Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 28 - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Model Specific Discussions > MK3 Focus > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2012, 07:02 PM   #271
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
I might as well post my updates here.

I got a call from the dealer saying that they were able to reproduce the issues of the shuddering and rattling noise I was experiencing on the car. They are now in the process of replacing my transmission and I'll get the car back on Saturday.

I think I told them that the issues start popping up when the clutch heats up. I specifically asked them to drive the car for awhile and then drive the car in situations where I experience the chattering such as parking lots or bumper to bumper traffic. (I don't know if they did this or not though)

I'll report back more when I get my car back.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 07:07 PM   #272
chaimav
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91850
What I Drive: Sterling Gray 2012 SEL Hatch

FF Reputation: 2 chaimav Good Standing Member
Tried the TCS and my tranny did get a bit smoother in stop-and-go traffic.

One side effect I noticed is that the active park assist is doesn't operate if the TCS is off. Not sue if this is by design or a fault in my car.

Overall, the shudder is not enough to cause me to keep the TCS off.
Old 10-11-2012, 08:03 PM   #273
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 9 PratoN Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by primetime View Post
I got a call from the dealer saying that they were able to reproduce the issues of the shuddering and rattling noise I was experiencing on the car. They are now in the process of replacing my transmission and I'll get the car back on Saturday.
Let me know who I have to sleep with to get this done on my car. (Can I even get my car fixed in Canada? lol)
Old 10-11-2012, 08:04 PM   #274
SaToX
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94321
What I Drive: 2012 White Titanium Hatch

FF Reputation: 4 SaToX Good Standing Member
+1 for the traction control being off making the car much smoother. So frustrating, some days the car makes me smile because it shifts smoother and faster than I can. and other days I want to set it on fire, put a brick on the gas pedal and send it right back to where it came from
Old 10-11-2012, 09:26 PM   #275
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Let me know who I have to sleep with to get this done on my car. (Can I even get my car fixed in Canada? lol)
It really depends on your approach I guess. He specifically asked me what the problems were and I just described them as best I could. I also told him that the car works fine when it's cold or just first starting and asked them to run the car for a bit before they do their test run, specifically detailing that it was on low speeds (ie. through a parking lot, traffic, etc)

Are you bringing it in anytime soon? Maybe try a different dealer? I don't know if yours acts up when it's hot.. but I noticed that mine does. (I'm guessing the heat causes expansion and then the fluid leaks causing slippage... but what do I know?) Drive the car a lot before you bring it in for their "test drive" ask them if you can be present when they go for the test drive. If they don't then no big deal. Let them drive it though.

Maybe try to find a day that's not busy? I find that middle of the week might work out. It might be of an inconvenience for you, but if it gets them looking at the transmission go for it.

I guess my approach was not being overly pushy with regards to my concerns. They even said I could pick it up on Friday, but I have some meetings to attend to and I won't be able to pick it up until Saturday. I just told them that I'm in no rush to get it back (even though I would've wanted to pick it up today)

When I pick up the car on Saturday, I'll ask what they found with regards to the old transmission. I have this though floating in my head that it looks mangled based on the shuddering I was experiencing a week ago.

I'm surprised they found something though. The weather here got a little cooler this week and I was not experiencing lots of shuddering (only slight) and I thought that they wouldn't find anything.

@PratON If you want to drive all the way up to Canada just to get it fixed, then go for it :D Here's a google map to the dealership I went to. https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=M...mra=ls&t=m&z=5 34 hours!
Old 10-11-2012, 10:21 PM   #276
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
34 hours!
Sweet Jesus! haha

I think I'm having it looked at again tomorrow? It really depends on when I wake up...
Old 10-11-2012, 10:26 PM   #277
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 8 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
I might as well post my updates here.

I think I told them that the issues start popping up when the clutch heats up. I specifically asked them to drive the car for awhile and then drive the car in situations where I experience the chattering such as parking lots or bumper to bumper traffic. (I don't know if they did this or not though)
It is surprising that they are replacing the transmission when it sounds like you clearly have clutch issues.
Old 10-12-2012, 08:04 AM   #278
pozi240
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94835
What I Drive: 2012 Focus 5 door SEL Kona Blue

FF Reputation: 4 pozi240 Good Standing Member
Yeah, I agree Kabigon, but, having said that, my car goes in next week to have the clutches replaced (again) under TSB 11-12-13 (the first time the clutches were replaced last year for another issue). My dealer seems to be very decent, and they even said that if this doesn't work out, FoMoCo Canada has authorized a full transmission replacement. I guess my dealer has gone "down this road" with several other new Focus owner's all ready. When I mentioned the problem to my service manager (whom I have a good relationship with), she just rolled her eyes and said they are "sick" of having to deal with so many Focus DCT issues, and they are replacing clutches every week on customer cars. They don't even call Ford on it now (for the slipping clutches), since the majority are leaking she said and its turning into a sour point with thier customers. I chuckled but was relieved that I didn't have to "fight" them to get repairs done..... its very frustrating to have to keep bringing the car in, but, it makes it a LOT more palatable when you know your dealer "has your back". That is how you keep customers, and they know that. Ford should be making it easier for thier dealer network to perform warranty work, especially with newer technology like the DCT.. working as "designed" or not, it has proven to be a major dissatisfier to a large portion of "early adopters" of the Focus, and Ford knows it. Check out the part #s of the clutches, and the MCU of a 2013 DCT... they're different from the 2012. Coincidence?
2008 Kawasaki Concours 14 (street)
2008 Kawasaki ZX10R (track only)
Old 10-12-2012, 09:11 AM   #279
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by pozi240 View Post
Coincidence?
Doubt it.

Dropped my car off again this morning. I took it for a little drive before I went to the dealership because it's 32*F out and it took a while to warm it up. I got the service guy in the car and drove it in the parking lot (in sport mode) and got it to make the noise on the first try. Did it again.

He says "Well, I know it's making that noise in sport mode, but what about regular drive?" I said "Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, I have it in sport mode now to force it to make the noise; it's not something I like doing because I can't imagine it's good for the car."

I tried it in drive and it made the same slipping noises.

I mentioned that I knew someone with the same noises and they had a leaking clutch seal, but that I checked and I didn't have an external leak. I left it to him for the day, but I'm afraid they might still come back and say the noises are normal.
Old 10-12-2012, 09:15 AM   #280
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Doubt it.

Dropped my car off again this morning. I took it for a little drive before I went to the dealership because it's 32*F out and it took a while to warm it up. I got the service guy in the car and drove it in the parking lot (in sport mode) and got it to make the noise on the first try. Did it again.

He says "Well, I know it's making that noise in sport mode, but what about regular drive?" I said "Sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't, I have it in sport mode now to force it to make the noise; it's not something I like doing because I can't imagine it's good for the car."

I tried it in drive and it made the same slipping noises.

I mentioned that I knew someone with the same noises and they had a leaking clutch seal, but that I checked and I didn't have an external leak. I left it to him for the day, but I'm afraid they might still come back and say the noises are normal.
I really hope the government cracks down on them for this. I hope a full recall is necessary so Ford loses enough money to realize they can't pull this crap again in the future.

Yes, I actually do hope Ford loses money in this. For some companies, that's the only way to force them to change their ways.

Bookmarks & Social Networks