2006 SES Hatch - rear passenger door lock "stuck" in unlock position - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 01-05-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
BullDog
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 67689
What I Drive: 2009 Blue SES and 2006 Red ZX5 SES

FF Reputation: 1 BullDog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2006 SES Hatch - rear passenger door lock "stuck" in unlock position

I have tried to use the search function but haven't been able to come up with the right wording to possibly find a previous thread that is identical to my situation.

Some time ago (don't know when) I realized that the passenger side rear door wouldn't lock anymore. I only have some 41,000 miles on it (65,400 km) and aside from opening either rear door to toss groceries in the back, it didn't get tons of use. It doesn't lock/unlock when using the key fob (all other doors do) and I cannot manually lock/unlock it either. Short of using a crow bar, no amount of manual effort can get it to budge.

I did the unthinkable today and brought it to the dealer (hoping it'd be covered under the Ford ESP extended warranty - no dice) and they told me I needed a new door latch. Apparently it's in the $350 range for the part (I think - don't recall him saying that'd be part and labour).

The door opens and closes - all I remember is that I was golfing one day and my playing partner wandered over to the car and opened the door before I got a chance to unlock it... to my horror as this "issue" leaves the car completely unsecured, and I had been driving my equipment around for weeks at that point.

I'm reasonably handy - I once successfully diagnosed (with a hope and a prayer) and replaced a windshield washer fluid pump on my wife-to-be's car... and therefore I figure that if I were able to get the part cheaper (ie: not at a dealer and through some online source) and had some time, I might be able to make the repair myself.

Does this "you need a door latch" diagnosis make sense? If so, how complicated a repair is it? I imagine you have to take the trim and panel off the inside of the door and likely get into a small enough place to remove and replace whatever...

Thoughts?

Mike

Old 01-05-2012, 04:36 PM   #2
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
I have tried to use the search function but haven't been able to come up with the right wording to possibly find a previous thread that is identical to my situation.

Some time ago (don't know when) I realized that the passenger side rear door wouldn't lock anymore. I only have some 41,000 miles on it (65,400 km) and aside from opening either rear door to toss groceries in the back, it didn't get tons of use. It doesn't lock/unlock when using the key fob (all other doors do) and I cannot manually lock/unlock it either. Short of using a crow bar, no amount of manual effort can get it to budge.

I did the unthinkable today and brought it to the dealer (hoping it'd be covered under the Ford ESP extended warranty - no dice) and they told me I needed a new door latch. Apparently it's in the $350 range for the part (I think - don't recall him saying that'd be part and labour).

The door opens and closes - all I remember is that I was golfing one day and my playing partner wandered over to the car and opened the door before I got a chance to unlock it... to my horror as this "issue" leaves the car completely unsecured, and I had been driving my equipment around for weeks at that point.

I'm reasonably handy - I once successfully diagnosed (with a hope and a prayer) and replaced a windshield washer fluid pump on my wife-to-be's car... and therefore I figure that if I were able to get the part cheaper (ie: not at a dealer and through some online source) and had some time, I might be able to make the repair myself.

Does this "you need a door latch" diagnosis make sense? If so, how complicated a repair is it? I imagine you have to take the trim and panel off the inside of the door and likely get into a small enough place to remove and replace whatever...

Thoughts?

Mike
Mike, I know nothing about the 06, but I would remove the door panel and check all electrical connections. When you are in the back seat and lock it using the fob, do you hear a click in the problem door? Do you hear a click in all other doors? It is more likely a bad or loose connection than the latch. If the latch is rusty, see if you can free it up with some lubricant.

It should be an easy fix and I'll bet the latch is fine.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:22 AM   #3
BullDog
Focus Rookie

When I use the fob or the lock/unlock button in the front seat, three of the four doors lock/unlock on demand. Nothing happens at the affected door. I can manually lock/unlock all three of them, but not the affected door - it's stuck good. I can't hear anything coming from the door if I'm beside it trying to lock/unlock it with the fob, but it isn't "quiet enough" with ambient noise or noise coming from the other three doors to hear any minute noise that might come from it.

The fact that it can't be budged manually is the part that gets me most confused - surely a loose electrical connection couldn't seize it, would it? And would a 5 year old car with only 65,000km on it possibly have enough corrosion in one little area (car looks new when washed and polished) to have rusted inside the door?

Alright - when I get a chance to take the car to a warm garage in the coming weeks, I'll bring some tools and some lube and see what happens. Will keep you posted. Thanks.
Old 01-06-2012, 07:29 AM   #4
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
When I use the fob or the lock/unlock button in the front seat, three of the four doors lock/unlock on demand. Nothing happens at the affected door. I can manually lock/unlock all three of them, but not the affected door - it's stuck good. I can't hear anything coming from the door if I'm beside it trying to lock/unlock it with the fob, but it isn't "quiet enough" with ambient noise or noise coming from the other three doors to hear any minute noise that might come from it.

The fact that it can't be budged manually is the part that gets me most confused - surely a loose electrical connection couldn't seize it, would it? And would a 5 year old car with only 65,000km on it possibly have enough corrosion in one little area (car looks new when washed and polished) to have rusted inside the door?

Alright - when I get a chance to take the car to a warm garage in the coming weeks, I'll bring some tools and some lube and see what happens. Will keep you posted. Thanks.
You may be able to inspect the condition of the latch using a bright light. I still recommend removing the door panel to see more. You may have to unbolt the latch to actually see how it is connected and to determine what is causing it to fail.

Bob
Old 01-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Quote:
Hey Bulldog,

PM your contact info so I can escalate your concern to the regional Customer Service Manager.

Thanks,

Noemi

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordFocus facebook.com/Ford
Old 01-06-2012, 04:36 PM   #6
BullDog
Focus Rookie

Done - thanks, Noemi!
Old 02-07-2012, 08:10 AM   #7
surfinsam
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94711
What I Drive: 2006 focus wagon white

FF Reputation: 1 surfinsam Good Standing Member
Resolution of this problem?

Having the exact same issue, any resolution on this? Thanks.
Old 02-22-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
BullDog
Focus Rookie

Good/bad news... After about eight months, the lock magically started to work again today. Not only mechanically (lock/unlock) but it locked itself when I left work this morning. It sounded funny at first which is why I noticed...

I wish I had an explanation... Here's hoping it is permanent!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:10 PM   #9
surfinsam
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94711
What I Drive: 2006 focus wagon white

FF Reputation: 1 surfinsam Good Standing Member
Same problem - possible solution

I had the same problem exactly.
In frustration and boredom whilst sitting at a traffic light today,
I pressed the unlock and lock switch repeatedly. The last thing I did was to hold the lock switch down for about 20 seconds.

The rear lock now works properly. Go figure.
Maybe this reset and snychronized the locking system. I have no idea, but hopefully they all stay functional.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:46 PM   #10
Focus06 Driver
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104692
What I Drive: 2006 Red Focus

FF Reputation: 1 Focus06 Driver Good Standing Member
Same problem - how long did yours persist?

I just had the rear passenger door lock fail today. Just found this thread and attempted locking/unlocking doors repeatedly, as well as just holding for lock position. No luck. Had moments where locks ceased to respond, but after a short wait, the 3 working locks would function again. No change with the stuck-in-unlock door.

I'll try again tomorrow, probably while in morning traffic. Bulldog, I know it self-resolved for you after a few months. Surfinsam (or any others reading this who have had this problem too), I'm wondering how long the problem persisted for you?

I'm reluctant to take straight to dealer for the usual reasons. However, I'm also reluctant to leave this be for too long. Pain to constantly empty car, but unlocked doors in this area get tested.

If it doesn't resolve tomorrow, plan (before booking into dealership) is to take off door panel and investigate. Any tips on this (removing door panel and what then) would also be welcome.

Thanks in advance!

Bookmarks & Social Networks