Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 29 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-12-2012, 09:21 AM   #281
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Is this what your car sounds like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8bTHAzkUU

About 20 secs mark you'll hear it good..

Another

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xtcIWrMe5sg

This is what my car sounded like exactly before the new clutches.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-12-2012, 09:34 AM   #282
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,839, Level 32
Points: 2,839, Level: 32 Points: 2,839, Level: 32 Points: 2,839, Level: 32
Level Up 60% Completed
Level up: 60% Level up: 60% Level up: 60%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dysan911 View Post
Is this what your car sounds like?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KS8bTHAzkUU

About 20 secs mark you'll hear it good..
Yes, but not always so pronounced as in the first video. Here's a video I took a month ago (list at 6 seconds) but it's gotten worse since: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wIbICjK999o

Mine is really bad when driving uphill and I don't think any dealers that aren't near a hill really have a way to test this. But I've had the clutch slip for 5-10 seconds before because the person in front of me slowed down and my car shifted up to 4th and then when I tried to drive up the hill *rattle rattle rattle* but I was still slowing down. Sure, I could have downshifted - but that's not why I bought an automatic. Not that it matters, all down shifting does is reduce the duration of the slippage, it happens on level roads.
Old 10-12-2012, 10:14 AM   #283
tdmer
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 96725
What I Drive: 2012 Focus Sterling Grey SE Sport

Points 31, Level 1
Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1 Points: 31, Level: 1
Level Up 62% Completed
Level up: 62% Level up: 62% Level up: 62%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 tdmer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I didn't have a single issue until after the TSB update that was performed in mid-June of this year. It started almost immediately after that point, got worse over the following 2 weeks or so, and then plateaued at that point and has stayed there ever since. It's almost as if the computer learned incorrectly and then held that programming.
Maybe there was an issue with the way the reflash was done? I didn't see any issue after the tsb update and also run an aftermaket wheel and tire package. There were differences but no shuddering....

Good luck
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Old 10-12-2012, 10:19 AM   #284
ralck
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96372
What I Drive: My sister's car while it is salty

FF Reputation: 1 ralck Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
I really hope the government cracks down on them for this. I hope a full recall is necessary so Ford loses enough money to realize they can't pull this crap again in the future.

Yes, I actually do hope Ford loses money in this. For some companies, that's the only way to force them to change their ways.
I don't understand why Ford wouldn't fix the car in your or PratoN's cases. It sounds to me like you both (and probably several other forum members as well) have worse than "normal" DCT sound/operation/etc. Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to fix these few edge cases rather than risk a major recall and end up spending a lot more? Am I missing something here or are the Ford accountants just thinking "spending 0 dollars now is better than spending 100k now" and not looking far enough ahead to see the cost of a recall?

I really hope you guys get your cars fixed soon. I'm rooting for ya!
Old 10-12-2012, 10:58 AM   #285
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,839, Level 32
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralck View Post
Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to fix these few edge cases rather than risk a major recall and end up spending a lot more? Am I missing something here or are the Ford accountants just thinking "spending 0 dollars now is better than spending 100k now" and not looking far enough ahead to see the cost of a recall?
This.

At my company, we have a fairly liberal warranty. Granted, our products are expensive... in a case like this, we wouldn't have a recall. BUT because the engineering group has a teleconference with (some) repair technicians nationwide once a month, we tell the technicians of upcoming issues and they tell us engineers the issues that they're seeing that we haven't addressed. If a customer sends in an item that seems broken, but doesn't render the product useless, we still replace the faulty component because we know that it is going to fail - especially if the part has been superseded.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:01 AM   #286
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralck View Post
I don't understand why Ford wouldn't fix the car in your or PratoN's cases. It sounds to me like you both (and probably several other forum members as well) have worse than "normal" DCT sound/operation/etc. Wouldn't it be cheaper for them to fix these few edge cases rather than risk a major recall and end up spending a lot more? Am I missing something here or are the Ford accountants just thinking "spending 0 dollars now is better than spending 100k now" and not looking far enough ahead to see the cost of a recall?

I really hope you guys get your cars fixed soon. I'm rooting for ya!
Its probably like the army, by the time the guys at the top hear about it, what was actually a 'guys we are training turn on us and kill a bunch of us' turns into a 'we killed a bunch of insurgents and made a bunch of war widows'.

Which is why having someone from Ford reading these forums is a good first step for Ford.

The project managers working on the focus probably have no idea exactly how widespread or annoyed their fanbase is. And they still have a old-economy mentality of milking us like cattle instead of realizing that the cattle got t-1000 implants and will turn on you like a herd of crazed robot cows.

There is a guy at ford who probably gets to make this decision, but here are his choices:

1. Pony up for an expensive recall/tsb to fix all the outstanding issues (assuming by now they know what these are). The end result of this is a huge outlay of money, some short term bad PR, and this guy having to go to his bosses and explain why the focus made less money than it might have.

2. Keep telling his bosses (who have no idea) that the problem isn't that bad, and that they can handle it piecemeal. This costs him nothing (keeps his job secure as he has made no controversial decision) and is the sort of lamest, lowest common denominator sort of action he can take. It shows a truly weak-willed manager with no imagination or long term foresight. (This is of course, historically EXACTLY what has been wrong with the american car industry.)

So my guess is we'll get #2 until it is really obvious they have to do #1.

In the meantime, they will probably keep doing piecemeal things to try and put out the little fires (like giving people like me an extended warranty).

So I'd recommend finding the thread on the compaints to the government and filling it out. Keep in mind they are interested in safety - so a grinding noise probably doesn't raise a red flag, but 'i hit the gas in traffic and nothing happened' will.

(which reminded me that that happened to me once.)

:\

gk
Old 10-12-2012, 11:07 AM   #287
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Points 2,839, Level 32
Level Up 60% Completed
Forum Activity 10%
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
So my guess is we'll get #2 until it is really obvious they have to do #1.
Right. I found a safety issue with one of my products 2-3 months from launch. I ponied up and told marketing "It's going to be late; deal with it." I could have made a running change, but I didn't want my product to be called "The Widow Maker" or something and then the next generation would need a new name because the current one would be tainted.

Plus, as an engineer. My bad product(s) can cost me my license (which is based both on aptitude and ethics).
Old 10-12-2012, 11:19 AM   #288
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

Points 3,216, Level 35
Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35 Points: 3,216, Level: 35
Level Up 11% Completed
Level up: 11% Level up: 11% Level up: 11%
Forum Activity 3%
Activity: 3% Activity: 3% Activity: 3%
FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Right. I found a safety issue with one of my products 2-3 months from launch. I ponied up and told marketing "It's going to be late; deal with it." I could have made a running change, but I didn't want my product to be called "The Widow Maker" or something and then the next generation would need a new name because the current one would be tainted.

Plus, as an engineer. My bad product(s) can cost me my license (which is based both on aptitude and ethics).
I will say in Ford's defense it's probably a little harder for them to greenlight a complete halt in production on a car, instead they probably opt for running changes (we already know this is true... the amount of options/features that have changed just between the Job 1/2 cars and now between the '12/'13 MY cars is actually astounding to me)

Beyond that though, I'd like option 1 to happen. If Ford even just said "We're aware of the issue and we really are working on it, be patient with us and provide us any feedback you can" I would be happy. But this whole "We're just going to tell you it's working, when clearly it isn't, then beat around the bush time after time" is really getting old.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-12-2012, 11:25 AM   #289
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

Points 777, Level 14
Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
The problem right now is that Ford both created the issue and created guidelines on what constitutes 'normal operational range'. An exact quote from my dealer is this "we can't find anything wrong with your car UNDER FORD GUIDELINES". I am not good with video editing but by God I'll spend time today splicing videos side by side. When I told my Ford CSR this he was ' I don't care it means shit to us - go back to the dealer '.
Old 10-12-2012, 11:26 AM   #290
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
Did it shudder when it was making this sound? They might take it more seriously if the shuddering was present.

First time it shuddered I was scared that I would stall in the middle of traffic. That kind of shuddering i experienced would've made them recall all the Focii. Stalling with an automatic? Wouldn't have thought of that until I experienced it with this car.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.