The magical adventures of SCT - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Marketplace > Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews

Vendors, Dealers & Seller Reviews Good or Bad dealings? Post your vendor, dealer or seller recommendations, feedback and comments here. Members who knowingly post false or malicious information will be banned from the site.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-08-2012, 11:55 AM   #1
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Fan#: 66026
What I Drive: '06 WRX Wagon 285whp/292wtq

Points 7,515, Level 57
Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57 Points: 7,515, Level: 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Level up: 83% Level up: 83% Level up: 83%
Forum Activity 13%
Activity: 13% Activity: 13% Activity: 13%
FF Reputation: 9 ViperThreat Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
The magical adventures of SCT

I think it’s about time to make this public so that those of you who care to read can join me on my adventure. This isn’t a good or bad review – yet. This is here so that we can be the eye in the sky as Johnny SCT makes the decision between good customer service, and bad. Sit back, grab a beer, and join me:

As some of you may know, in mid-June, I began my turbo install. It was a lengthy process as I was doing all the work myself. I hit a few snags here and there, but come mid-July, (or about 3 weeks later), the install was completed. This is where the adventure starts, and though my records are not exact, I will try to maintain its accuracy as best as possible.

Once the install had been completed, it came time to tune. I had previously purchased the SCT X3 from Tom. As some of you know, the SVT PCM is a bit finicky with tuning, and it is not always the friendliest. Some people have had to go as far as sending the PCM into SCT to have them make some changes. Many have had to pull certain fuses, and some have had to follow a certain sequence to get the tuner to work.
There has been speculation on what the cause of this may be. Some say that it’s a case of a crappy PCM made my Bosch, some say that it’s a case of faulty programming that only works some of the time; others say it is a case of both, and I am inclined to agree with this third option.

On July 16th, I called SCT for the first time. I left a voicemail with the waiting list, and was not called back. On the 17th, I called again in the morning, a voicemail was left, and no call-back was received. Finally on the 18th, after nearly an hour of hold music, I finally heard a human voice. Adam Gloe informed me with the general basics, how to install a tune, what fuses to pull, etc. He told me that it was likely a case of having a corrupt stock tune and had me email him the tunes on my device.

On July 19th, I called and left a voicemail for Adam, he called me back later in the day, and he installed a “repaired” tune to my device and had me try that. There were no changes . At this point, I was no longer able to do anything with the tuning device. Every time, at 94%, the device would fail. I called and talked to adam regarding such.
On July 23rd, I emailed Adam requesting an update about what to do. After calling, I was told that they were going to send me a laoner X2 that was known to be more stable with the SVT’s PCM. I would need to take my car to Ford and have them reflash it to stock.
July 24th, I tow my car to Ford.

On july 25th, I had not heard back regarding the loaner X2, so I sent another email inquring about it. Later that same day, Ford called me and told me that they could not connect to my PCM, and that they would need to rewire my whole car in order to check any further. I was not ready to pay $2400 to have them rewire the car, so I called AAA to have them come tow it back. AAA told me a tow truck would arrive within 45 minutes of my call, and they did.. except it wasn’t a tow truck, it was a van. The van driver wanted me to try and roll-start my car. I told him that if he touched my car I would sue. Then sat in the sun for 4 hours until a proper flatbed arrived and took me home. AAA lost major points with me that day. I later found out that their servers had crashed, and that there were quite a few mistakes on their end that day.. oh well. Shit happens.
I called SCT, and they told me to ship my PCM. They sent me a shipping label, and I shipped it off the next morning.

July 27th – I received an email from Adam stating that the PCM had been received and tested. Apparently a microchip had been fried, and they were sourcing a new PCM. After emailing him that I could find a used PCM and ship it to them, he told me that they had already ordered one.
July 30th - I send an email to Adam asking for an update regarding the PCM. No reply received.

August 7th - I have not heard from SCT in over a week regarding the case, so I call in, apparently the company they ordered the PCM from had an inventory error and did not actually have one in stock. I offer again to source one via part-outs and the focus community, they said they were already working on another. I insisted that they give me some sort of update when the cay regarding the replacement PCM.
I will update this as I can.

At this point, my car has officially been on jack stands for the past 2 months; nearly half of that being due to this single issue. The amount of difficulty that this has caused me is immeasurable, and I could spend all day listing ways that this has adversely affected me. But I won’t. Because I know shit happens sometimes and that arguing about it only makes things worse.
My experience with SCT thus far has been very 50/50. The 2-hour hold times, the slow, or lack of replies to voicemails and emails has been very frustrating. On the other hand, the times that I have talked to them, they have been very helpful and professional. They have also said that they would pay for the cost of the issue which is good as well. In many ways they are walking the fine thread between good and bad, and as a customer support rep myself, I am giving them the benefit of the doubt in this regard.

So here is this thread. Half of me is glad that SCT on the surface appears to be doing something, but the other half of me is disappointed at the poor level of communication that I have experienced. 100% of me is disappointed that my car is still on jackstands.

"Ford Focus ST - the official car of message-board circle-jerks"
-Regular Car Reviews
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-09-2012, 01:35 PM   #2
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Points 7,515, Level 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Update - Aug 9 - Adam just emailed me with an update that the replacement PCM is shipping to them, and he would update me when they receive it.

-Regular Car Reviews
Old 08-18-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
stilix
Zzzykeyah!!!!!!

Fan#: 53230
What I Drive: 2007 liquid grey metallic ZX3

FF Reputation: 4 stilix Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (13)
Dam that sucks Richard.
Old 08-20-2012, 01:08 AM   #4
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Fan#: 55157
What I Drive: zx3 turbo, kia soul, 71 chevy c/10

Points 14,475, Level 78
Points: 14,475, Level: 78 Points: 14,475, Level: 78 Points: 14,475, Level: 78
Level Up 7% Completed
Level up: 7% Level up: 7% Level up: 7%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 35 focusmaniaczx3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (14)
just curious about 2 things. first im curious about any updates and second im curious as to why you are using an xcal at all? i thought the predator worked quite well with the SVT and was the preferred unit? i mean dont get me wrong im not trying to make a stink im just simply curious. does the xcal do something different than the predator or is the predator not available anymore? ive just never been in the market for a tuning device for my SVT since it is bone stock and most likely will stay that way.
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1turbofocus
I love this big little city HOOTERS !
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 09-19-2012, 12:04 PM   #5
ViperThreat
Moderator OF DOOM

Points 7,515, Level 57
Level Up 83% Completed
Forum Activity 13%
Update: sorry its late, alot has been going on lately.

I used an xcal because that is what Tom sold me. Im not an expert in the field, so i took what I was told should do the job.

Anyhow, SCT finally got ahold of a PCM and sent it to me. Thus far the new PCM has worked, and though it hasn't been 100%, the X3 has been working about 70% of the time, which i guess is to be expected with the SVT PCM.

SCT did resolve the issue, and for that I am grateful, but I will say that the level of communication on the support end was very disappointing. 3-4 hour hold times, emails not replied too for days, etc. As a support rep myself, when I have an open or pending issue, I never let that issue go for more than 48 hours without contacting the client with some sort of update, even if its as silly as "sorry for the wait, we are still working on it".

Any contact or answers felt like they had to be forced out of SCT, and the simple fact that my car had been disabled for upwards of 2 months due to SCT's failure is enough for me to say that the whole experience was less than pleasant.

So for a review, I can honestly say that given the choice, I will not buy SCT again. I dont dislike SCT, but In the case of such a vital part of my car, I need support that is both proactive and communicative.

-Regular Car Reviews
Old 09-23-2012, 12:49 PM   #6
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 14,475, Level 78
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
i cant believe tom didnt suggest a predator. im almost certain that those work better with the SVT. and then after that i cannot believe that SCT took so long.
Quote:
Every time you drink a beer somewhere an ugly woman becomes beautiful, so get to it!
Old 09-24-2012, 08:08 PM   #7
1turbofocus
FF Affiliate

Fan#: 1123
What I Drive: 2000 ZX3 / 2002 SVT Turbocharged

Points 50,537, Level 100
Points: 50,537, Level: 100 Points: 50,537, Level: 100 Points: 50,537, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 26%
Activity: 26% Activity: 26% Activity: 26%
FF Reputation: 154 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member 1turbofocus Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (28)
Diablosport dropped the Predator 2 years ago, Also the Predator will not datalog the knock sensor , that leaves SCT as the only option

Tom
Focus-Power: Your #1 Source for Ford Focus Speed, Tuning & Performance!

Customer Support
AIM: hpdyno
Email: hpdyno@aol.com
Phone: 704-249-3745
Site: focus-power.com

Elder 1turbofocus
Old 09-25-2012, 05:02 PM   #8
focusmaniaczx3
I need BOOOOST!!!!!!

Points 14,475, Level 78
Level Up 7% Completed
Forum Activity 3%
really? well that explains a bit.
Quote:

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.