The factory built my car… with the wrong transmission - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Discussions > Ford Focus & General Car Chat

Ford Focus & General Car Chat Discussion Forum relating to nonspecific Ford Focus models, car purchasing, auto industry news and any car talk.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-11-2014, 04:07 PM   #1
JayneCobb207
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 147938
What I Drive: 2001 Jeep Cherokee

FF Reputation: 1 JayneCobb207 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The factory built my car… with the wrong transmission

Hey folks. I’ve been lurking on the forum for a few months while waiting for my Focus Titanium to come in. There’s lots of knowledge and cool cars here, and you guys have given me some good ideas. Unfortunately, my first thread is not going to be a pleasant one. Bear with me until the end, I’m looking for opinions on what to do here…

//Begin rant.

My girlfriend has a 2012 SE that she’s leasing. It has the auto transmission, and I hate it. I drive it whenever I can to work because right now I have a 120 mile daily commute and my only car is a lifted Jeep Cherokee that gets 15 mpg, 16 at best. I love everything about her car: brakes, engine, suspension, but I HATE the DCT. So, when it came time for me to buy a DD, I decided to custom order a Focus, but I knew I had to get the manual. I took one on a test drive and was pleased with the shifter and clutch feel (although a short throw shifter will be among the first mods I do).

I really wanted an ST, but with the long commute it was more responsible to not get one. With the added cost of fuel, less MPGs than the non turbo, shorter tire life and increased cost of ownership, it would have cost me a lot more over the long run than just the extra couple of grand to buy one.

I decided to get a Titanium with the no cost manual transmission, ruby red paint, 17” polished rims, full body styling kit and moonroof. I ordered my car from a dealer in Eastern PA (I won’t mention the name here) on January 11, and was told it would take 8 weeks for it to come in, which is what I figured it would be. However, on February 27th, about a week and a half early, I got an email from my salesman that it had come in. He said it needed to be inspected and cleaned before I could come in and get it, and we set a time for me to come get it on Saturday the 1st. On Friday, the 28th, he gave me a phone call… “Hey, I have good news and bad news. The good news is your car is in early, the bad news is when I went to look at it I noticed it had an automatic transmission, which is definitely not what we ordered for you.” Yup, some bonehead somewhere didn’t look hard enough at the spec sheet and the manual option was bypassed.

As an offer of appeasement, since he knew I had originally wanted the ST but decided against it because of price, he said they would offer me a white ST2 they had on the lot at $500 below dealer cost to make it up to me. I thought long and hard about it, but decided I needed to be responsible and skip the ST.

I went in to look at the car and make sure I liked it the way I had spec’d it out, and talk to them in person about the screw up. They showed me the order they placed, with “manual transmission $0” clearly spelled out. It seems that since the manual is a no charge option, whoever took the order from the dealer and loaded it into the work order at the factory missed that line. So, I asked since they were willing to give me the ST below their invoice price, what can you do for me if I decide to reorder the car from them? They said that they were pretty much selling me the car at their cost as it was (the sale price we agreed on when I ordered the car was about $2300 below the sticker on the window of the car with the wrong tranny) but they would see what else they could do when the 2nd car came in. Also, they said Ford would give me $250 off on their end. Really, only $250? Ford Motor Company posted a pre-tax profit of $8.6 BILLION dollars last year, I was expecting a little more from them.

My question is, has this ever happened to anybody else here, and what do you guys think I should get for my added waiting time and aggravation? Also, I just have to say that this makes me a little weary of their quality control at the factory. How many people looked at this order and said “yup, looks all right to me”?
// End rant.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-11-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
First of all, FORD isn't the one selling you the car so don't get all pissy if you feel their generous offer of $250 isn't enough - considering you haven't bought anything yet.

And secondly, If it were me, I'd be demanding the dealership order me the correct car or give me back the deposit so I could go to a different dealership.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 PM   #3
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
If the dealership cared, they'd have already compensated you for the mistake by now. Anyone can make a mistake, it's how we own up to those mistakes that separate good from trash.

Take your deposit and get the hell out of there fast. Find another dealership.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 03-11-2014, 05:04 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 67 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Cancel & try again elsewhere sounds like a decent suggestion after thinking on this one.

The car they "got for you" sounds like a typical combination of options for a Dealer lot ordered car - not special like that model with a 5spd.

Who knows what happened to the "order" for what you wanted.

With current deals on existing cars, see what they or a different Dealer can get you from another Dealer. Likely to come out ahead on price if they can find one with options/color you like.

S.R. #275
Old 03-11-2014, 05:47 PM   #5
replica81
Focus Addict

Fan#: 88615
What I Drive: 05 ST

FF Reputation: 3 replica81 Good Standing Member
I really doubt the "accidental" car they tried to sell you was even the one you ordered.
SR #272
Beer and Metal.
Old 03-11-2014, 06:19 PM   #6
Budderybunz
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 107821
What I Drive: 2004 SVT Turbo

FF Reputation: 1 Budderybunz Good Standing Member
Get the ST. Thread closed.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:05 PM   #7
Salesguy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 147626
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Grey Ti Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 Salesguy Good Standing Member
You have a couple options.

1. Tell the dealer to re-order the car. They will.

2. Ask them to dealer trade a car in for you. If it exists, built somewhere, they can get it. If you don;t want any miles on it, as compensation for the wasted time, ask them to trailer it. They will.

3. Buy an in stock unit at another dealer. Hate to say it, but sometimes this happens to us sales guys.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:25 PM   #8
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 23 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
This is why you want to be there when they actually place the order if at all possible to confirm it went through correctly in the first place.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #9
Jvs1991
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 117489
What I Drive: 2013, Ruby Red, SE w/ Black pack

FF Reputation: 2 Jvs1991 Good Standing Member
Tell them you want the deposit back and you'll order it somewhere else. They may not wanna lose a sale and may help you out a bit more.
Old 03-11-2014, 07:47 PM   #10
geneticjim
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 126105
What I Drive: MK3 Silver Hatchback SEL, DCT

FF Reputation: 1 geneticjim Good Standing Member
I wish I got the ST

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->