Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 27 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2012, 03:41 PM   #261
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmobile View Post
Holy Poop Balls! Turned off the TC and WOW! It was like driving a new car. I can't believe the difference. I have a 1/12 build with all the latest updates.
i was alternating this morning at red lights and the car shifts faster/smoother with TC off. No doubt about it. It also doesn't seem to have the hesitation getting into 3rd.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 03:49 PM   #262
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
Spent another 30 mins with local Ford CSR and basically Ford's position is such as if their computerized tests (whichever ones they run I do not know) do no show anything wrong then there is nothing wrong with vehicle. We all just imagining our problems
Old 10-11-2012, 04:01 PM   #263
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotskyb View Post
Spent another 30 mins with local Ford CSR and basically Ford's position is such as if their computerized tests (whichever ones they run I do not know) do no show anything wrong then there is nothing wrong with vehicle. We all just imagining our problems

Which begs the question ... does anyone get an error code when the clutch slips or any other DCT issue?

If not I'd bet Ford has disabled code output to prevent users (that would be us) from having something to force them to work on it. Pretty shitty if true...

Brian
Old 10-11-2012, 05:06 PM   #264
thirdj
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 87909
What I Drive: 2012 Titanium White Hatch

FF Reputation: 1 thirdj Good Standing Member
Another +1 to the TC off helping.

I commute to work through city traffic in a hilly area of Seattle. Most of the time the traffic is pretty heavy stop and go. I really notice the studdering from stop to 1st and from 1st to stop, the other day I swore it was going to stall. Going uphill from a stop in traffic isn't so bad but from time to time I get that surge/jerk then go when applying light pressure to the gas pedal (that's honestly what bothers me most about driving in traffic, is its unpredictability)

that being said turning of TC does help, the surging seems to be better, much smoother while driving in traffic,and the studdering when coming to a stop is gone.

I've had good luck with my dealer applying TSBs to my car without much frustration so I guess its back to the dealer I go.

I am curious about how serious the studdering is for everyone. My car has had it since I bought it over year ago, but I feel that it has always been somewhat noticable. Are you guys getting the same or is it to the point where its a violent shaking when the is stopping and going?

2012 titanium HB, sport suspension package, build date 5/11
Old 10-11-2012, 05:27 PM   #265
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Which begs the question ... does anyone get an error code when the clutch slips or any other DCT issue?

If not I'd bet Ford has disabled code output to prevent users (that would be us) from having something to force them to work on it. Pretty shitty if true...

Brian
Normally, you would only get a MIL and a stored error (DTC) if there was a malfunction with a motor or sensor in the transmission.
Old 10-11-2012, 05:32 PM   #266
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
Most likely there is no sensor that have any way of telling there is a clutch slippage but rather clutch failure. So if their (Ford) diagnostics merely reads errors and then relies on visual inspection of the external oil leakage from transmission... Then Ford designed diagnostic will never be sufficient enough to detect problems with seals. But getting Ford to discuss this or admit it will take a concerned effort of many many people. So start voicing your displeasure in any way you can
Old 10-11-2012, 05:38 PM   #267
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

FF Reputation: 9 Kabigon Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotskyb View Post
Most likely there is no sensor that have any way of telling there is a clutch slippage...
Of course the TCM must know the amount of "clutch slippage" because of the adaptive learning of clutch engagement. There are sensors for each input shaft (after the clutches) and the output shaft.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:16 PM   #268
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
Of course the TCM must know the amount of "clutch slippage" because of the adaptive learning of clutch engagement. There are sensors for each input shaft (after the clutches) and the output shaft.
Exactly, in order for it to control the clutch properly it needs to know the speed (rpm) of the shafts and be able to compare that to wheel/vehicle speed and gear selected. How could it control clutch engagement without knowing something about the slip?

Brian
Old 10-11-2012, 06:37 PM   #269
Bakaboy
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92644
What I Drive: focus 2012

FF Reputation: 1 Bakaboy Good Standing Member
Tried this yesterday and today as well and +1 for the smoother transmission. I haven't really complained because the transmission problems don't bother me as much, but the difference is noticeable. More so for picky drivers like my wife who says it's "ok" now. As for myself I'd say it goes from bearable to almost okay when TC is disabled.
Old 10-11-2012, 06:57 PM   #270
fofo60
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 95976
What I Drive: 2012 Ingot Silver Metallic Hatchbac

FF Reputation: 1 fofo60 Good Standing Member
I turned the traction control off and it did improve the operation of the DCT. I have not really had any problems but this is much better. Congratulations to the op who discovered this. I hope Ford can use this information.

Bookmarks & Social Networks