wandering at highways speeds - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-21-2013, 04:12 PM   #1
IngotFoFo
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 108099
What I Drive: 2014 ingot silver sedan SE DCT

FF Reputation: 1 IngotFoFo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
wandering at highways speeds

I know I've seen several threads about this problem, as well as the recall on the steering gear. I'm just wondering if anyone has had this problem and successfully had it fixed? Just took a road trip this weekend and was able to really notice it at 80 mph, so I'm sure I need to do something eventually I just don't want to waste my time with a dealer runaround.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-21-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
How long have you had this problem?
Have you checked the tire pressures?
Old 01-21-2013, 04:32 PM   #3
IngotFoFo
Focus Enthusiast

I've noticed this from roughly 1,000 miles and now have almost 3,000 miles on the car. I have not checked the tire pressure in the past couple weeks but recently. its not that noticeable till you hit 50 and it seems to be almost an intermittent problem or maybe im just too tired going to and from work to notice some days. To explain better what I'm experiencing, it seems like I have to constantly adjust the steering wheel ever so slightly to keep moving in a straight line. kinda reminds me of driving my mustang which has a severely blown ball joint.
Old 01-21-2013, 05:10 PM   #4
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101517
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
If your car was built before December 12, 2011 you may have this problem.

I have posted about my saga with this same problem in numerous threads...

I had my steering rack replaced due to this TSB. It now drive beautifully at highway speeds - no more wandering...but it is like the problem reversed itself. It is now hard to maintain a straight line at LOW speeds. Every small bump and groove in the road causes the car to wander. I had 4 alignments and the last one improved my problem the most at low speeds, but it still is hard to drive at low speeds.

With the old rack the steering wheel took a bit more effort to turn - which I liked. Small bumps and imperfections did not cause the wheel to move, the car would continue a straight path after going over the bumps. Now with the new rack, the steering wheel is very easy to turn, which easily causes it to move left or right due to bumps and cracks in the road, so I am correcting a lot to go straight.

Basically my dealer told me "well Ford redesigned the rack and this is what you get."

My complaints of "..this is not the car I test drove, if it drove like this I would not have bought it" just got a shrug from them. Nothing can be done.

I know I am not the only one who is experiencing this problem from this forum.

So proceed with caution on what you would like to do because there is no going back once you get a new steering rack.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:12 PM   #5
IngotFoFo
Focus Enthusiast

Okay I appreciate the response, I am trying to be cautious with how I deal with it like you said. Since its not too big of a problem just yet, I don't think I will do anything. I will have to figure out my build date since that is useful information concerning the steering and the transmission both. hopefully this will not escalate to the point where I have to take a shot and attempt to get it fixed.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:58 PM   #6
sgmfocus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101095
What I Drive: 2012 sgm sedan se,sfe package

FF Reputation: 3 sgmfocus Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngotFoFo View Post
Okay I appreciate the response, I am trying to be cautious with how I deal with it like you said. Since its not too big of a problem just yet, I don't think I will do anything. I will have to figure out my build date since that is useful information concerning the steering and the transmission both. hopefully this will not escalate to the point where I have to take a shot and attempt to get it fixed.
go to this website http://www.etis.ford.com/ and enter vin # it will tell you build date
Old 01-21-2013, 09:06 PM   #7
Elizabeth
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 89280
What I Drive: '12 Yellow Focus SE stick, 17"rims

FF Reputation: 14 Elizabeth Great Standing Member
Well one trip does not a problem make. This last week has been very windy all around the country..
40mph cross winds are goingto make your car move around..
Not saying it is the problem. Just it could easily be what it was.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:06 PM   #8
felixdd
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105655
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White SE sports

FF Reputation: 1 felixdd Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by IngotFoFo View Post
I've noticed this from roughly 1,000 miles and now have almost 3,000 miles on the car. I have not checked the tire pressure in the past couple weeks but recently. its not that noticeable till you hit 50 and it seems to be almost an intermittent problem or maybe im just too tired going to and from work to notice some days. To explain better what I'm experiencing, it seems like I have to constantly adjust the steering wheel ever so slightly to keep moving in a straight line. kinda reminds me of driving my mustang which has a severely blown ball joint.
You know what? I notice that too from time-to-time. Not a huge issue. I wonder if it's the electric steering rack varying in resistance from time to time at extended cruising with a constant speed that gives that illusion.

I don't have any issues at low speeds. I'm scared of the dealership guys mucking it up if I tell them to adjust it, because I'm happy with how it handles at low speeds.
Old 01-21-2013, 10:08 PM   #9
AZfocus2012
Focus Addict

Fan#: 92484
What I Drive: 2012 White Platinum SEL 303A Focus

FF Reputation: 2 AZfocus2012 Good Standing Member
I had this same problem with mine. I put it off and over time it got better/less noticeable. But when I had the car in for a transmission update and oil change, I had them do the TSB on the steering issue and all is well. I even put on some new tires a few weeks ago and it is fine. Just go and have the TSB done, do not put up with it because there is a fix. Some early fixes required replacing the rack, some just involve adjusting your current rack. If the rack is not aligned properly, it will cause stickion, which results in the sticking, hard to make subtle adjustments at highway speed problem. I think all they did was adjust mine, no replacement, well worth it. Or you could just keep driving it, some have reported it as almost a break in sort of thing, which would go along with my experience. I am glad I did not get the replacement the earlier poster got. Just tell your Ford dealer you do not want the rack replaced. If they can adjust it fine, if not leave it alone. It is your car and you do have the knowledge of the forum.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:22 AM   #10
IngotFoFo
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elizabeth View Post
Well one trip does not a problem make. This last week has been very windy all around the country..
40mph cross winds are goingto make your car move around..
Not saying it is the problem. Just it could easily be what it was.
I should have worded it a little better I guess, I had noticed it a little bit on my commute to work, but since I never quite get on the interstate it wasn't as noticeable. This trip I took was almost 250 miles round traveling on 3 different interstates so maintaining a high speed for a long period was possible. The wind is a possibility though since before this car, I've driven nothing but trucks which aren't blown around as easily.

I like the info about adjusting the rack instead of replacing it. Ive noticed it likes to pull to the left more especially upon braking. Next step is to double check tire pressure, figure out my build date and monitor how it drives.

I appreciate everyones responses, this is exactly the kind of info I was looking for. Hope to get this figured out soon so I can stay happy with my car

Last edited by IngotFoFo; 01-22-2013 at 04:08 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks