Just bought my first Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2012, 11:54 PM   #1
Ferox
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104757
What I Drive: 2002 Black Focus Se

FF Reputation: 1 Ferox Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Just bought my first Focus

Hey everyone! I just picked up a 2002 Focus Se 4 door Auto with a bad SPI motor. Not 100% sure if it's a valve seat or just a Head Gasket, haven't heard the entire back story on what happened to it. All I know for sure currently is the oil is very diluted with coolant and as expected looks like peanut butter.

The car itself is in great shape and was well taken care of. Has just over 144k on it. I have read enough about these Engine's that I have already decided to go the Zetec swap route vs wasting time on another SPI. I have found a few write ups and plenty of information on the Engine swap itself and have been writing up a list of what i'll need. What I haven't found much information on is also swaping to a Manual transaxle. Im planning on Daily Driving this Focus after the swap and I just can't bring myself to drive an Automatic. I figured since I'll already be swapping the motor I might as well swap out the Trans.

A little history about myself, I have plenty of experience in the auto industry including time as a tech for a local Ford Dealership. I have done similar swaps in ford Probes, DSM's and others so I am familiar with the process. I will be doing all the work myself at home.

I am looking for more information on what parts exactly I need especially for the mtx swap. I will continue searching for more information on my own but any help with links or tips is greatly appreciated.

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 12:23 AM   #2
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

Points 34,123, Level 100
Points: 34,123, Level: 100 Points: 34,123, Level: 100 Points: 34,123, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
I can tell you right now. Find a complete car, try to make it the same year. Take your time and pull everything you'll need a lot and changing transmissions is going to need even more. All the coolant lines, all the wiring from under the hood then it weaves under the fender into the car and goes back to the fuel tank. grab all the vacuum lines, engine mount, make sure you get all the accessories. A/C, water pump, power steering pump, alternator. make sure you grab the throttle and cruise controls cables. As I mentioned in the other thread you'll need the axles and you'll also need the shift linkage, peddles, shifter.

It'll be easier to just strip the car of everything from the rear tires forward. Minus the interior and such of course.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:29 AM   #3
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 34,123, Level 100
Points: 34,123, Level: 100 Points: 34,123, Level: 100 Points: 34,123, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Call around for good deals. I happened to get lucky and the place I was calling that had a few zetecs on hand. Had just happen to get in a complete wrecked zx5 and they said I could have what I want for $500. Of course a lot was damaged in the front and I had to piece together so stuff and figure out what was missing but after a few trips to the parts store, I got less than $1000 in mine as off now.

An oh yea don't for get the ECU with that harness.
Old 10-12-2012, 12:54 AM   #4
Ferox
Focus Rookie

I will be doing a ton of shopping around. Luckily I have two of the best U pick it junk yards within 30 miles of my home so chances are I'll save myself a lot of money being able to pull the parts myself. it would be nice to find a wrecked car to strip everything from but we'll see how it shakes out. I plan on this being my winter project. No big hurry as I'll just continue driving my Explorer until the Focus is done.

I have found a couple great write ups and part list's for the mtx swaps but a few of them mention modifying the wiring harnesses. I know i'll have to replace both harness under the hood to swap both the motor and the trans and add the harness that goes to the tank. If I swap over to a mtx ECU will i have to change any pin out's on the harness? Im going for a factory install finish. No CEL's or !'s. I've found a couple of links for wiring diagrams that are long deleted or expired. Im guess i'll have to add a circuit for the neutral safety switch and for the clutch switch if i want to retain factory starting ability?
Old 10-17-2012, 06:32 PM   #5
Ferox
Focus Rookie

Will a Zetec from a 2001 se/s wagon work? May have found a complete donor car that was wrecked.
Old 12-14-2012, 10:36 PM   #6
Ferox
Focus Rookie

I haven't made any progress yet. I will be making Trips to my local junk yards starting Monday to start pulling the necessary parts. I can get a complete engine with accessories and wiring for 219.00 plus an 80.00 core, but I have a spare 4.0l v6 laying around I will turn in for a core
Old 12-14-2012, 11:09 PM   #7
seventystangfan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104922
What I Drive: 02 Frost Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 seventystangfan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Sweet plans! Good luck with piecing it all together, it makes for a rewarding feeling at the end. :-)

Basketball goals=EVIL

Hatch Nation #wannabe
Old 12-15-2012, 12:01 AM   #8
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Points 34,123, Level 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Forum Activity 5%
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferox View Post
Will a Zetec from a 2001 se/s wagon work? May have found a complete donor car that was wrecked.
Yes, a zetec from a wagon will work. They still have the same wheel base too.
Old 12-17-2012, 05:01 PM   #9
gondorian
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 105695
What I Drive: 2002 wgn (Selling) 2004 2.3 wgn 5sp

Points 1,478, Level 21
Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21 Points: 1,478, Level: 21
Level Up 78% Completed
Level up: 78% Level up: 78% Level up: 78%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 gondorian Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (2)
for the MTX wagon the died to bring your project to life.

I hope it goes well. Post some pictures along the way too, if it's not too much trouble (threads are always better with pics).
Old 12-17-2012, 11:58 PM   #10
Ferox
Focus Rookie

I didn't end up buying the Wagon, someone else got to it before me.

But, I have just come across the next best thing! A Wrecked 2003 Zts 4door 5 Speed stick! If this deal goes through I will have everything I need to do the swap and finally get my Focus on the road.. eventually!

I will be posting plenty of pictures.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.