New 2013, should I have gotten a manual? - Page 2 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades

MK3 Interior Mods & Upgrades The place to chat about performance gauges, shifter knobs, custom interior paint, car seats or any interior upgrades for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #11
Red Jay 918
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 79277
What I Drive: 2010 Focus SE

FF Reputation: 7 Red Jay 918 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
i use to want my gpa to trade my coupe back in for an automatic coupe because i couldnt drive it at the time and i sucked at learning. 2 years & some change later & im pretty glad i stuck w/ it. dont see too many manual Focus'. anything with below 200hp NEEDS a manual otherwise its just plain boring. what really surprises me is that Ford offered the 08-12 Escape in a manual. i knew they offered they older Zetec powered models and first gen D20 models but not the 08-12's. most will say that bumper to bumper traffic is a PITA in a manual but i dont find it annoying really. the only thing i find annoying is just being stuck there. it sucks to see manuals being phased out for flappy paddles & +/- shifters & whatnot... but i will say the Ferrari 458 going through the gears in its DCT sounds orgasmic. lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-06-2012, 08:33 PM   #12
GoldenHour
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 103427
What I Drive: 2014 Tuxedo Black ST

FF Reputation: 3 GoldenHour Good Standing Member
i did the manual thing for may years. no way i'd own anything but an automatic now. my focus has plenty of power and is fun to drive.
Old 10-07-2012, 01:31 AM   #13
Norcalrallyx
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 99260
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2

FF Reputation: 1 Norcalrallyx Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2kwik4u View Post
I'm a little the other way.

I have the opinion that anthing under ~200hp should have a manual to keep the "fun to drive" portion of my driving up. I'm doing so much highway commuting with this car, the 6th gear in the Automatic would be saving me some fuel, and I'm not shifting all that much anyway.

When I was delivering Pizza in the Audi (long story on why I was doing that). The automatic trans there SUCKED. Boring as snot in an already boring scenario. I would've really enjoyed a manual there.
LOL! I'm currently delivering pizza in my focus manual! Short story....extra cash on the side. Only adds bout 400 miles/month on the odometer. I love the pull this car has when leaving it in 2nd or 3rd gear past 4000 rpm
Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 PM   #14
VonKaiser
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 26749
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus SE sedan

FF Reputation: 1 VonKaiser Good Standing Member
I've owned plenty of both transmissions. Oddly most of the times I had an auto was during a job's long rush hour commute. Nothing sucks worse than using a manual in traffic for an hour each way. Now, I just want to cruise and relax. I'm getting too old to do all the hooning around. If I had a weekend toy maybe I'd consider a manual again, but I doubt it.

My 2013 SE will be an auto for sure. :)
Old 10-11-2012, 09:30 AM   #15
FocusOnMeNow
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 97757
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Gray SE 5 Speed

FF Reputation: 1 FocusOnMeNow Good Standing Member
My 2012 is a manual. First car I bought that was a five speed. I had an Explorer, but it was way too boring. My friends had stick shifts, and I was envious. My whole family told me I'd regret buying a five speed. I enjoy every moment. When I feel good, I drive the car hard. When I don't, I drive slower. I drive much more defensive, and easier in the Focus than any other car. Traffic driving is simple. Keep distance, clutch out, use brake. I love it. Ever car from here out is a manual tranny.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
Old 10-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #16
REK21
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104472
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey SEL

FF Reputation: 1 REK21 Good Standing Member
I have a DCT in my focus and I like it a lot. I haven't any issues with my trans, as some have had (knock on wood). I do like to be able to click through the gears on the highway to pass quickly or drop it into 6th just to cruise, or leave it in auto for driving around town. The DCT for me was a great choice.

When I get out of school, and get a real job(lol), I plan to take a look at a new mustang. That will most certainly have a real shifter to row through.

Old 10-14-2012, 08:09 PM   #17
F35-JSF
Focus Addict

Fan#: 102775
What I Drive: 12' Tuxedo Black SE, 08' ZZR-600

FF Reputation: 2 F35-JSF Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by FocusOnMeNow View Post
My 2012 is a manual. First car I bought that was a five speed. I had an Explorer, but it was way too boring. My friends had stick shifts, and I was envious. My whole family told me I'd regret buying a five speed. I enjoy every moment. When I feel good, I drive the car hard. When I don't, I drive slower. I drive much more defensive, and easier in the Focus than any other car. Traffic driving is simple. Keep distance, clutch out, use brake. I love it. Ever car from here out is a manual tranny.

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Xparent Blue FF Mobile
My feelings exactly. I bought two automatic cars, a 3-gen firebird and trans am and I would have bought them manual if I could have found one too my liking. Shame manuals are becoming a rarity in so many models.
:lol:Modding is whatever you define it as. Some people wanna boost, some people need 10 TVs, and some of these homos feel compelled to LED their cars front to back.
Old 10-14-2012, 10:38 PM   #18
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

FF Reputation: 21 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew'sFoci View Post
I love my car, Its gray with the black package and with the 2013 it comes with a very nice spoiler. I wanted a Manual but after concidering the driving I do, it was not practical. now people come up to me saying how nice the car is and if its a manual. Should i have gotten the manual, to you guys, does that change your take on a car once you find out its an automatic or is that just High school kids?
Car technically is a manual, its just a computer controlled automated manual with a pair of clutch disks instead of a torque converter. Since it shifts automatically its considered an auto transmission, but mechanically it shares almost nothing in common with a regular automatic transmission that uses planetary gear sets and lots of hydraulic fluid to control the components behind an inefficient torque converter (when the torque converter's lock up clutch is disengaged the torque converter saps up a lot of power to run itself and pump fluid to the transmission).

If there was a six speed manual available with similar gearing to the DCT I might have considered it, but there wasn't and the 5 speed as nice as it may be and was when I test drove one was down a gear and was also geared shorter for more acceleration and less fuel economy when driven in the same manner. Can you coast with the engine off easier in a manual, or play more hyper-miling tricks, sure, but so what?

I try not to do it all of the time, but its an amazing experience to wind the car out to red line where it is making maximum power and to execute or witness the execution of a perfect no lift shift with no appreciable drop off in power as the next gear is already pre-selected. Or even in manual mode locked in 6th if you ask for a large burst of power the car responds perfectly by dropping into 3rd or 4th and taking off as requested. Sure I could move the stick around to where I wanted it 100% of the time, and I did this for 3 years, but idk, I happen to like the technology, and mine seems to work just fine, maybe its all in the way it learned how to work? I don't really know why some people have issues while others do not, at least beyond the evidence of bad seals and materials changes to the earlier clutches.
Old 10-15-2012, 07:27 AM   #19
frinesi2
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95914
What I Drive: 2012 Tuxedo Black SE Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 frinesi2 Good Standing Member
The only reason to buy a car with an automatic is if you suffer some physical ailment that prevents reasonable use of all four limbs or if you lack sufficient coordination to use all four limbs and are incapable of learning.

Or if you prefer automatics.
Old 10-16-2012, 11:56 AM   #20
Drew'sFoci
Focus Addict

Fan#: 103950
What I Drive: 2013 Sterling Gray hatch W/Blk pack

FF Reputation: 4 Drew'sFoci Good Standing Member
I fell if this car had "proper" paddle shifters, down being on the left, up on the right, there would be no debate here on the automatic! Of course nothing is better than rowing through gears, but it would be a very close second unlike the ps3 controller thumb toggle!! Although one thing I do love in the selectshift is the fact that if I get sick of shifting it myself I can toss it in to D! The only thing I dont like about the selectshift mode is the sound when your accelerating hard, you don't get that awesome pause inbetween gears like a manual!

Bookmarks & Social Networks