Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 26 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-11-2012, 09:59 AM   #251
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
My dealer is a monster with several lots in several locations and probably ten or so auto brands. The manager told me explicitly that he would love to open my gearbox up and prove me right, but Ford will not authorize it unless the leakage is visible. He spoke with engineering and they told him only to reprogram the tranny with the newest calibration. They open themselves up to other issues if the repair department just starts taking new cars apart because their customers want them to.

He expressed doubt and frustration to me as well, he knows damn well it's not gonna work either.
I don't understand. Ford won't authorize a few hours of labor to check on an INTERNAL leak unless it's visibly leaking EXTERNALLY. Even though the TSB states explicitly that it's an internal problem?

Wow..
Sonic Crew #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-11-2012, 10:13 AM   #252
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
I don't understand. Ford won't authorize a few hours of labor to check on an INTERNAL leak unless it's visibly leaking EXTERNALLY. Even though the TSB states explicitly that it's an internal problem?

Wow..
Eh, it's not explicitly stated, but should be inferred.

The transmission is filled with fluid, there is a shaft with an internal seal that connects the driving gear(s) to the clutch which resides in the bell housing. There is an outer seal to keep the clutch safe from the elements. The internal seal fails and fluid (apparently it doesn't take much) gets on the clutch plates and (I can only assume) thrown toward the edges of the bell housing. If the external seal is doing its job, nothing is getting out of that housing either. My guess is that if I open that up I'll see fluid come out (I can't guess how much, but any would be bad). Those not having the slipping issues should not see this.

Note: As stated before, the transmission oil is slick. If you have a thick, honey-colored substance on your bell housing, it's probably just corrosion inhibitor.

EDIT: I took a few videos but they're kind of noisy and it's hard to differentiate what's the transmission and what's the camera making its own hissing noises. Shall I post some of them anyway? :-\
Old 10-11-2012, 10:41 AM   #253
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
Did you guys do the 'complaining basics' yet? If not I suggest before taking apart clutch packs by yourself do this:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Doing mine right now
Old 10-11-2012, 10:48 AM   #254
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotskyb View Post
Did you guys do the 'complaining basics' yet? If not I suggest before taking apart clutch packs by yourself do this:
https://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/Vehicl...nt/index.xhtml
Doing mine right now
I was really trying to avoid needing to do this because it probably doesn't look good on Ford's behalf... but neither does what they're doing to us. What do you say? Should I fill it out? It's kind of a safety hazard... but I drive like a grandma and give myself some big ol' driving cushions. But if I drove like some of my cohorts, I'd have rear ended someone or been rear ended by now.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #255
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
I knew about the TSB about the seals. When the service guy told me that there aren't any TSB's that set off alarms in my head, that's the reason why I asked them to check the seals.

He also mentioned that they don't open the transmission, I asked if it's because of the closed transmission. And he basically admitted that that was the cause.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using FF Mobile
Old 10-11-2012, 10:56 AM   #256
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

It is a safety first issue.

Biggest concern here is driving in traffic. I am a very lucky person because I get to work from home but IF I had to drive my car in traffic for the past 10 months I would probably be dead now. So here it is:
Incident Information
Approximate Incident Date:01/12/2012 Vehicle mileage at time of incident:4,500 Vehicle speed at time of incident:70 (mph)Affected Parts:Power TrainFire: NoCrash: NoInjury or Fatality:No
Tell us what happended:
While driving on I-8 toward San Diego I heard a engine revving up then transmission downshift suddenly. Engine lost a considerable amount of power/torque ever since. For example I can not accelerate in 6 gear @ highway speeds. Shift times sometimes are more then 2 sec apart which presents an enormous risk when driving in any traffic. Car has been to Kearny Ford for repairs multiple times since with neither Ford nor dealer providing any fix and telling me that 'it's operating within normal limits'. I am driving a rental Ford Focus with approximately same mileage as my car now and it does not exhibit any of the issues I have. At this point I feel that my own safety and my family safety are being put at risk. I can not safely drive this car on anything but empty or almost empty roads.
Old 10-11-2012, 11:16 AM   #257
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Well spoke with Ford CS - basically conversation went as 'since dealership can not detect the issue based on the conditions/tests we developed there is not issue'. We're imagining these issues apparently.
Old 10-11-2012, 12:04 PM   #258
bassmobile
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95742
What I Drive: 2012 Yellow Blaze Titanium Focus

FF Reputation: 2 bassmobile Good Standing Member
Holy Poop Balls! Turned off the TC and WOW! It was like driving a new car. I can't believe the difference. I have a 1/12 build with all the latest updates.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:08 PM   #259
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Ok so this is what I did today - drove and video taped both rental car and my Ti going under cruise control over the same steep grade uphill and trying to accelerate using cruise control.
Results - rental car accelerated from 70 to 73 mph
My Ti - !slowed down! from 70 to 68 mph

If this is how FORD defines 'normal operating range' then I keep bringing my car back to dealership until lemon law threshold can be reached. I'm not imagining this and I have video proof of it.
Old 10-11-2012, 03:12 PM   #260
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Sorry about cross-posting, but here is a (crappy) video of my car's clutch slipping. I'll try to make another one...

http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/s...3&postcount=17

I'm only throwing it on here because I don't know if the bad seals causing slipping are the same root issue with low-speed shudder or not.

EDIT: Traction control doesn't stop my slipping, but it does seem to reduce start-up shudder and push through the gears a little better.

Bookmarks & Social Networks