2014 Focus complete engine fail at 1200 miles - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-18-2013, 02:38 PM   #1
Flite
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 119934
What I Drive: 2014 Focus SE HB

FF Reputation: 1 Flite Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2014 Focus complete engine fail at 1200 miles

This may be a new one as the more I read the more it seems like "complete transmission fail" would be more expected...

{Skip the following paragraph if you want to get straight to the problems}
Let me start by saying that I really like this little car. We bought it just a couple weeks ago as car #5. We bought this primarily as a kick around vehicle that is practical and economical and to keep miles off our other vehicles. For that, I really like the car and I've got to give a little tip of the hat to our dealership; Cavalier Ford Greenbriar in Chesapeake Virginia and our salesman Danny McDermot in particlar who I've bought two cars from now and is the reason I went shopping for another Ford.

Last Saturday my wife and I were driving up to Va (from NC) to have dinner with some friends. About 30 miles into the drive I thought I noticed a very slight hesitation when accelerating gently at highway speeds. I chalked this up to me being over analytical about new cars and carried on. I also took note that this tank of gas was around 32mpg, compared to around 40 for the first two. Granted, this is with me very nearly "hypermiling" the car. A little further into the drive I heard a faint knocking sound when coasting down the back side of a bridge. My wife rolled her eyes, said she couldn't hear anything. Within a couple miles she could hear it. It was only under deceleration. A slight touch of the gas would quiet it completely. A couple more miles and it did it almost constantly. The car now check engine light. I pulled off the highway and when coming to a stop it got louder and louder. I pulled into a gas station and called the dealership asking directly for my salesman (who's job was technically done at this point). We happened to be about 10 miles from the dealership at this point and he asked us to try and make it there. I made the trip, very slowly, the sound getting worse and worse the entire way.

{skip this paragraph too if you don't care about kudos}
When we got to the dealership, Danny met us outside and took me through the dropbox process. He then explained that the dealerships service and rental car division was closed and handed me the keys to a brand new 2013 loaded Fusion for the weekend. This was well beyond what I would expect of a Ford dealer.

Anyway, I explained that it sounded like rod knock/spun bearing and wrote as much on the service ticket. I also noted that the transmission indicate "L" instead of "S" earlier in the day. Not sure what that was about.
Fast forward to Tuesday and we get a phone call from the dealership explaining that the car has a problem with the #2 cylinder and that they were waiting to hear from Ford corporate on what course of action to take. The next day we found out... Remove and replace powerplant was the direction from Ford.

So our brand new, 2 week old, 2014 Focus with 1200 miles is getting an entirely new engine. I'm probably less concerned than a lot of people would be, but I'd be lying if I said this didn't raise a good bit of concern. I've been really impressed with Ford over the last few years but this is a little off-putting. I very nearly bought a new Mazda 3 instead of this but between my support of Ford's actions over the last few years and the Mazda 3 being a first run model year, I chose the Focus. I REALLY hope this car doesn't turn out to be a struggle.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-18-2013, 02:57 PM   #2
madaB
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 118060
What I Drive: '13 Titanium H/B

Points 385, Level 7
Points: 385, Level: 7 Points: 385, Level: 7 Points: 385, Level: 7
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 madaB Good Standing Member
Sounds like top notch service from your dealer. Having a great service department makes a world of difference (some aren't so lucky). I fried my PCM with 900km (~550 miles) so I know that having something major go wrong early is unnerving (not nearly as bad as a total engine replacement). Good luck with you car!
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #3
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,901, Level 66
Points: 9,901, Level: 66 Points: 9,901, Level: 66 Points: 9,901, Level: 66
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Does your car not have select shift? That would explain the low gear range rather than select shift ( L vs. S) on the shifter. Low cannot be used like select shift as they are programmed differently.

Wondering if your attempt to hypermile damaged the engine by locking the transmission in low gears and revving up the engine.

Only the sport package or 201a package get the manual shifting mode or select shift with the dct.

Not blaming you at all for your concerns, but if you saw an L instead of S then unless the gearbox acted up then you didn't have the manual shift mode, just the hill descent control as the only rocker switch on the shifter to lock the car out of 6 the gear.

L tries to hold the lowest gear possible, and this would cause increased fuel consumption.
Old 10-18-2013, 03:49 PM   #4
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44296
What I Drive: 2012 POS!! Loaded SEL HB Ford Fucus

FF Reputation: 1 aptech77 Good Standing Member
Everything on the '14 Mazda3 powertrain/drivetrain, is the same as it was since '12. The only difference more or less, is a body style change fyi.
Old 10-18-2013, 04:57 PM   #5
Deftmetal

Fan#: 105884
What I Drive: 2014 Mazda 3

Points 6,005, Level 50
Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50 Points: 6,005, Level: 50
Level Up 28% Completed
Level up: 28% Level up: 28% Level up: 28%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 9 Deftmetal Good Standing Member
My first engine cracked a piston. The second engine burns to much oil.

Hopefully the dealer continues to treat you right.
Rally Revolution #14
Josh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dyn085 View Post
Don't hate on an amputee chick that's still playing with lego's.
Old 10-18-2013, 05:11 PM   #6
Flite
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
Does your car not have select shift? That would explain the low gear range rather than select shift ( L vs. S) on the shifter. Low cannot be used like select shift as they are programmed differently.

Wondering if your attempt to hypermile damaged the engine by locking the transmission in low gears and revving up the engine.

Only the sport package or 201a package get the manual shifting mode or select shift with the dct.

Not blaming you at all for your concerns, but if you saw an L instead of S then unless the gearbox acted up then you didn't have the manual shift mode, just the hill descent control as the only rocker switch on the shifter to lock the car out of 6 the gear.

L tries to hold the lowest gear possible, and this would cause increased fuel consumption.
I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about here. Hypermiling is the exact opposite of locking it in a low gear revving up the engine.
When i say I was hypermiling, all I mean is that I was driving right about at the speed limit and accelerating slowly. Forcing the car to stay in a low gear and revving to the moon would have the exact opposite effect of what the normal definition of "hypermiling" is.

All I'm saying is the the dash indicator showed "PRNDL" instead of the "PRNDS" that it's supposed to. I was driving in regular "D" mode, just found it odd that the dash displayed the base model "L" option instead of the "S" that it normally does. The next time the key was cycled, it went back to showing "S".
Old 10-18-2013, 05:25 PM   #7
Flite
Focus Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by aptech77 View Post
Everything on the '14 Mazda3 powertrain/drivetrain, is the same as it was since '12. The only difference more or less, is a body style change fyi.
Uhm... The 2.0l is carried over from the previous model year. It's the base engine in the new 2014. The entire rest of the car is new though, and the 2.5l motor offered as an option is a new engine that just happens to share it's displacement with the old motor.

It's far from a "body style change". It's near as makes no difference an entirely new car.
Old 10-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #8
tru88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 114979
What I Drive: Public tramsportation

Points 236, Level 4
Points: 236, Level: 4 Points: 236, Level: 4 Points: 236, Level: 4
Level Up 72% Completed
Level up: 72% Level up: 72% Level up: 72%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 tru88 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post

Only the sport package or 201a package get the manual shifting mode or select shift with
I believe all the 14 SE's have the select shift mode now. When I was at the dealer looking, the basic SE had it
Old 10-18-2013, 07:11 PM   #9
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,901, Level 66
Points: 9,901, Level: 66 Points: 9,901, Level: 66 Points: 9,901, Level: 66
Level Up 63% Completed
Level up: 63% Level up: 63% Level up: 63%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tru88 View Post
I believe all the 14 SE's have the select shift mode now. When I was at the dealer looking, the basic SE had it
Afaik no, it wasn't in the order guide for the 2013 or 2014 models, so unless something changed before production it should not have changed from 2013 with the exception of adding the sport model back from 2012.

Quote:
6-speed PowerShift Automatic with SelectShift™ Manual Control (included in the SE Appearance package and std. Titanium)
I.e. that spec sheet indicates that it's not standard on the base SE.

http://www.ford.com/cars/focus/specifications/view-all/

Furthermore looking at some 2014 SE models Select shift is not standard on the base 200A, so you may have seen the SE sport package instead (same size 16" wheels, but four wheel disk brakes, a rear spoiler and fog lamps).

http://fordlabels.webview.biz/webvie...DP3F24EL117003

Looking at this 2014 SE for example which was built 7/29/13 it does not have select shift

http://billbrownford.net/Detroit/For...-Car/21466723/

Same with this car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flite View Post
I'm not 100% sure what you're talking about here. Hypermiling is the exact opposite of locking it in a low gear revving up the engine.
When i say I was hypermiling, all I mean is that I was driving right about at the speed limit and accelerating slowly. Forcing the car to stay in a low gear and revving to the moon would have the exact opposite effect of what the normal definition of "hypermiling" is.

All I'm saying is the the dash indicator showed "PRNDL" instead of the "PRNDS" that it's supposed to. I was driving in regular "D" mode, just found it odd that the dash displayed the base model "L" option instead of the "S" that it normally does. The next time the key was cycled, it went back to showing "S".
Given you had mentioned L mode vs S mode I had interpreted that as you were driving in L, but if it was in D then that just seems like a weird glitch.

It was a possibility that they had nothing to do with the other issue.

Sorry, carry on.

The theory was that if you were using select shift to lock the car into 6th to hyper mile but the car had freaked out and thought it was in L it would have been running in low gear despite the hypermiling efforts.
Old 10-18-2013, 09:22 PM   #10
aptech77
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 44296
What I Drive: 2012 POS!! Loaded SEL HB Ford Fucus

FF Reputation: 1 aptech77 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flite View Post
Uhm... The 2.0l is carried over from the previous model year. It's the base engine in the new 2014. The entire rest of the car is new though, and the 2.5l motor offered as an option is a new engine that just happens to share it's displacement with the old motor.

It's far from a "body style change". It's near as makes no difference an entirely new car.
Well, according to local Mazda dealer the 2.0L engine and Skyactive transmission hasn't changed since '12. The only major changes have been cosmetic. To each their own.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.