2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Red Light of Death (Battery Light) - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 08-28-2012, 01:43 AM   #1
Max2003
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 103147
What I Drive: 2003 Ford Focus zx5

FF Reputation: 1 Max2003 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2003 Ford Focus ZX5 Red Light of Death (Battery Light)

I have a 2003 Ford Focus ZX5. On the way into work tonight my battery light would come on and then go out. This happened for about 10 miles. When I reached the parking lot all of my electrical "froze-up." Radio was on but was unresponsive to the controls and stopped playing music, all dash gauges went to the off position and I could feel the car about to stall out. Think the alternator went? Vehicle has 73500 miles and I just had the engine mounts and muffler system replaced. Battery is about 6 months old and I have read the forums and will check the connections.
Any help would be appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-28-2012, 04:34 AM   #2
MEJY1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101883
What I Drive: 2006 Burgandy ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 MEJY1988 Good Standing Member
Max2003, fully charge your battery and check the voltage. It should read between 12 to 13 volts. Crank car and check voltage at battery again, should read 13.5 to 14 volts. If low alternator going or bad cables. Also double check the cables that plug into the alternator, a lot of people have been having problems with them.

Good Luck.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:45 AM   #3
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
also start car and disconnect battery,
this will test if the alternator not only makes voltage but enough amperage to keep motor running..
Old 08-28-2012, 10:53 AM   #4
MEJY1988
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101883
What I Drive: 2006 Burgandy ZX5

FF Reputation: 3 MEJY1988 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS View Post
this will test if the alternator not only makes voltage but enough amperage to keep motor running..
IIRC, you are not suppose to do this any more. It can cause a lot of problems, including blowing the ECU, as the battery acts as a shunt to keep spikes down. If I am mistaken please let me know, but this is what I have been told and have read in the past.
Old 08-28-2012, 10:57 AM   #5
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
PSA: its ok at idle, Do not rev motor or do it for more then 20 seconds.. its just to test amperage. never drive your car this way.

lol

I have done it dozens of times... never have issues and did it with bad and good alternators
Old 08-28-2012, 01:35 PM   #6
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
Quote:
Originally Posted by VEGAS View Post
ummmm please dont do this, it will/might damaged everything else

http://www.troubleshooters.com/dont_...ct_battery.htm
Old 08-28-2012, 01:37 PM   #7
FLYLOW
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 34077
What I Drive: Gen Coupe Rspec

FF Reputation: 4 FLYLOW Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
to the OP i just went through all this yest, right after replaceing my atl, havent had time to attack the problem yet but will do tom. it could be many things including = alt wires, plugs or in your case a bad alt or bat if you havent replaced those yet
Old 10-10-2012, 09:16 AM   #8
Mikerson
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104697
What I Drive: 20003 Pitch Black ZX5

FF Reputation: 1 Mikerson Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLYLOW View Post
to the OP i just went through all this yest, right after replaceing my atl, havent had time to attack the problem yet but will do tom. it could be many things including = alt wires, plugs or in your case a bad alt or bat if you havent replaced those yet
Did you ever solve this problem? I am having similar issues, but I just replaced my alternator. The Alternator plug looks good though. I know the PO replaced the PCM once.

Bookmarks & Social Networks