Sound System Install - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics

Car Audio, SYNC, MyFord Touch & Electronics The Forum for the Ford Focus audiophiles. The place to chat about automobile sound systems, security systems, or show off your I.C.E.!
Sponsored By: GT Sound Control

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 06-05-2011, 05:53 PM   #1
Tony407
Focus Addict

Fan#: 85289
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray Hatch Titanium

FF Reputation: 4 Tony407 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Sound System Install

Well it's begun. So far I've added some JL Audio ZR650-Csi separates in the front doors. It's actually been pretty easy and it seems as if these speakers and crossovers were literally built for this car. I'm not done uploading photos, so there's more to come.

Eventually I'll be doing something different for the sub, and I'll add an amp for the new front speakers as well. Audio control is coming out with a new processor later this month called the LCQ-1 that I think will fit the bill and allow me to integrate nicely after the Sony amp. More on that later this summer as I continue to build the system bit by bit. It won't be anything elaborate. Stealth is one of my main goals...I don't want to advertise.

Any comments or questions are much appreciated!!!

Tony

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-05-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
Tony407
Focus Addict

Here's a couple of pics of the door before and after the mid-woofer install. Notice how the JL crossover fits perfectly into the little cavity on the left side. It was almost too good to be true, but it worked out great.

Even the foam covering over the door had a groove to run the wires from the crossover to the speakers. How can you ask for anything more?

Old 06-05-2011, 06:05 PM   #3
Waffles ZX3 Kona Sport
WAFFLEY!

Fan#: 10426
What I Drive: 2006 Fusion SE Midnight Blue

FF Reputation: 11 Waffles ZX3 Kona Sport Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
Lookin slick. Can't wait to see more!
Old 06-05-2011, 06:09 PM   #4
Tony407
Focus Addict

Here's the Sony mid in the door. I imagine I could've re-used the baffle to install the JL mid, but I chose to use an inexpensive aftermarket one instead. I thought about using MDF but at this point I'm just looking for a quick fix. Down the road I might make a better one.

Here's a mounting ring that fits behind the OEM Sony baffle. I didn't use this because the baffle I chose to use fit right up against the metal door panel nice and flush.

Another shot of the Sony mid. Not a bad looking speaker compared to other OEM ones I've seen.

Here's a couple of pics of the Sony mid vs. the JL. Dimensions are fairly close. The JL is a little deeper but there's plenty of room for it in the door. Notice the passive crossovers built into the Sony. I had assumed that since it had these the Sony amp was not using any active crossovers. But it does.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
Tony407
Focus Addict

Here's a couple of shots of the Sony tweeter.

Old 06-05-2011, 06:17 PM   #6
Tony407
Focus Addict

Here's the Sony tweeter mounted in the pod.

Again, I was surprised how well the JL tweeter fit in the pod. In a world where everything is usually really complicated when I install a system, it's nice to find something easy from time to time!!

Old 06-05-2011, 06:30 PM   #7
Tony407
Focus Addict

That's all the pics I have for now. I'll have more later.

For those of you who want to just slap some speakers in the doors and use the Sony amp to power them you're in luck. The Sony speakers are 4 ohm. I have to admit I didn't hear much of a difference between the OEM speakers and the JL Audios. My theory is that the Sony system has a lot of active crossovers and equalization so it's not letting the JLs show their full potential. So I'm not sure if it's worth just putting new speakers in the doors and not going any further. Hence, I'll be adding my own amp(s) later and bypassing the Sony amp for the front doors and sub but leaving it intact to power the rear doors and center channel.

As far as wiring, I used the JL crossovers in bi-amped mode and ran the OEM tweeter and mid wires to their respective inputs on the crossover and then ran new wiring to the JL mids and tweets. I suppose you could not use the JL crossovers and just use the OEM wiring and hook them directly up to the JLs, but I wasn't sure exactly what active crossover points the Sony amps and passive crossovers on the Sony speakers were using. Since I plan on adding amps later anyway it was just easier to use the JL crossovers now.

Anyway, that's all I've done so far. I'll be on vacation for a few weeks and I hope to pick up where I left off when I get back. Hopefully by then Audio Control will have released the LCQ-1 for sale.

Tony
Old 06-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #8
Stereodude
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85623
What I Drive: 02 Maxima SE

FF Reputation: 2 Stereodude Good Standing Member
How did the system sound stock? I've put an aftermarket system in every car I've driven so far, but the 2012 Focus w/ Sync + Sony premium system looks like it will be very challenging to replace so I'm hoping it's "good enough" should I get a Focus ST, but somehow I suspect it won't be.
Old 06-05-2011, 08:06 PM   #9
Tony407
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stereodude View Post
How did the system sound stock? I've put an aftermarket system in every car I've driven so far, but the 2012 Focus w/ Sync + Sony premium system looks like it will be very challenging to replace so I'm hoping it's "good enough" should I get a Focus ST, but somehow I suspect it won't be.
Asking how the stock system sounds is like asking if the Focus is a "sporty" car. You're likely to get several answers. Obviously I didn't like it or I wouldn't have started replacing things!! LOL

I think integrating into this system won't be too hard when you consider all the Bose systems out there and BMW and a few other manufacturers with fiber optic systems. I'll know soon enough!

Tony
Old 06-05-2011, 09:12 PM   #10
chris84
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86417
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus SEL 303a White Plat

FF Reputation: 1 chris84 Good Standing Member
I'm especially interested in what you do and how it sounds when it comes to the subwoofer. I've got an extra JL Audio amp and sub laying around but I suspect we're going to have the same issues with signal correction. I think the stock system is respectable, just not quite where I'd like it as far as spl. Thanks for the write up, you're the first person I've seen tearing into a 2012 focus so far.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.