Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 30 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2012, 11:51 AM   #291
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
Did it shudder when it was making this sound? They might take it more seriously if the shuddering was present.

First time it shuddered I was scared that I would stall in the middle of traffic.
Sure did (definitely not every time, though... like a .5-1% kind of thing) - enough that the person behind me had to brake (it was my roommate, lol) and she was like "What the hell was that?" because I was essentially braking without my brake lights on...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 12:42 PM   #292
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
There is no way Ford is unaware of the problems and little chance they are unaware of the fix. The top level managers at Ford probably know no more about cars than the top managers are Starbucks knows about cars so they rely on lower level folks to tell them. But, no mid level manager want's to be the one that tells the big wigs there a problem we need to spend $75M on. It's easier to do nothing and have Ford lose $1B in sales because the issue turned of buyers and turned devoted Ford buyers into people looking elsewhere.

This is what I was saying about bean counter management not actually being bottom line oriented but more like sub-total oriented. They can easily see that shelling out $75M (sub total) to fix the problem will cost them but they can't so easily calculate the cost for not fixing it so they chose to not fix it.

This is the norm and has been for generations, but with social media like this site it's getting harder and harder for companies to hide out in denial.

Ford knows about the problems! Ford knows how to fix it! Ford is stonewalling the fix because mid management wants to stay employed...

Brian
Old 10-12-2012, 02:20 PM   #293
MyThIc3LiTe
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95163
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Titanium Blue Candy

FF Reputation: 4 MyThIc3LiTe Good Standing Member
If this was actually that big of an issue and enough people actually complained and if the NHTSA and internal investigations actually yielded such a result then this car would already be under recall...

http://www.aniteshjaswalphotography.com
If you live in Edmonton, AB I would be more then happy to do a shoot with you!
Old 10-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #294
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
It does seems like FoMoCo management is playing normal P&L game. If potential cost of fixing the problem more then cost of litigation then why bother fixing it?
Old 10-12-2012, 03:06 PM   #295
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
Here is the video of rental going uphill versus my Ti
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M-_nZgOLIus
Old 10-12-2012, 09:52 PM   #296
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
I'll post the vid soon but all this having to disable TC everytime I get in the car has now caused my 4.2" LCD cluster steering wheel controls to act erratic. The vid I'll upload later shows me hitting the UP arrow repeatedly as the system continuously moves down pages instead of up. This is not isolated, any small amount of fidgeting with the menus seems to screw up my controls now.

Ugh.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-12-2012, 11:03 PM   #297
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by MyThIc3LiTe View Post
If this was actually that big of an issue and enough people actually complained and if the NHTSA and internal investigations actually yielded such a result then this car would already be under recall...
You used three "If"s in one sentence. Shame on you.

The problem is that a severe minority of people actually have submitted claims. I haven't yet...and I won't if they fix my car. I highly doubt they will, so in the coming weeks I will submit as many issue reports as I can then trade it in for a WRX.

Oh, and the NHTSA can take 10,000 claims and still deliberate for 10-12 months on what to do. Then they speak to Ford about it and wait for a response. *IF* the response is labeled unsatisfactory, then they pursue action. Point being: It could be anywhere from one to two years before results are seen. Recalls don't work immediately unless they were instigated by the manufacturer of their own volition and, newsflash, that's not going to happen.

I'd suggest anyone that's as unhappy as I am that isn't living paycheck to paycheck just submit issues and complaints to any and every agency on the planet, then trading the piece of crap in for something else. The only thing Ford will understand is public notice. Once the public hears enough about the problems Ford will step up to preserve whatever image is left.
Old 10-13-2012, 08:53 AM   #298
sbceleste
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 85921
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy SE Hatchback

FF Reputation: 1 sbceleste Good Standing Member
Just to chime in - I am late to the party I guess. I noticed the shudder right when I bought the car back in June 2011, but it went away after a little while. OR maybe I just got used to it but it didn't bother me anyway. Then the update was done a few months back and the shudder was back. Not "spilling my coffee" bad, but enough for passengers to ask "what's wrong with your car?" I tried turning off the traction control and the shudder goes away. It is most noticeable when going uphill. My driveway has a slight incline, not "fun when it snows" steep, but enough to make the shudder feel like it may stall going up my driveway. With the TCS off, almost no shudder at all. At least within acceptable levels where my friends won't make fun of my still almost new car. Not sure what this means, and I have not brought the car into the dealer about it yet, but I suppose I should before too much more time elapses. Maybe with the next oil change.
Old 10-13-2012, 12:14 PM   #299
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
Update.

Got my car back from the dealer. They replaced the clutch and seals (lol, not the transmission ... it was done by the transmission guy so I got confused when I was on the phone)

I must say that the car is a different kind of beast. Loving the drive and I haven't heard a low hum or rattle noise when I start from a stop. No more shudder too!

Going to post up a pic later of the service detail that was done on the clutch maybe you guys can find it useful. I also want to compare it to the part numbers of the newer 2013 models to see if there are any differences.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Old 10-13-2012, 12:19 PM   #300
6769MOPARS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 86108
What I Drive: PB Focus ST2 and 67 426 Hemi GTX

FF Reputation: 1 6769MOPARS Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
Update.

Got my car back from the dealer. They replaced the clutch and seals (lol, not the transmission ... it was done by the transmission guy so I got confused when I was on the phone)

I must say that the car is a different kind of beast. Loving the drive and I haven't heard a low hum or rattle noise when I start from a stop. No more shudder too!

Going to post up a pic later of the service detail that was done on the clutch maybe you guys can find it useful. I also want to compare it to the part numbers of the newer 2013 models to see if there are any differences.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Great news.

Bookmarks & Social Networks