New ST3 Electric steering problems - Page 7 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 05-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #61
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
It sounds like you need new steering gear. I only have a lowly regular Focus, but it had the exact symptoms you describe. At first, the dealer brushed me off (of course), but the steering ultimately got replaced. Now it will actually drive in a straight line.

Though the ST gear is bound to be a different part #, I'm disappointed that you guys are getting the runaround on this. It is a well-known issue in the proletariat Mk3 cars.

I am really interested in moving up to the ST, though I am concerned that issue(s) I had 2 years ago are still occurring in newly produced cars.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 05-28-2013, 12:50 PM   #62
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 115085
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black Focus ST

FF Reputation: 1 8CHMan Good Standing Member
Went to my delivering dealership this morning after calling yesterday to schedule an appointment. I told the service rep yesterday that I would need to take someone on a lengthy drive in order to show them what I was talking about.

Showed up, spoke to the same rep I spoke to on the phone earlier. Described to her the issue, again. Asked about who would be accompanying me on the drive. (BTW I drove an extra 30 minutes on the highway so the car would be warmed up and exhibiting the behaviour before arriving at the dealership).

She gets a mechanic who tells me that he's going to have to be able to see it on the streets near the dealership and that he can't go for a drive. I tell him that I basically drive for a living and have logged over a million miles over the years on various cars so I know what I'm talking about. I even show him the group of parts involved in the repairs and the USDM TSB. He tells me that it doesn't matter what you google on the internet, I can't fix what I can't see. Besides, he says, that is a '12' TSB so it doesn't apply to your car and your car is an ST, so it's COMPLETELY different. And they are talking about US cars on the internet, not CDN cars.... uh, hello... McFly... THEY ARE ALL MADE IN THE SAME PLANT ON THE SAME ASSEMBLY LINE!!!

After I take a few breaths to calm down, he tells me that he will call Ford with my description of what's going on and they will tell him what he can do. I offer to leave him my printouts of the documented USDM TSB and part lists, but he doesn't want or need them. Says that I can leave the car with them and I in turn ask, for what purpose? Unless you take it for a drive on the highway which you wont do, you won't see anything wrong; and if you do decide to follow mine and/or Ford's instructions to fix the car, you'll no doubt have to order the parts which will take at least a few days to get in... So I decide to just drive myself home. It's now been 3 hours and I should hear back by telephone soon based on the timetable he stated.

OK... So he's basically telling me two things with that... A) I'm just imagining things and B) I have no idea what I'm talking about.
Old 05-28-2013, 12:52 PM   #63
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Crystal...

I sent you a PM and I know I am in Canada and you represent Ford USA.

Can you see what you can do to try and contact your Canadian counterpart or a regional rep for the Toronto, ON area who can help me with this? The first visit to the dealer has me worried that I may be getting nowhere.
Old 05-29-2013, 02:28 PM   #64
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Update...

Dropped of the ST this morning since they asked to have a look at part numbers on my car. Called me about an hour ago, I need to have my steering rack replaced... and its leaking too. Shocker! LOL. Parts ordered, will take about two weeks... I'll update once I get a call.
Old 05-29-2013, 04:53 PM   #65
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Good to hear that you're making some progress. Hope you're back on the road soon to enjoy the handling.
Old 06-05-2013, 04:18 PM   #66
phobic99
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104606
What I Drive: (soon) 2013 Oxford White Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 phobic99 Good Standing Member
Thanks for the update 8CHMAN. I'm taking my car in Monday to see if I have similar issues. I specifically told the service rep not to even bother unless someone was willing to make an extended highway trip longer than 30 minutes.

We'll see what happens.
Old 06-08-2013, 01:47 PM   #67
scoobtothenoog
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 114029
What I Drive: 2013 SE

FF Reputation: 1 scoobtothenoog Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Mine has been at the shop for 2 weeks. They replaced and re torqued the bolts that hold the rack, then the steering gear. Now I believe they are replacing the rack itself.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #68
8CHMan
Focus Rookie

Update... Got a call late last week that the parts were in. Dropped off the ST yesterday afternoon so they could have the car all day today without fighting rush hour traffic this morning. Got a call at 8:30... The rack they ordered is damaged and now they are ordering another rack from the US that will hopefully be here Thursday, but more likely Friday. I'll wait and see since the first rack took about a week to arrive...

Just leaving the car there at the dealer, took the RX-8 on the 3,000 km road trip last week and I'll just use that around town this week as well and it kinda looks like I'll be back in the RX-8 next week on my trip to Harrisburg and Allentown. Oh, well... RX-8 has nowhere near the torque of the ST, but it drives straight and is absolutely glued to the road on ramps and twisties. LOL.
Old 06-11-2013, 09:54 AM   #69
ColtB
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 114300
What I Drive: 2013 Oxford White ST3

FF Reputation: 1 ColtB Good Standing Member
I wish I could say I was as lucky as you guys. I'm still getting the runaround from everyone involved and it's really disappointing. The problem for me has actually gotten worse. I'm going to make some phone calls today and see what happens.
Old 06-14-2013, 12:18 PM   #70
phobic99
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104606
What I Drive: (soon) 2013 Oxford White Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 phobic99 Good Standing Member
I dropped my car on the 10th and after explaining that they HAD to do exactly what I told them, they were able to replicate the issue the next day. They called me last night saying that Ford wants them to do more tests but I'd imagine they'll come to a similar conclusion as you guys that have had the steering rack replaced.

I'm guessing it'll be at least another week before I get it back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 8CHMan View Post
Just leaving the car there at the dealer, took the RX-8 on the 3,000 km road trip last week and I'll just use that around town this week as well and it kinda looks like I'll be back in the RX-8 next week on my trip to Harrisburg and Allentown. Oh, well... RX-8 has nowhere near the torque of the ST, but it drives straight and is absolutely glued to the road on ramps and twisties. LOL.
Hey, I'm currently driving a Nissan Versa (free rental) and I'd gladly take an RX-8 over this POS. I shouldn't complain but I just miss my car. :D

Edit: Just got a call from the service department. They will be installing a new steering rack sometime next week.

Last edited by phobic99; 06-14-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Bookmarks & Social Networks