:
Troll.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:18 PM   #180
cal50
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 8140
What I Drive: 2 cars!

Points 188, Level 3
Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3 Points: 188, Level: 3
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
FF Reputation: 1 cal50 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Take it easy on the slow kid.
(Owl boy)

You know someone is a little off defending Hyundai in a Ford forum.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.