2002 SE Wagon - No rear running lights or dash lights - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 12-19-2007, 01:51 PM   #1
felix jones
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 52337
What I Drive: 2002 Grey SE Wagon

FF Reputation: 1 felix jones Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
2002 SE Wagon - No rear running lights or dash lights

Hello all.

Just recently purchased a 2002 Ford Focus SE Wagon, and I'm already having a fairly serious problem with it, which is annoying.

The problem is that I've got no rear running lights and no backlighting on my dashboard. The brake lights work fine, but once I take my foot off the brake pedal, the lights just turn completely off. Headlights, blinkers and reverse lights all work fine. All fuses are good.

I should mention that the dash lights were working when I first got the car, but a few days later they went out. Didn't know the running lights went out as well until someone pulled up next to me to let me know a few nights ago. As far as I can remember, nothing was done to the car that may have caused this problem...all I've really done (until I started trying to figure this out) was fill it with gas and windshield washer fluid.

I've seen a couple other threads about this same problem, but none have had a solution that worked. I've checked and rechecked all my fuses - both on the interior and in the engine compartment - they're all fine. I just pulled out the license plate lights, disconnected them, cleaned the contacts and bulbs and reinserted them, but still no luck. One of the assemblies did seem to have a little dampness in it...I tried the lights with both license plate light assemblies completely disconnected, but obviously no luck.

I know diagnosing over the internet is dicey at best, but any other suggestions I can at least try? Or anyone in the Ann Arbor, MI area that would be willing to help out a little? Can't offer much, but could certainly throw a few bucks your way.

Thanks, all!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 12-19-2007, 02:00 PM   #2
BeeFzX3
Focus Addict

Fan#: 46655
What I Drive: 2013 Focus ST

FF Reputation: 40 BeeFzX3 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (8)
Did you check bulbs in the rear? I'm not sure, but I think there are 2 separate bulbs. 1 for brakes and 1 to be always on.

Also something might be wrong with the switch, since you don't have the lights in the back and in the cabin.
If you will need a switch, I have one without fog option from my 05.
Old 12-19-2007, 02:37 PM   #3
felix jones
Focus Rookie

Had earlier tried checking the bulbs based on how the owner's manual says to do it - removing panels and all kinds of craziness - and just couldn't get to them, so gave up.

Just went back out and had another look, though, and saw that I could just unscrew the taillight assemblies...don't know why I didn't notice that before! Or why the owner's manual doesn't just say that.

Anyway, after much fighting to get the bulb holders out, finally checked all the bulbs. I was just plain missing one of my reverse lights, and one filament on one of the brake lights is burned out. So I'll be stopping at an auto parts store on my way to work.

Seems kinda odd that having one filament go bad would take out the rest of the rear running lights and my dashboard lights, but hopefully that's the case and my problem is solved.

Thanks for the suggestion...feel kinda stupid for not checking that throughly myself, but oh well. :)
Old 12-19-2007, 02:57 PM   #4
foci01
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 41223
What I Drive: 01 Twiligh Blue SE 4DR Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 foci01 Good Standing Member
Chk the wire conduit between the hatch and the body. odds are you have cracked and or borken wires. pretty common in the wagons

SEDAN REVOLUTION#23
Old 12-20-2007, 01:38 AM   #5
felix jones
Focus Rookie

No luck with the bulbs - replaced the missing reverse light and the partially burned out brake light, but I'm still without rear running lights.

The owner of the place I work is a bit of a car nut; tomorrow I'll be taking the Focus over to his place to work on it. His car knowledge runs much more to the mechanical than the electrical, but he's got more tools and more experience working on cars than I do, so hopefully we can get something figured out.

I'll make sure we check the wiring conduit and light switch. I also just got hold of a Ford Service Manual on CD, should be able to put that to good use.

When we get it figured out, I'll be sure to post about what the problem was, for anyone else's future reference.
Old 10-13-2012, 02:18 PM   #6
donnarmstrong
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104495
What I Drive: 2002 Ford Focus SE Wagon silver

FF Reputation: 1 donnarmstrong Good Standing Member
Tail lights and dash problems!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by felix jones View Post
No luck with the bulbs - replaced the missing reverse light and the partially burned out brake light, but I'm still without rear running lights.

The owner of the place I work is a bit of a car nut; tomorrow I'll be taking the Focus over to his place to work on it. His car knowledge runs much more to the mechanical than the electrical, but he's got more tools and more experience working on cars than I do, so hopefully we can get something figured out.

I'll make sure we check the wiring conduit and light switch. I also just got hold of a Ford Service Manual on CD, should be able to put that to good use.

When we get it figured out, I'll be sure to post about what the problem was, for anyone else's future reference.
Please let me know when you figure this out I as well did everything you did and I am at a loss! Email me at donna.armstrong27@yahoo.ca
Thank you It would be very much appreciated!!!
Old 10-13-2012, 02:25 PM   #7
donnarmstrong
Focus Rookie

Hi, I as well am having the same trouble with my 2002 Ford Focus SE Wagon silver as well
I have tried everything you did except take it to a mechanic. when you find out what the problem is, I would very much appreciate it if you could please let me know how to fix this! The days here are getting shorter and don't want to keep riding my breaks when it is dark in the mornings off to work.

Thank you!
Donna Armstrong
Old 10-13-2012, 02:30 PM   #8
donnarmstrong
Focus Rookie

I have done everything you have done except take it to a mechanic! Could you please email me when you find out what the problem is the days here are getting shorter and I don't want to keep riding my breaks to work in the dark. I have the break lights working
as you do but not dash and tail lights!!

Thank you soooo much!!
donna.armstrong27@yahoo.ca

D. Armstrong
Old 10-13-2012, 03:29 PM   #9
grayzx35speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94839
What I Drive: 2006 Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 grayzx35speed Newbie
If the mechanic has a continuity tester check to make sure your bulbs are getting power at all. Its quite possible some wiring got chaffed and thats why your bulbs dont work, and it might be close enoigh to the harness to affect dash lights as well, that zim not 100% sure on.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:34 PM   #10
mikeeshaq
Focus Addict

Fan#: 72526
What I Drive: 2010 Transit Connect

FF Reputation: 15 mikeeshaq Great Standing Member
There are many many threads on here about the wire umbilical for the wagon and hatchback. This umbilical goes to the rear hatch.

Seems to affect earlier cars more rather later ones

The wires inside, crack, open, short or whatever.

The proper fix involves bridging a good wire[s] through the umbilical and using solder and heat shrink tubing to make repairs

Bookmarks & Social Networks