2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback Transmission Question... - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-26-2013, 03:33 PM   #1
lpcc1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118228
What I Drive: Lexus RX350

FF Reputation: 1 lpcc1 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback Transmission Question...

Hello all. I'm new here. I'm very interested in purchasing a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback with an automatic transmission. I think its the best looking hatchback in the market, however I've heard that the transmission grinds alot and there are many problems and that Ford is behind the eight ball with the transmission problems. I really hope this isn't true. What's the lowdown on the transmission issues and are there any websites pro/con that discusses this issue. Thanks all.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2013, 12:38 AM   #2
royce20002006
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 53600
What I Drive: 2013 performance blue titanium hatc

FF Reputation: 1 royce20002006 Good Standing Member
I know you can look at the mk3 section of this forum and there is a lot of griping about the transmission. I also here you are either lucky or not and get a good transmission or a bad one. Personally I love my car transmission included it does grind sometimes and shutters every once in a while but the grinding is mainly when I barely push on the gas and then rake my foot off the gas then push it down hard. It sometimes grinds without doing that very rarely. Shuddering is very light in my experience when it does happen. Every once in a long while I actually do get a hard shift. For the most part my car seems to work excellent to me. But check out the Mk 3 section and see for yourself about others complaints. Also at the top there is three more different discussion board links i would recommend you,check them out too.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:39 AM   #3
lpcc1
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 118228
What I Drive: Lexus RX350

FF Reputation: 1 lpcc1 Good Standing Member
Thanks Royce for the info. If Ford can get a handle on the Focus transmission issues and reliability for the future Focus hatchbacks, then I'm definitely in. I definitely love the look of the car and everything else is great.
Old 08-27-2013, 01:43 AM   #4
sleepyboy
FF's Night Security

Fan#: 15335
What I Drive: 01' Yellow ZX3 euro, 04' ZX5 SVT

FF Reputation: 46 sleepyboy Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (11)
Moved to the MK3 section

Hatch Nation #15 (Ole' Yeller') & #150 (The SVT)
Moderator for
Technical Chat
Zetec Performance Chat
Southern Fanatics Chat
Old 08-27-2013, 05:19 AM   #5
mr_cassandra
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95399
What I Drive: Mazda-3 , formerly a focus SE

FF Reputation: 2 mr_cassandra Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by lpcc1 View Post
Hello all. I'm new here. I'm very interested in purchasing a 2014 Ford Focus Titanium Hatchback with an automatic transmission. I think its the best looking hatchback in the market, however I've heard that the transmission grinds alot and there are many problems and that Ford is behind the eight ball with the transmission problems. I really hope this isn't true. What's the lowdown on the transmission issues and are there any websites pro/con that discusses this issue. Thanks all.
Please take a lot of time and read the hundreds of posts here about the people who have had DCT transmission problems with 2011, 2012 and 2013 Focus's. Please don't just glance at a few, take over an hour, its worth considering you will be paying for this for years.

In my opinion only a small percent of owners end up with the problems and you can see very firm opinions here whether that is more or less than say 5%.

But an awful lot of those that DO end up with the problem are having a terrible time getting dealers to help them and you can read their stories here.

Please also go to Fords own focus facebook page and take your time scrolling back thru the recent posts by others so you can see them posting the same problem over there.

Also if you yahoo search the words Edmunds focus transmission, they have a town hall blog with many more complaints.

Last but not least yahoo search lemon law focus transmission and you will more websites.

If you get one that runs right, you will have a superb sporty car with great mileage.

If you get one of the bad ones, you will be feeling shudders & shakes, grinding under the hood and you will become one of the hundreds of posts here asking why your dealer says all this is normal, while all your friends and family ask whats wrong with your car as it shudders and grinds.

Please take the time to read all this so you don't end up like so many others, who were blindsided by this. If you go into this with your eyes open, that's your business entirely.

Its YOUR hard-earned money and if you get one with these problems, you can see here that even if Ford escalates your case, the problems come BACK.

Last edited by mr_cassandra; 03-20-2014 at 02:12 PM. Reason: more info
Old 08-27-2013, 05:28 AM   #6
ResJudicata
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94971
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 ResJudicata Good Standing Member
I'm one of those who got a good transmission in my Titanium. One thing I don't recall is whether the bad ones are bad from the start or if the issues show up after 500 miles or so.

Many dealers will send you home with a car for the weekend to try and get you committed to buying it. This may help with making sure that the car you get will have a good transmission. I also think you should drive the car hard from the beginning to help break it all in rather than babying it.

Good luck. Hope you get a good one.

Chris
Old 08-27-2013, 07:41 AM   #7
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 36 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Click here.

There are hundreds of threads and thousands of posts to be read through in that section.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner
Old 08-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #8
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 8 valmundo Good Standing Member
Hi. You will find folks here who love their cars and others who don't. It's as simple as that. There are some known owners here who have legitimate issues with their cars. However, there are far more who do not (They just don't post as often). The problem is that most who do have problems are the same ones who post very frequently and often on this forum. There are topic threads that are pages and pages in length but it is not because there are individual posters cataloging their problems with their cars. Rather, some folks here posts dozens upon dozens of comments on these threads. Of course their concerns are legitimate, but when you see these long threads concerning issues with the DCT for example, it is not the case that thousands upon thousand of FF owners are complaining. Quite the opposite.

Furthermore, if you go beyond this site and research other forums, the same complaints on those sites are posted by the same folks who posts complaints here. As a lay person, if I can notice this trend then you'd think Ford would too. If I was some big honcho at Ford, I'd try to individually contact these folks to see if I could resolve their issue(s) (Maybe buy their cars back and test them or offer a swap for something else like the Escape). Doing so would bring goodwill to the company and peace of mind to these dissatisfied customers. I still believe it is less than 5% of all FF owners (it is DEFINITELY less than 5% if you count only the ones who are very vocal about it). Anyway, I have a FF Titanium Hatch and an SE Sport and I love them both. The DCT is different than a conventional tranny and will never fully function like one, but believe me, when it functions properly, it is really smooth. For the most part, the car gives me no trouble, I am quite happy with it and therefore, enjoy driving them during my 30 plus mile commute in the morning.

You are doing half the battle by researching before you decide to buy. If you are in no rush, continue to do so. Out of the competition, I think the only car in the same class as the Focus that is worth looking at is the Mazda 3 (Might even be better). The Corolla has a reputation for reliability but is more utilitarian and does not come with as much features as the Titanium. Hondas are also nice, but is a very particular car too. I've driven a Hyundai Elantra and I think it is a terrible car, but again I think people go for that based on perceived reliability.

Anyway, good luck. You are getting a biased answer from me but I think the FF could be a good buy. Test one out thoroughly.
Old 08-27-2013, 07:50 AM   #9
valmundo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89368
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE & 2013 ST2

FF Reputation: 8 valmundo Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdubhack View Post
Click here.

There are hundreds of threads and thousands of posts to be read through in that section.
Please be aware that there are prolific folks who post repeatedly on these threads. That does not mean that there are thousands upon thousands of UNIQUE instances of "defective cars".
Old 08-27-2013, 07:59 AM   #10
jdubhack
I WILL correct you.

Fan#: 103056
What I Drive: 2014 SGM Fusion Ti

FF Reputation: 36 jdubhack Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (12)
Quote:
Originally Posted by valmundo View Post
Please be aware that there are prolific folks who post repeatedly on these threads. That does not mean that there are thousands upon thousands of UNIQUE instances of "defective cars".
Did I say or imply that? What I said was fact. I pointed the OP to the door, behind which, are some of the answers he seeks.

<>< Gal. 6:14
April 2013 HOTM
2013 Ford Fun Weekend: Show Class Winner

Bookmarks & Social Networks