How is the ride on the 18" wheels? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-13-2012, 02:13 PM   #11
Sonic_HedgeHog
Sonic Mk3 Crew #00

Fan#: 50003
What I Drive: '12 Sterling Focus SE 5dr Sport Pkg

FF Reputation: 18 Sonic_HedgeHog Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Bought '12 SE with Sport Pkg...

Put on 18" Sparco Assetto Garas wrapped in General G-Max AS03's (all season ZR rated). Cost mounted and balanced, shipped to me from TireRack $1500. If you wanted the TPMS sensors installed before shipment it was another like $150 plus $45 tool to sync with car.

Haven't had a single complaint...

Very happy camper!

Hatch Nation #156. Sonic's Mk3 Crew Founder and #00
Moderator: DURATEC Ti-VCT Performance, ST Performance, MK3 Focus, SW Fanatics, Sonic's MK3 Crew
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-13-2012, 03:03 PM   #12
Justintoxicated
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103386
What I Drive: Silver Focus 2012 Titanium MFT

FF Reputation: 1 Justintoxicated Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bolto View Post
Keep in mind that the handling package will not only affect the ride quality and noise, but also increase the turn radius and decrease your trunk space since it will have a full size spare.
the spare goes under the cargo hold anyways in the hatchback, so not really any difference. I have 18's it does seem to turn wide for a car of it's size, I can barley turn into my driveway without going over the median a bit (my driveway is like a 120 degree turn though. I bought it used so thats what was on it. I still get the suspension clunk even if the shocks etc are different. Not really complaining but I wold personally pick whichever would provide better gas mileage since this is my commuter car.
Old 10-13-2012, 05:59 PM   #13
Bolto
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101615
What I Drive: 2012 Plat White Ti

FF Reputation: 2 Bolto Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justintoxicated View Post
the spare goes under the cargo hold anyways in the hatchback, so not really any difference. I have 18's it does seem to turn wide for a car of it's size, I can barley turn into my driveway without going over the median a bit (my driveway is like a 120 degree turn though. I bought it used so thats what was on it. I still get the suspension clunk even if the shocks etc are different. Not really complaining but I wold personally pick whichever would provide better gas mileage since this is my commuter car.
The difference is that the non handling packages use a compact spare which is thinner, so the floor is raised less. That's why the hatch cargo floor is several inches higher than the back seats when they are folded down in a focus with the handling package.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #14
engine ear
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5447
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium Sterling Gray

FF Reputation: 1 engine ear Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
I wanted the 18's because: I wanted 5 spokes. I wanted a full(16")spare. I wanted stiffer suspension($595!! no brainer)Summer tires in AZ means all year..very grippy. Turning radius is not an issue when canyon carving...otherwise...still not an issue to me. Get 17's if a couple feet in turning radius means that much to you. Either way you'll love it.
Ride isn't loud and with the Sony system, the louder the ride noise the louder the sound system gets. They're 18 low profile...you'll feel some bumps...if that's a turnoff get some 14x70's...marshmallow ride...come on, it's somewhat of a handling machine...you're gonna feel things...you'll WANT to feel things. That's the point..no? You can always get the wagon wheel 22's...slightly higher ride...get a big brake kit with those...turning radius rivals the USS Ronald Reagan(an aircraft carrier).
My vote?....get the 18's

Last edited by engine ear; 10-13-2012 at 08:08 PM. Reason: more info
Old 10-14-2012, 12:05 PM   #15
Creamsicle
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91108
What I Drive: 2012 Ti hatch

FF Reputation: 2 Creamsicle Good Standing Member
I bought my Ti with the 18" wheels after driving SELs for two weeks on business trips. I give a slight edge to the 18s (and the accompanying Michelins) for grip and the other obvious advantages.

Living in Maryland, I replaced the tires almost immediately after buying the car a year ago... sold the summer tires and bought Kumho all seasons. The Kumhos [Komhoes?] now have 18k on them and are still going strong.

Back to the 17 vs 18 debate... one disadvantage is cargo space (I was glad to give this up b/c I wanted a "real" spare tire), and the fact that when folding down the rear seat you have two different flat levels instead of all the same plane. Another is the larger turn radius. I have to do a U turn on my street when parking at night and I can't do it in my Ti without doing a 3-point. I don't know if the 17s could do it, but I do know that my last car (2003 WRX wagon) could.

I like the looks of the 18s with the silver body color. They look like they match. I also like the black 17" rims with the gray or black body.

Bottom line, if I had to buy again I think I might go with the 17s. At least for the way I drive (not as aggressively as I used to) I think the 17s are perfectly adequate and when it's time to replace the rubber there are more and cheaper options at that size.
Old 10-14-2012, 01:23 PM   #16
StockTalon

Fan#: 94771
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 StockTalon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulgj View Post
Hi there,

will most certainly be buying a 2013 Titanium Hatch soon but can't decide if I want the standard 17" wheels or the 18 inchers included with the handling package. I live in Seattle so don't want the hassle of having to swap out the tires if I don't have to, would the "summer only" tires be OK in normal wet conditions and light snow? I do like the look of both wheels.

Also curious as to how the handling package equipped model and standard titanium compare as far as ride quality, road noise and handling.

If I got the 18" summer tires would it make sense to swap them out for all seasons?

Thanks!

P.S. Just discovered the Google search option so am finding a lot of good info and doesn't look like I can remove this post.

Paul
The Handling tires aren't bad but, they don't agree with slush and snow, they're not really affected by the temperature. Its still a street friendly, non high performance tire.

As far as ride with the handling package, its still soft and quiet like any other modern car. Its nice but, its not a track day package at all.

I wouldn't swap the original tires for all seasons, just get a set of winter tires for the winter and call it a day. I only have 15k on mine and, they are about dead so, next spring Ill swap them out for something better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks