TPMS sensor functioning. - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack

Wheels & Tires - Sponsored By Tire Rack The place to go for answers on wheel types, tire sizes, offset, wheel patterns and more.
Sponsored By:
Tire Rack

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-15-2011, 10:51 PM   #1
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 84808
What I Drive: 2010 E-350 Coupe/2012 Titanium Htbk

FF Reputation: 5 e350 coupe Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
TPMS sensor functioning.

So for preparing for winter I purchased the following

4 18" oem titanium wheels
4 215/45/18 michelin ice-x2 tires
4 ford oem tpms sensors with resetting tool
4 oem mud flaps

I had all the tires mounted and balanced at my local Ford dealer.

Being that it is getting cold rather quickly, I spent the day swapping the tires and installing the factory oem mud flaps.

The factory tires look good, and the oem mud flaps are the best fit I have ever seen.

So I go for a long ride, then coffee, then a long ride and then to local gas station to check air pressure in cold weather, as tires will loose 1 pound pressure for every 10 degree drop in temperature.

Needless to say at no time did the tpms sensor ever trigger a fault on the dashboard, as of yet I have never reset the sensors to allow the computer to even know that these new wheels and tires are present.

The factory rims and tires are stored off site so the car is not reading them 10 miles away.

So my question is, does the tpms system even work or does it automatically recognize the new sensors.

Everything except the tires are oem part numbers, designed for this vehicle.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
GapBoyPCS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 54
What I Drive: 2002 ZTS | 2012 SE Sport

FF Reputation: 1 GapBoyPCS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
My understanding is that the Focus' system needs to be reset by a dealer or someone having a reset tool. The vehicle has no "learning mode" to tell it that new sensors/wheels have been installed. I believe some have said that their cars didn't trigger a light, but some may have had their lights go on after a few days.

As for the tire pressure and drop, yes, the rule is that the tire pressure changes by 1 psi per 10 degree change. But make sure you take the pressure measurement when the tires are cold and not after a long ride. My experience has been that this can be the case, but usually it is gradual, so you might not get an instantaneous drop in just a few hours.
Old 10-15-2011, 11:26 PM   #3
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,256, Level 35
Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35 Points: 3,256, Level: 35
Level Up 38% Completed
Level up: 38% Level up: 38% Level up: 38%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
needs to be reset by the mechanic who does the tires or your dealership, as I understand its a fairly simple procedure, but I don't know the specifics. It actually has to be done even with the same set of TPMS sensors, like the Mazda wheels I had they were swappable, but have to be changed for the different rims.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-15-2011, 11:29 PM   #4
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

I hope that it doesn't take a couple of day for the light to come on, as that would be absolutely useless if you had a sudden loss of air in your tires.

I guess I might have to wait and see.

I got the reset tool from steve at Tousley Ford for $32
Old 10-16-2011, 07:23 AM   #5
gerryyy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 15001
What I Drive: 2006 ST Focus

Points 503, Level 10
Points: 503, Level: 10 Points: 503, Level: 10 Points: 503, Level: 10
Level Up 6% Completed
Level up: 6% Level up: 6% Level up: 6%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 gerryyy Good Standing Member
TPMS just another way big government intrudes into your life.
Old 10-17-2011, 08:07 PM   #6
e350 coupe
Focus Enthusiast

Day 3

up until today, nothing I switched rims and tires with new sensors, and absolutely nothing.

going down I-5 to Bellingham, then small screen alert comes on, telling me problems with TPMS system as a "FAULT". followed by buzzing, and pinging then flashing tire indicator light comes up on speedo display, and also a trouble light by gas gauge. flashing light on speedo finally stopped flashing and went to solid and buzzing on display cancelled.

ok, I think I can live with this now that I have been notified, now I sit in line at Costco gas pumps, turn off car, then re-start it a minute later, guess what, alarms and buzzers all starting again, I attempt to reset TPMS sensors while in line, 3/4 way through procedure and guess what car ahead moves forward, needless to say I cancel procedure, and pull forward.

finally after 20 minutes in line I am finished, and pull into parking lot and park, I attempt to start "reset procedure" first time nothing, second time nothing, third time I get a confirmation honk of horn to go, tire by tire, triggering sensor for car to learn new codes, at least all worked with each new sensor, getting a confirmation honk, and no final honk of horn to indicate a mistake. I restart car all is silent and no warnings.

I guess the $32 trigger was worth it, and next time in spring, when I change tires back to summer, I will innate new sensors immediately.

and if anyone is wanting to know what the programming is, here is what I used for the pushbutton start vehicle, which I believe at this time is only the Titanium models.

If your vehicle has push-button ignition:

1. Make sure all tires are inflated to the vehicle’s recommended inflation pressures (found in the owner’s manual on the door placard).

2. Make sure the ignition button is OFF then press and release the brake pedal.

3. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

4. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

5. Press and release the brake pedal.

6. Tap the ignition button once so the vehicle is OFF.

7. Hold the ignition button down for 2 seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

The vehicle should be OFF. Hold the ignition button down for another two seconds, release it, and then tap the button once.

8. Hold the ignition button down for two seconds again. The vehicle should be in RUN mode, engine off.

9. The horn should sound letting you know the vehicle has entered into TPMS relearn mode.

10. Place the top of FORDTRIGGER on the sidewall of the driver’s side front tire in the location of the valve stem.

11. Press the button of the FORDTRIGGER tool. The vehicle’s horn will sound letting you know the sensor has been learned.

12. Once the horn sounds, move on to the passenger side front tire and repeat the process.

Each tire should only take 30 seconds or less.

13. After the passenger side front tire has been learned, continue on to the passenger side rear tire and finishing with the driver’s side rear tire.

14. You may now turn the ignition to OFF.

If the horn does not sound, the sensors were learned successfully.

If the horn sounds twice, then the process must be repeated because there was a malfunction.

If after doing this numerous times and actually successful you are entitled to go to the local bar and have a drink.
Old 10-20-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
LVSBB6
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91020
What I Drive: 2011 Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 1 LVSBB6 Good Standing Member
This is great info, thanks for sharing.

Do you have the part number for the TPMS reset/trigger tool by any chance?

Last edited by LVSBB6; 10-20-2011 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:43 PM   #8
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
If this is the case, TPMS system on the Focus is worthless. My Fusion would alert of low tire pressure or TPMS fault before you even pulled out of the garage.

Thing is we can do without the TPMS system, but the one on the focus is both worthless and annoying because then it starts bugging you after a few days.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:54 PM   #9
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by csvt2060 View Post
If this is the case, TPMS system on the Focus is worthless. My Fusion would alert of low tire pressure or TPMS fault before you even pulled out of the garage.

Thing is we can do without the TPMS system, but the one on the focus is both worthless and annoying because then it starts bugging you after a few days.
I thought the way it worked (I could be wrong) was that the car checks the monitors intermittently (to save their batteries) just to make sure the little buggers are still working. If not, they give you that error 2 days later (not sure why it takes so long...) But if they sense low tire pressure, they immediately send a signal to the car. Our problem is that we're removing the tires completely; they don't have low pressure.

If you want to test the system, let out 10-15psi and see if you automatically get a warning. If not, then you're right - they're worthless.
Old 10-20-2011, 01:58 PM   #10
csvt2060
Focus Addict

Fan#: 84122
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Escape Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 csvt2060 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I thought the way it worked (I could be wrong) was that the car checks the monitors intermittently (to save their batteries) just to make sure the little buggers are still working. If not, they give you that error 2 days later (not sure why it takes so long...) But if they sense low tire pressure, they immediately send a signal to the car. Our problem is that we're removing the tires completely; they don't have low pressure.

If you want to test the system, let out 10-15psi and see if you automatically get a warning. If not, then you're right - they're worthless.
According to motorcraft documents, the sensors wake up at 15 MPH, and go to sleep after 15 minutes of inactivity.

See my original TPMS thread for the update on your second comment.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.