Need advice on buying used 2012 Focus - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 04:09 PM   #1
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104678
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

Posts: 20
FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Question Need advice on buying used 2012 Focus

Hi all,
I searched forum and goggled but it's really hard to read all pages of big threads about MFT and SYNC and several others regarding DCT so please help me decide and make a correct choice.
I'm looking to buy used 2012 (I know most of issues have been fixed in 2013, but used 2013 are rare and much more expensive yet) Focus with DCT, but I'm not sure of several things. Please advice what are your thoughts and opinions regarding the following issues:

1. When exactly Ford fixed DCT issue - meaning starting from what date (month) of production should I look for a used Focus and how to check that date (VIN or else)? Are all cars affected and how to check it during test drive?

2. I would prefer Titanium, due to its intelligent access without a key, 17'' tires, rear view camera with rear/front park control, optional Navigation and winter package, BUT what about MFT - can it at least work with no issues with rear view camera and navigation or these have problems too, since they are used via MFT?

3. What about SYNC - it has problems too? All I need is BT phone to be able to call and answer handsfree and play some songs via USB.

4. Will Ford continue to support/update MFT and SYNC untill most of bugs are fixed or we are already left alone?

P.S. I'm looking for a sedan (white, silver or grey) preferably Titanium, but can settle for SEL, SE or even S if you guys would advice me to do so. In this case I would fit car with aftermarket rear view camera, remote start, intelligent access key e.t.c. but it will be pain in the ars

Thank you.


His Dudiness is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #2
PratoN
Focus Fanatic
 
PratoN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Fan#: 88058
Location: Milwaukee, WI
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Posts: 3,932
Points 2,946, Level 33
Points: 2,946, Level: 33 Points: 2,946, Level: 33 Points: 2,946, Level: 33
Level Up 31% Completed
Level up: 31% Level up: 31% Level up: 31%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
1. I presume somewhere around job 2 of 2012 foci.
2. Few cars have issues with V3.0.2 with Nav and the rear view camera. Current issues are with climate control and audio screens, etc. Personally, I like my phone's Nav better, but the rear view camera is Jawesome.
3. Sync is separate. No issues there.
4. Allegedly.

I'm currently at a weird spot with the ownership of my car and so I chose not to recommend in-favor or opposed to you buying a Focus.
__________________
2012 FF Ti HB Kona Blue, Built 5/24/2011, 401A + Ti Handling Package, Parking Technology Package, Winter Package, Moonroof, and MFT w/NAV at v3.6 102k miles and counting...
PratoN is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 04:31 PM   #3
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Fan#: 91903
Location: Annapolis, MD
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

Posts: 245
FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudiness View Post
Hi all,
I searched forum and goggled but it's really hard to read all pages of big threads about MFT and SYNC and several others regarding DCT so please help me decide and make a correct choice.
I'm looking to buy used 2012 (I know most of issues have been fixed in 2013, but used 2013 are rare and much more expensive yet) Focus with DCT, but I'm not sure of several things. Please advice what are your thoughts and opinions regarding the following issues:

1. When exactly Ford fixed DCT issue - meaning starting from what date (month) of production should I look for a used Focus and how to check that date (VIN or else)? Are all cars affected and how to check it during test drive?

2. I would prefer Titanium, due to its intelligent access without a key, 17'' tires, rear view camera with rear/front park control, optional Navigation and winter package, BUT what about MFT - can it at least work with no issues with rear view camera and navigation or these have problems too, since they are used via MFT?

3. What about SYNC - it has problems too? All I need is BT phone to be able to call and answer handsfree and play some songs via USB.

4. Will Ford continue to support/update MFT and SYNC untill most of bugs are fixed or we are already left alone?

P.S. I'm looking for a sedan (white, silver or grey) preferably Titanium, but can settle for SEL, SE or even S if you guys would advice me to do so. In this case I would fit car with aftermarket rear view camera, remote start, intelligent access key e.t.c. but it will be pain in the ars

Thank you.
If i was buying one right now, I'd skip all the tech goodies and get a stick.

It's a great car, and I'd imagine the later 2012s and 2013s have a lot of the little issues sorted.
gkirk is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:07 PM   #4
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104678
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

Posts: 20
FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Thanks for your quick replies guys!

So basically if I see Flex Fuel sign (on rear door?) and yellow fuel cap - it's safe to assume it's job 2 right? Also, as I understand job 2 production started around mid-April 2012?

Still I'm wondering what's the best way to feel this DCT issue during test drive?

to lifocus - thanks for the advice. I am researching now, but honestly I don't see any alternatives of overall great car with low fuel consumption. I really need good mpg because our other car is 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with average 17mpg! So I don't want anything larger than Ford Focus. I don't want something too small too - like smart or honda fit (though Fit is a great small car). So, I was looking into VW TDI - diesels are great for mpg but they suck in winter - and comfort is very important for me - I can't have a car who can't even get warm in winter if you mostly drive short trips. I also like Ford Focus visually (exterior and interior) compared to more ordinary Chevy Cruse or even new Elantra. Mazda is also out of question for me - since it has too firm ride - that's for enthusiasts, but I like more comfortable ride. So I'm pretty much stuck with Focus - and I'm glad, but MFT issue really prevents me for now from settling on Titanium so far.

to gkirk - I agree manual stick is free from issues but I want DCT. I'm from Russia and almost all cars have manual sticks there. I'm so fed up with working out my left leg and constantly jerking this stick in traffic during my 14 years of driving in Russia, that I'm never ever gonna have manual. However, for those sport enthusiasts who wants that extra work - I can only envy you guys, raised and spoiled with automatics transmissions so much, that manual here (in North America) is considered something sporty and good I can never understand that.
His Dudiness is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #5
craigsfocus
Focus Enthusiast
 
craigsfocus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Fan#: 97985
Location: Fort Eustis, VA
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE

Posts: 450
FF Reputation: 6 craigsfocus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Have you looked into the new 2013 Ford Fusion. You can get a nice one for about the price of a Titanium. Comfortable car without the DCT.
__________________
2012 Ford Focus SE Hatchback Race Red. 203A Spec. Window Tint. K&N Typhoon CAI. FSWerks Race Exhaust. Weathertech Digital Fit Floormats. HIDs with Projectors. Build Date: 2/14/2012

Active Duty US Army. MOS 91E (Machinist). OEF Vet.
craigsfocus is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 05:58 PM   #6
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast
 
Some Guy From NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101517
Location: Brooklyn, NY
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

Posts: 493
FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I am at my wits end with my car. If I can't get it looked at again by a different dealership I am going to look at getting the BBB involved. From there..possibly get it lemon law'd. It does not drive straight and constantly needs to be corrected. This is even AFTER my steering rack was replaced. It seemed like it worked fine immediately after it was replaced...but the more I am driving it, the more it constantly needs adjustment.

do not buy one.
__________________
Mods: Drop in K&N filter, Steeda RSB, MS3 RMM, Remote start, Llumar tint, Ti engine cover, Husky floor mats, OEM splash guards
Some Guy From NY is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 06:19 PM   #7
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104678
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

Posts: 20
FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by craigsfocus View Post
Have you looked into the new 2013 Ford Fusion. You can get a nice one for about the price of a Titanium. Comfortable car without the DCT.
It's a very good car - but too big for me. I don't want anything bigger than Focus or with lower mpg than Focus. (Our other car is 08' Dodge Grand Caravan with 17mpg - no more big cars).
His Dudiness is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 06:22 PM   #8
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104678
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

Posts: 20
FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifocus View Post
Did you test drive the 2012 or 2013 mazda 3 ?
What about the 2013 Hyundai Elantra GT or coupe ?

Edit: You also want a reliable car too!
I agree Mazda 3 is free of DCT issues and is a very nice car especially SKY one with good mpg rating. However, it's too firm or sporty in terms of ride - a little harsh to my back, I love more comfortable ride. Focus is just fine - slightly more and it's too harsh ride already.

I'm gonna also look at Elantra - that one has softer ride and good mpg too. Thanks.
His Dudiness is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 06:25 PM   #9
His Dudiness
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104678
Location: Toronto, Canada, Canada
What I Drive: 2008 Sandstone Dodge Grand Caravan

Posts: 20
FF Reputation: 1 His Dudiness Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Some Guy From NY View Post
I am at my wits end with my car. If I can't get it looked at again by a different dealership I am going to look at getting the BBB involved. From there..possibly get it lemon law'd. It does not drive straight and constantly needs to be corrected. This is even AFTER my steering rack was replaced. It seemed like it worked fine immediately after it was replaced...but the more I am driving it, the more it constantly needs adjustment.

do not buy one.
I feel your pain - I hope it can get resolved. There is something definitely wrong with your car. Is that common issue like MFT and DCT or it's more like rare?
His Dudiness is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-10-2012, 06:30 PM   #10
Some Guy From NY
Focus Enthusiast
 
Some Guy From NY's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Fan#: 101517
Location: Brooklyn, NY
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL sedan DCT

Posts: 493
FF Reputation: 3 Some Guy From NY Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by His Dudiness View Post
I feel your pain - I hope it can get resolved. There is something definitely wrong with your car. Is that common issue like MFT and DCT or it's more like rare?
There is a large thread about the steering rack problem. Many people have experienced it...supposedly it is fixed on vehicles built after december 2011...but there have been a few people who reported the same problem with more recent build dates.

It is so incredibly frustrating not to be able to drive straight and constantly having to correct. I have a feeling I'm in for an uphill battle.

for perspective: the steering racks are on national backorder for 6+ weeks. They had to get my new one from CANADA. and like I said...I think it is still messed up.
__________________
Mods: Drop in K&N filter, Steeda RSB, MS3 RMM, Remote start, Llumar tint, Ti engine cover, Husky floor mats, OEM splash guards
Some Guy From NY is offline  
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.



Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:44 AM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Audi S3, Ford Fusion and Acura TLX. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area. Challenger Hellcat - Charger Hellcat