02 manuel trans problems - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-07-2012, 02:02 PM   #1
lightbulb186
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 39139
What I Drive: 2002 liquid gray zx3

FF Reputation: 1 lightbulb186 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
02 manuel trans problems

Hello, I have a 2002 zx3 Ford Focus with a manual transmission that has been giving problems for months.

After a clutch replacement, when I would shift, sometimes the stick would pop right out of gear and go back to neutral. Fast forward a few months and now when I shift, nothing.

I've pulled the trans, and everything appears to be okay inside of it (I'm no certified mechanic, so I say "appears" with a grain of salt). I'm thinking of replacing the slave cylinder and see if that does anything. also was wondering if I should replace the cables going from the shifter to the trans. oIf so, where would I get them?? Any more Ideas on things I should check? or replace lol

Thanks to all advice!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-07-2012, 02:08 PM   #2
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
It sounds like you have a problem with the shift tower. Move the parts that shift the gears by hand, and see if you can feel anything other than the exterior stops.

If not you will want to remove it to look at it. You'll probably have to replace the pin that ties the shift mechanism to the shaft. I thought I had a pic of it, but I guess I don't.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.
Old 10-07-2012, 02:14 PM   #3
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Your biggest problem is going to be making sure that you have the shift tower in the exact same position as it was in when you removed it. Hopefully yours is like mine, and you were in N when it went out on you. Whatever you do, before you start touching things, take several pictures of the shift tower as soon as it's removed. Then play with it, and you'll figure out how it works, and what to fix. I put a 6mm allen head bolt with a nylon locknut to replace the pin on mine. I'd find the strongest grade bolt you can find.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks