Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 24 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-10-2012, 06:05 PM   #231
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
GetRag doesn't make the MTX-75. That was actually created by Ford specifically for the Zetec line of engines (and I think even with their assistance).

Yes, GetRag makes almost exclusively wet dual-clutch systems, but they've made dry varieties in the past for VW, Fiat, and Lotus. Dry clutches in this configuration are really only good under around 250ft/lbs because they can't handle the stresses of more than that.

But, like others have said, the PowerShift transmission was also created by GetRag and it has similar issues. It's not so much GetRag that's to blame here, it's the programming and transmission adjustment from Ford...and possibly the quality of the transmission because of the contract that Ford created with GetRag for the parts. Most likely Ford said "We want to do it cheaper".

The thing is, GetRag has made some of the best dual-clutch systems in existence...the Ferrari 458 Italia used a GetRag transmission, and the current Nissan GT-R uses one. The GT-R is already hailed as having one of the best transmissions of all time. I think we know who is to blame in this.
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-10-2012, 06:08 PM   #232
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Oh, and got my car back today. They still said there's nothing wrong with the transmission but were willing to re-flash the system anyway (but still didn't even look into the hardware). The shudder is still there, but to a greatly reduced degree. At the moment it's worse than when I first bought the car, but about on par with how it performed directly following the update.

This makes me already assume that over the course of the next ~500 miles it will slowly degrade back to where it was before dropping it off (the previous 7 times). If this is true I'm going to go back to the dealership, demand they just reflash the system again (since I already know they won't touch the hardware), and then trading it in for a WRX as soon as I can get one ordered in. I'm done with this company for the rest of my life.

Shame, after purchasing 8 new Ford cars in the past 10 years I'm now swearing off the company for myself, my entire family (who is a *huge* Ford family since my grandfather worked there for 42 years), and anyone I can tell. I'll also make sure to mention the entire story to the local news organizations. Cleveland news organizations love stories like this :)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #233
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,200, Level 41
Points: 4,200, Level: 41 Points: 4,200, Level: 41 Points: 4,200, Level: 41
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
No I don't, but the grinding noise aint happening without grinding going on and the likely items to be grinded are the gears and synchros...

Brian
The description of a sound made by a mechanical device can be highly subjective, no?

Every so often (at low speeds) I hear a sound made by the clutches that I would best describe as "rattling". I can easily imagine someone else calling it "grinding".
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #234
Kabigon
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88299
What I Drive: 2012 sterling gray Titanium

Points 4,200, Level 41
Points: 4,200, Level: 41 Points: 4,200, Level: 41 Points: 4,200, Level: 41
Level Up 25% Completed
Level up: 25% Level up: 25% Level up: 25%
Forum Activity 18%
Activity: 18% Activity: 18% Activity: 18%
FF Reputation: 11 Kabigon Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Getrag in this case would be the last company I would be blaming.
From everything that we have learned, it would seem that the transmission itself is highly reliable with the seals as the only known recurring problem.
Old 10-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #235
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,145, Level 40
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kabigon View Post
The description of a sound made by a mechanical device can be highly subjective, no?

Every so often (at low speeds) I hear a sound made by the clutches that I would best describe as "rattling". I can easily imagine someone else calling it "grinding".

Yes, diagnosing anything based on a customers description of the noise is rife with error potential. However, since I'm not having the problem the description of grinding isn't mine but MANY on this forum. A rattling sound might be gears/synchros but it might also be the clutch pack.

Brian
Old 10-10-2012, 06:27 PM   #236
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

Points 2,928, Level 33
Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33 Points: 2,928, Level: 33
Level Up 19% Completed
Level up: 19% Level up: 19% Level up: 19%
Forum Activity 5%
Activity: 5% Activity: 5% Activity: 5%
FF Reputation: 13 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:

I agree. Not really sure what the differences are between chattering, rattling, slipping, grinding, etc. Lately, I've been calling it "slipping".

Stay tuned for a video upload! (In like... 2-4 hours lol)
Old 10-10-2012, 06:33 PM   #237
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

Points 4,145, Level 40
Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40 Points: 4,145, Level: 40
Level Up 98% Completed
Level up: 98% Level up: 98% Level up: 98%
Forum Activity 2%
Activity: 2% Activity: 2% Activity: 2%
FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
Quote:
From everything that we have learned, it would seem that the transmission itself is highly reliable with the seals as the only known recurring problem.

It may well be that almost all of the issues with the DCT can be traced to bad seals! If the seals are bad and the clutch packs get FUBARED then all manor of problems can happen, including:

1. Shudder

2. Jerkyness

3. Rattling noise from clutches

4. Grinding noise from gears/synchros

If the clutches get hosed the system may adapt by NOT engaging the clutch completely thereby causing the grinding noise due to gear/synchro issues.

It could ALL be a consequence of bad seals. If it is then Ford may wind up paying $1500/car to fix a $10 problem!!!

Brian
Old 10-10-2012, 06:40 PM   #238
narkotskyb
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91412
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Focus Titanium

Points 777, Level 14
Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14 Points: 777, Level: 14
Level Up 77% Completed
Level up: 77% Level up: 77% Level up: 77%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 narkotskyb Good Standing Member
2nd update

Still no work from dealership on my car. But I did a lot more driving in the rental and o boy I'm pissed atm.
Effing rental SEL with 13k+ miles - just like my Ti - does not have any of the torque/shifting/power issues nor does it have any of the steering idiocy (left/right pull & vague center feel) that I was told as well is a normal for Focus. Well... I'm soo glad I got this specific loaner - driving it was an eye opening experience.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 PM   #239
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
It may well be that almost all of the issues with the DCT can be traced to bad seals! If the seals are bad and the clutch packs get FUBARED then all manor of problems can happen, including:

1. Shudder

2. Jerkyness

3. Rattling noise from clutches

4. Grinding noise from gears/synchros

If the clutches get hosed the system may adapt by NOT engaging the clutch completely thereby causing the grinding noise due to gear/synchro issues.

It could ALL be a consequence of bad seals. If it is then Ford may wind up paying $1500/car to fix a $10 problem!!!

Brian
Again...the problem is that most dealerships refuse to even look into it. Replacing the seals may very well help with the way the car operates, but many Ford dealerships are insisting that nothing is wrong with the car and won't even look into it.
Old 10-10-2012, 09:53 PM   #240
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
Dropped off my car today. Mentioned about them checking the seals on the transmission. I got a, "we'll test drive it to replicate your concerns and if we find anything we'll go from there" response.

The guy checked if there were any bulletins in regards to the problems mention with regard to the transmission, but he said there weren't any.

I'm doubtful this will get fixed, but i just can't swallow a financial loss on this car right now by trading it in for a different car.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.