2006 trunk release problem - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 04-05-2007, 10:06 PM   #1
jcar
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 21027
What I Drive: 2006 Focus ZX4 SES and 2006 Mustang

FF Reputation: 1 jcar Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2006 trunk release problem

I did a search but did not find anything on this problem. I bought my wife a 2006 Focus ZX4 SES in April 2006. Since then we have had it in 5 times because of problems with the remote trunk release. The dealer has replaced the assembly 4 times already, and we continue to have the same problem.

When she hits the remote on the key fob, or the button on the dash, all that happens is that it emits a loud rattlling sound and doesn't release. Does anyone have any suggestion for us to give the service tech? Is there maybe a TSB for this problem?

The dealer says that this is the only Focus they have seen with this problem, and cannot seem to fix it. Just last week they pulled the assembly from a 2007 that just came in that day, and 3 days later all we had was a loud rattle and no release again.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 04-05-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
Klondike
GreyRice WOoT!

Fan#: 25991
What I Drive: GI, '07 zx3 LG

Points 33,134, Level 100
Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100 Points: 33,134, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 53 Klondike Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (26)
^wow that sucks, maybe a fuse is blown somewhere, i say look at all the fuses, or find the fuse for the trunk, and ford NEEDS to fix it its under warranty, that just sucks, im wondering also if where the buttong is theres a bad ground or something
Velveeta Lover Shell#1
LOTH 00!
Old 04-05-2007, 10:57 PM   #3
jcar
Focus Rookie

Thanks for the thoughts, but it can't be a fuse. Power definitely is going to the assembly - it rattles and buzzes like mad! People jump when I hit the key fob to release the trunk. The dealer has been good about trying to find what is wrong, and has replaced the lock assembly 4 times already -- but as I said, it comes back within a very short time. I'm starting to wonder if it may be something mis aligned so the striker plate is getting pushed funny and twisting something since it is "fixed" for a short time when they replace the assembly. I suggested when I called this week to report that it already started the rattle and buzz that maybe it is time to call Ford engineers in since they can't seem to keep it fixed and this is the only reported one with this problem.
Old 04-05-2007, 11:01 PM   #4
goinloco1
Late for Dinner

Fan#: 8529
What I Drive: kermit

Points 14,653, Level 78
Points: 14,653, Level: 78 Points: 14,653, Level: 78 Points: 14,653, Level: 78
Level Up 51% Completed
Level up: 51% Level up: 51% Level up: 51%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 90 goinloco1 Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
Have them check the alignment of the trunk lid and for flexing of the trunklid. sounds like the catch and striker arent aligned and causing it to bind. theres only so much adjustment to the catch and sometimes the whole trunklid has to be realigned to get things straight.
fold the backseats down so someone can crawl through with a flashlight and watch where its striking while slowly being closed, adjust trunk lid, repeat as necessary...
Old 04-06-2007, 10:11 PM   #5
jcar
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by goinloco1 View Post
Have them check the alignment of the trunk lid and for flexing of the trunklid. sounds like the catch and striker arent aligned and causing it to bind. theres only so much adjustment to the catch and sometimes the whole trunklid has to be realigned to get things straight.
fold the backseats down so someone can crawl through with a flashlight and watch where its striking while slowly being closed, adjust trunk lid, repeat as necessary...

Thanks Goinloco -- that suggestion makes a lot of sense and is along the lines of what I was thinking. The dealer keeps replacing parts, but since that isn't working I figure it has to be something else. I'll bring your suggestion to them next time (have to wait a week, my wife and I are going on vacation so decided to hold off dropping it off since the loaner car will only sit in the garage all week -- dealer always gives me a loaner when he keeps it overnight, they have been very good about that, probably since I've bought 5 cars for myself and 3 more for clients from the same salesman since 2002).
Old 04-06-2007, 10:15 PM   #6
TKE_Quailman
FF God of South FL

Fan#: 44442
What I Drive: 07 Pitch Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 35 TKE_Quailman Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
4 times for same repair in florida = lemon
Last of the Hatches #1
XBOX LIVE:TKE428
GIVE REP POINTS IF IM HELPFUL
Old 04-16-2007, 07:01 PM   #7
edgofrea1ity
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 37842
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 edgofrea1ity Good Standing Member
Same problem here. There are other people who have problems with the trunk not opening (when the press remote open button) or closing. Just they haven't had the noise that we have. I just have given up and decided to use the key to get in...because ford isn't doing a damn thing about it.
ST Crew #47

Thanks mother nature for rasing us to some day kill you...[You dumb bitch!]
Old 04-16-2007, 07:55 PM   #8
jcar
Focus Rookie

After seeing Goinloco's comments I have found that when I get the noise now, if I grab the "wing" and move the trunk lid a little bit that the trunk opens fine. So my wife is taking the Focus in this week and going to ask them to check alignment and lid flex to see if that is the problem. Hopefully that will take care of the problem and I'll let you know the results.
Old 05-04-2007, 10:53 PM   #9
jcar
Focus Rookie

Got the Focus back today. The dealer realigned the trunk lid. So far, it is working fine. They kept it an extra day so that they could simply recycle the release several times before giving it back, and I've opened and closed it several times. It looks like they may have finally fixed it -- my wife printed out your comments Goinloco1 and gave it to them to consider. They said that this is the only Focus that has come in with this problem, but the trunk alignment made sense. If it comes back I'll let you know!
Old 05-05-2007, 04:04 AM   #10
edgofrea1ity
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 37842
What I Drive: 2006 Pitch Black ST

FF Reputation: 1 edgofrea1ity Good Standing Member
Im glad your trunk got fixxed...Mine I dont think I will be worring about....
ST Crew #47

Thanks mother nature for rasing us to some day kill you...[You dumb bitch!]

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.