Amsoil Oil help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus First Generation > DURATEC Performance (2003-2007)

DURATEC Performance (2003-2007) The place to chat about any Duratec 23, 23E, and 20 engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 11-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #1
j-dane
Focus Addict

Fan#: 10888
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZX3 2.3L Duratec

FF Reputation: 1 j-dane Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Amsoil Oil help

I've been wanting to change to Amsoil Oil butI have a few q's

1. I know the duratec recommends 5-20 but I've heard it's better to use 5-30 and such, what should I get ( I occasionaly drive hard)

2. Is it ok to use a different oil Filter like STP?

3. Amsoil is said to last long like a 6 month interval change, how much mileage do u guys go to change the oil. I feel like going 12k is too long.

4. I live in CA, where can I get one? or do u know a site to get it?

5. Also want to change the manual tranny fluid, info on what to get and how many bottles and what to add.

Sorry for so many q's but if u can try and answer all q's it would be very helpful.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 11-12-2004, 12:38 PM   #2
witzend
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 13292
What I Drive: 05 Focus ST Silver

FF Reputation: 1 witzend Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
You'd have to go to AmsOil.com to find a dealer near you. Amsoil states that you can change the oil it self every 12k miles, and the filter every 6. I would recommend using the amsoil filter, and oil together, their warrenty would req. it. As for the type of oil, its up to you and how you drive. The colder it is, the thinner you want it, so it still "pours". The warmer it is, the thicker the oil, so it does not break down as fast. I run Mobil1 5w-30 in my ST, and havent had any probs, or conerns yet. Just remeber if you start running synthetic, you should NOT go back to reg. (organic). That causes all sorts of problems with gum and varnish deposits.
Old 11-13-2004, 01:16 AM   #3
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
It is way over kill to use full synthetic. I don't care what anyone says, it just doesn't justify the cost. I have 275,000 miles on my ranger pick up. It has seen nothing but regular dino oil. Do you think you'll keep your focus that long? I doubt it. Stick with the motorcraft semi-synthetic that it came with, and the motorcraft filter and the engine will last longer than you need it to. and yes, you can go back to dino oils after using synthetic. It does not harm anything. The only problem with synthetic besides the high cost is that when the engine gets lots of miles on it, synthetic oil leaks past the seals easier. BTW, at my local walmart, motorcraft semi synthetic oil is $1.48 a quart. How can you beat that? and with fords blessing to boot!
ST crew #18
Old 11-13-2004, 04:49 AM   #4
mustang2focus82
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8223
What I Drive: 2006 Grnd Touring Z

FF Reputation: 1 mustang2focus82 Good Standing Member
im 200miles past due on my oil change. What part# filter should i look for for my duratec? Is it the same filter as a regular zetec focus?
Old 11-13-2004, 05:17 AM   #5
mustang2focus82
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 8223
What I Drive: 2006 Grnd Touring Z

FF Reputation: 1 mustang2focus82 Good Standing Member
nm found it -Fl190. or something like that. D'oh. forgot already.
Old 11-13-2004, 03:31 PM   #6
witzend
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 13292
What I Drive: 05 Focus ST Silver

FF Reputation: 1 witzend Good Standing Member
Ummm...i've been told by lots of mech heads that gafter running sythentic for a couple thousand miles then going back to dino oil, isn't good at all. And the cost, Mobile1 synthetic and labor cost me about $25 at Tires Plus. buy the oil at Wally world for $19.84 and the labor and disposal fee. Its not that bad, and its best to let your seals soak up wahtever. Here's a point. A $40k Vette comes with synthetic from the facotry, no break in nothing, and they recommend that all the life of the car. 1k miles or 200k. Take the word of a shop or dealership when it comes to oil, no one here has done enough oil changes (tech's excluded) to know which is best yet. Read up on it, and make the choice. I noticed a difference in my ST, and previous cars, some people don't. If you ahve $10k worht of mods on your car, you're right. Oil wont change much. But Royal Purple, and Amsoil dont have a GOOD reputation, because nothing changed when you added their product.

Bookmarks & Social Networks