Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 32 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-17-2012, 12:34 PM   #311
MAV204
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104973
What I Drive: 2013, Pearl White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 MAV204 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I just bought my 2013 Focus HB Titanium last week. Have 800 miles on it and was just about to call the dealer about the shuttering problem when leaving a stop....
Thought I would look on here and wow, here it is.
This morning I drove with TC off and that fixed it for me as well.
This is just wrong, Ford need to fix this right away! It does sound like a software fix.

What should we do now? Call our dealers... Call Ford? Take the car back and demand it be fixed or refund my money here?
I like the car, but this is no good for me with out a real fix from ford.....
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-17-2012, 12:52 PM   #312
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAV204 View Post
I just bought my 2013 Focus HB Titanium last week. Have 800 miles on it and was just about to call the dealer about the shuttering problem when leaving a stop....
Thought I would look on here and wow, here it is.
This morning I drove with TC off and that fixed it for me as well.
This is just wrong, Ford need to fix this right away! It does sound like a software fix.

What should we do now? Call our dealers... Call Ford? Take the car back and demand it be fixed or refund my money here?
I like the car, but this is no good for me with out a real fix from ford.....

From what everyone has guessed this is a combination of TC and AcvanceTrac along with the Torque Vectoring System that will lead to shuddering and a major problem is that they can't just release a software update that compromises the functions of any of those things.

What I would like to see? Maybe regulate TVC to only a sport setting or have it user selectable through the menus or something or perhaps retune the TC to prevent the shuddering or even lower its sensitivity so it doesn't just jump on any little amount of slip.

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 10-17-2012, 01:38 PM   #313
next_ceo
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 94599
What I Drive: 2012 Focus SE, 2008 Cadillac CTS

FF Reputation: 1 next_ceo Good Standing Member
From what I have observed, the advancetrac in our cars is a total control freak, with an OCD-like behavior. I wonder what's taking so long to get this issue solved Can't they make it less intrusive / sensitive, it gets excited over nothing.

On a side note, is it possible that one of the modules senses an internal slippage (transmission) and takes it as a loss of traction and wrongfully engages the advancetrac functions? One of our members generated a graph showing how our trannies slip during operation...I wonder if there is a relationship between these two variables. What do you guys think?
Old 10-17-2012, 02:56 PM   #314
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

Points 777, Level 14
Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
Ok I pulled F19 fuse and drove around. It lights up panel with all the warnings but does not look like prevents you from driving. You will roll back on uphill starts.
Feels good to be honest. Upshifts are fine but they were fine before - downshifts w/o any hesitation in traffic I would say that's important. Side effect as well (positive one) my car was ever so slightly 'dancing' @ highway speeds left/right all the time. Dealer told me multiple times it's not steering rack and apparently it definitely not - no more. Car stay planted, steering feels exactly like it should - connected to the chassis. So if you anyone of you guys feel adventurous feel free to try it.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:03 PM   #315
armoore
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 104658
What I Drive: 2012, Red SEL Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 armoore Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotskyb View Post
Ok I pulled F19 fuse and drove around. It lights up panel with all the warnings but does not look like prevents you from driving. You will roll back on uphill starts.
Feels good to be honest. Upshifts are fine but they were fine before - downshifts w/o any hesitation in traffic I would say that's important. Side effect as well (positive one) my car was ever so slightly 'dancing' @ highway speeds left/right all the time. Dealer told me multiple times it's not steering rack and apparently it definitely not - no more. Car stay planted, steering feels exactly like it should - connected to the chassis. So if you anyone of you guys feel adventurous feel free to try it.
Is the F19 fuse for the Advancetrac? Interesting - taking mine in again on Monday. I want to try and have as much info with me as I can.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:05 PM   #316
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotskyb View Post
Awesome! Thanks for trying! I wonder if that also effects the cross-wind/crown electronic-assisted steering thing? (God, what the hell is that called?)
Old 10-17-2012, 03:10 PM   #317
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Awesome! Thanks for trying! I wonder if that also effects the cross-wind/crown electronic-assisted steering thing? (God, what the hell is that called?)
I think it was called something like drift-pull compensation, but I'm not 100% certain on that at this moment.
Old 10-17-2012, 03:11 PM   #318
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
I think it was called something like drift-pull compensation, but I'm not 100% certain on that at this moment.
A sensor/radarless lane departure assist system by the sounds of it?

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 10-17-2012, 03:15 PM   #319
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,948, Level 33
Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33 Points: 2,948, Level: 33
Level Up 32% Completed
Level up: 32% Level up: 32% Level up: 32%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
Essentially, it's really just to help it track straight if there is a steady cross-wind or crown in the road. If the road turns without crown, it's not going to save you.

...not that it matters. I can't get my car to drive a straight line for like 0.2 seconds. *rubs eyeball* Why am I already half way out of my lane?
Old 10-17-2012, 03:16 PM   #320
suss6052
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95752
What I Drive: 2013 Ford Focus ST2 Ingot Silver

Points 9,903, Level 66
Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66 Points: 9,903, Level: 66
Level Up 64% Completed
Level up: 64% Level up: 64% Level up: 64%
Forum Activity 33%
Activity: 33% Activity: 33% Activity: 33%
FF Reputation: 24 suss6052 Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
From a PDF I found online, not sure if the link will work or not, but here's the brief media description of the feature.
Quote:
EPS also features as standard equipment pull-drift compensation, a software-based technology that helps
drivers offset vehicle pulling or drifting that can occur in
steady crosswinds or on uneven roads.
http://www.at.ford.com/news/Publicat...rkAssistLR.pdf

http://www.at.ford.com/news/cn/Artic...eFeatures.aspx

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.