Im stumped...... maybe you guys can help - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 03-22-2013, 10:54 PM   #1
Covmister
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 89659
What I Drive: 2001 white zx3

FF Reputation: 3 Covmister Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Im stumped...... maybe you guys can help

ok so about 2 months ago i replaced my mtx75 because of the dreaded 3rd gear synchro failure, while i had the tranny out i did the clutch and pressure plate along with the flywheel bolts. i also did the axle seals, axles, and rear main seal. about two weeks ago i noticed a horrendous oil leak..... got the car on the lift and replaced the well over due windage tray gasket...and resealed the oil pan. i also took a look at the rear main seal and housing area to see if the leak was there....didn't appear to be... so while i was under there i did the lower control arms and wheel bearings as well with tie rod ends....the front end is nearly brand new now....lol. well the next day i look under there and what do i find....the oil leak is still very much there..... looked like the oil seperator was leaking being that it was oily and rotted.... replaced with cfm pcv delete..... cleaned up with brake clean and took a 50 mile drive..... guess what...the oil leak is still prevalent from where the trans and engine meet im thinking that it may just be the rear main. its not a horrible leak anymore but it drips i would say a good 5 to 10 drips when parked...leaks a nice 1 inch by 1 inch spot....now i really dont want to rip the trans back out of the car to be honest so my question is being that the oil isnt pouring out of the car and the oil level is still full even after driving a whole week before replacing the pcv with the delete...is the leak as bad as my over protective madly in love with my focus mind makes me believe???? literally the oil level has not dropped enough for my eyes to register...... what do you guys think? maybe some 5w30 is in order? its coming from the weep hole for sure...atleast im pretty sure... i cant see any other leaks going on and its deffinatly motor oil.....i was told maybe the pressure sensore but thats on the completely opposite site of the engine

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 03-23-2013, 06:45 AM   #2
Mike_Mac
Focus Addict

Fan#: 61110
What I Drive: 04 Red/Black ZX5, 00 infared ZTS

FF Reputation: 12 Mike_Mac Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (7)
check your valve cover gasket, other then that about the only other seal is the rear main.
Old 03-23-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
VillageT
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97061
What I Drive: 2005 Silver ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 VillageT Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
If you are seeing that much oil externally and the level doesn't change that much it probably is VC leak that runs down around the trans when you stop.
Old 03-24-2013, 02:19 PM   #4
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 60 sailor Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
5-10 drips isn't going to show on the dipstick, it's amazing what a LARGE spot a tiny amount of oil can leave....

Main seal replacement is notorious for issues, that's why it's seldom recommended to be done unless it's leaking already.

Since you already KNOW how much work replacement involves, you've got good incentive to be SURE that's the issue B4 replacing it again!

In the meantime that size drip will likely only damage your parking spots (grin), so just watch where you park 'till you can do enough investigation to be SURE you need to replace it again.

Luck!

Bookmarks & Social Networks