Weapon R intake manifold - first impressions - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > DURATEC Performance (2003-2011)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2011) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #1
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102583
What I Drive: 2005 Saleen Sonic Blue S121

FF Reputation: 1 AllCarFan Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Weapon R intake manifold - first impressions

Today I received my weapon R intake manifold. I have not installed it yet. However, here are my first impressions

Pros:

-The intake is very very light. Like, ridiculously light. The welds are thin, but done really well.
-The finish is nice a shiny
-instructions seem very straight fwd, no drilling, grinding or relocating of anything

That is where the Pros end

Cons:
- Instructions are in black and white, pics are a little hard to see
-one instruction reads "use supplied bolts" - I have gone through the entire package and there are no bolts. There are some non-threaded aluminum spacers that are not referenced anywhere in the instruction manual
-My CFM throttle body will not fit. I assume that a stock throttle body will not fit either. There is one hold for the throttle body that is off by about 1/2". There is no way it is going to fit unless I drill a new hole and tap it or run a bolt and a nut

I am about to send an email to weapon-R to let them know about this.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
04ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90071
What I Drive: 2004 Black ZX3 D23

FF Reputation: 1 04ZX3 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllCarFan View Post
Today I received my weapon R intake manifold. I have not installed it yet. However, here are my first impressions

Pros:

-The intake is very very light. Like, ridiculously light. The welds are thin, but done really well.
-The finish is nice a shiny
-instructions seem very straight fwd, no drilling, grinding or relocating of anything

That is where the Pros end

Cons:
- Instructions are in black and white, pics are a little hard to see
-one instruction reads "use supplied bolts" - I have gone through the entire package and there are no bolts. There are some non-threaded aluminum spacers that are not referenced anywhere in the instruction manual
-My CFM throttle body will not fit. I assume that a stock throttle body will not fit either. There is one hold for the throttle body that is off by about 1/2". There is no way it is going to fit unless I drill a new hole and tap it or run a bolt and a nut

I am about to send an email to weapon-R to let them know about this.

What year duratec are you trying to install this on? If I'm not mistaken, that weapon R intake manifold will only work with 2.3s that have the drive by wire throttle bodies. And the only vehicles with that are the later model mazda 3s. I may be wrong though, hopefully someone else can chime in

D23 Crew #31
Old 09-11-2012, 04:59 AM   #3
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

The weapon r site says 2004 thru 2007 focus. No engine designation.
Old 09-11-2012, 05:17 AM   #4
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

looking at the instructions, it appears as if 04ZX3's suspicions have been confirmed.

"remove wiring harness and disconnect coolant lines" is the only instruction to remove the throttle body. This leads me to believe that this is designed for a drive by wire application.

However, with that being said, what woulld be the difference, other than the mounting holes for the tb? I bolted the CFM TB on there (three holes) and the throttle blade still opens and closes with no contact. It looks like I would just need to drill a new hole for the TB (which isnt hard).

I am going to give weapon-r a call today and ask why they do not say anything on their site about this only fitting a drive-by-wire vehicle - nor is there any info online that I could find regarding this only fitting a drive-by-wire vehicle.
Old 09-11-2012, 07:54 AM   #5
04ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
looking at the instructions, it appears as if 04ZX3's suspicions have been confirmed.

"remove wiring harness and disconnect coolant lines" is the only instruction to remove the throttle body. This leads me to believe that this is designed for a drive by wire application.

However, with that being said, what woulld be the difference, other than the mounting holes for the tb? I bolted the CFM TB on there (three holes) and the throttle blade still opens and closes with no contact. It looks like I would just need to drill a new hole for the TB (which isnt hard).

I am going to give weapon-r a call today and ask why they do not say anything on their site about this only fitting a drive-by-wire vehicle - nor is there any info online that I could find regarding this only fitting a drive-by-wire vehicle.
I think it's the 04 - 07 MKII foci across seas that have drive by wire throttle bodies. If you could modify the weapon R mounting bracket to securely fit your CFM TB, I'd do it. I'd be interested to see how your numbers improve. The longer runner length wouldn't make as much horsepower as the Cossie but you'd make some nice torque

It sucks that we don't have more options for intake manifolds

D23 Crew #31
Old 09-11-2012, 08:07 AM   #6
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

THe only modification it would take would be for me to drill and tap a bolt hole for the TB. I am under the assumption that the EGR and other hoses would hook right up.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:13 AM   #7
04ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
THe only modification it would take would be for me to drill and tap a bolt hole for the TB. I am under the assumption that the EGR and other hoses would hook right up.
Hmm, possibly, I don't know how those systems changed for non-US foci. You will definitely need a tune with this intake manifold because it deletes your tumble flaps. You could also disable the EGR which would help as well when it comes time to putting it on.

D23 Crew #31
Old 09-11-2012, 08:17 AM   #8
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

I thought the 2.0 didnt have tumble flaps? I purchased a tuner from Tom the other day. I will get him to write me a new tune once I get this and the TB on. I COULD delete the EGR, but I would have to research it.

I will probably mock it all up this weekend (after speaking with weapon-r), and see if everything fits. It looks like the install shouldnt take but maybe an hour or two.
Old 09-11-2012, 08:30 AM   #9
04ZX3
Focus Enthusiast

Quote:
I thought the 2.0 didnt have tumble flaps? I purchased a tuner from Tom the other day. I will get him to write me a new tune once I get this and the TB on. I COULD delete the EGR, but I would have to research it.

I will probably mock it all up this weekend (after speaking with weapon-r), and see if everything fits. It looks like the install shouldnt take but maybe an hour or two.
You're right, I don't know why I thought you had a 2.3. If you get this to work without any serious issues, people would have another option for intake manifolds. The UK company Mountune makes/made a really nice long runner style manifold but the 1100 pound price tag is a bit much

D23 Crew #31
Old 09-11-2012, 08:33 AM   #10
AllCarFan
Focus Enthusiast

I could easily fabricate this myself.

Bookmarks & Social Networks