Radiator cracked at 17,5XX miles - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-17-2014, 07:43 PM   #1
silverknight
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119736
What I Drive: 1993 Taurus SHO

FF Reputation: 1 silverknight Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Radiator cracked at 17,5XX miles

So this past Friday I was driving my wife's 2013 Titanium from Detroit metro area to Canton Ohio. When I went through the last toll at 80/90 to I-77 I smelled a little bit of coolant, I assumed it was maybe a car infront of me, and ran a system check since my coolant temp looked normal. I figured maybe it had a coolant level sensor since even my 1993 SHO has one.

When I made it to my destination and got out, I saw some coolant leaking on the front driver side. In 2 min it made a pretty good one foot radius. Popped the hood and checked the tank, nice and empty.

It was 6 pm, so a bit late to do anything. The next morning at 8 I took it to Waikem Ford in Canton, Oh since it was a short distance from my friend's house and he has had good service. It was oddly enough nicknamed "Little Detroit".

I told the advisor I was from the real Detroit area and needed it done that day to get home Sunday. They did a great job and got it done by 2:30 the same day.

Turns out the radiator cracked. Car is less than a year old and only 17,5XX miles on it by that point.

Even before the trip I was trying to take it into the local dealer to get the rear main seal fixed again. First time was 10600 miles. I just did my 3rd oil change at 17,300 and noticed it was leaking again. But they couldn't get me in since they are backed up.

It could have turned out very badly had Waikem Ford not been able to get it done in time.

2013 Focus Titanium - wife's car
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #2
CunFFS13
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 117411
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray Ford Focus S MT

FF Reputation: 5 CunFFS13 Good Standing Member
That's Ford quality satisfaction
:)
Old 03-17-2014, 10:13 PM   #3
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
I don't want to say this is a common occurrence on these cars, but there have already been several users who have had their radiators leaking near the driver's side headlight. I'm assuming this is why my coolant is murky, but I can't see the actual crack itself. I really wish someone could point me in the right direction (front side, rear, a specific joint - perhaps in the plastic?)
Old 03-21-2014, 11:00 AM   #4
silverknight
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 119736
What I Drive: 1993 Taurus SHO

FF Reputation: 1 silverknight Good Standing Member
I've been in the parts business for 8 years. Most times I've seen where the plastic end tanks to aluminum core meet, the crimp there is something loose and causes slight leaks during warm up, or cool down due to the different expansion rates of aluminum and plastic. But shouldn't have that problem on a low milage issue.

Unless the plastic actually cracked on mine. I can't say since I didn't see the old one.
2013 Focus Titanium - wife's car
Old 06-23-2014, 08:53 PM   #5
Tjrommel
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114674
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford white Sedan 5M

FF Reputation: 1 Tjrommel Good Standing Member
Lol its a super slow leak I've been driving on it for 8k and filling res every month or so. Guess it's time to finally get it done

Bookmarks & Social Networks