Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 20 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-09-2012, 02:11 PM   #191
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Yes, it would be a fallacy to assume this.

But what I will assume is that this specific dealership is ignoring actual issues. That's what bothers me. I don't care if there are MFT or transmission issues if they are addressed. I care that they're not even acknowledged as an issue.
When i did a drive around with the tech, I pointed out that if a bunch of engineers came up with a transmission that sounds broken, even if it isn't, they'd never get anyone to put it into a car because nobody would want to buy it.

So that leads me to 2 conclusions: 1. It's not the way it was designed. 2. It's not happening to all the cars.

Which is why getting the runabout makes it that much more infuriating. I feel your pain praton. I'm not going to try and get mine fixed again for awhile. Meanwhile, maybe ford can do the calculus and just decide to fix all the complaints.

If they need a test car to find out what is the problem, call up praton and swap a new one for his.

But there are other ways to get this sorted. There are probably a lot of lawyers who would love a class action suit on a car model that has sold as well as the focus.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-09-2012, 02:15 PM   #192
raptor1956
Focus Addict

Fan#: 97725
What I Drive: 2012, Sonic Blue, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 raptor1956 Good Standing Member
An open comment to those having DCT issues...

Although I am not experiencing these problems, yet, I fully believe there are problems and that most of them are with the first batch (6 months) of Mk3 cars. Since it is now apparent the Ford is stonewalling repairs I think we as a group need to do what we need to do. And here's what I recommend:

1. Get an OBDII dongle and record data including speed and rpm

2. Put the car in select shift manual and 3rd gear and set the cruise at about 30mph then drive on flat ground as a baseline before hitting a steep enough hill to increase the load.

3. While doing this use your smartphone to record video of you doing this.

Now, if you see the ratio of rpm/mph change significantly (more than a few percent) you have almost certainly capture data that confirms clutch slippage. Print out the graphs and bring it with you to the dealer and if they still fail to fix it make your next stop a lawyer. Trust me, if you go to a lawyer with data like that THEY will have no problem at all getting the dealer to do what the should have.

I hate to suggest lawyers, but sometimes they force your hand.

Brian
Old 10-09-2012, 02:19 PM   #193
oritpro
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 96148
What I Drive: 2012 Subaru Impreza Sport Limited

FF Reputation: 2 oritpro Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by narkotskyb View Post
Well there is always a way to fight infowars if Ford's 'expected limits' are colliding with normal reality so much. FB group 'I hate Ford Focus' Twitter #buybackDCT let your imagination fly. This is like Apple's 'AntennaGate' - but you can't 'hold' car differently.
You could always write to the editor of a car magazine or two, contact the BBB, write a report on ripoffreport.com, and/or file a class action if there's enough people complaining. That last one would really get Fords attention.

With that said I have to admit, the DCT in my vehicle has been fine since the FW was updated in June but my car appears to be a newer build. What concerns me is Ford failing to acknowledge the problems many are having, the bad service people are getting from their dealers, and the potential expenses involved in repairing the vehicle outside of warranty.

Once the new car euphoria wears off and the ugly problems begin to surface, the reality that the Focus is a complex vehicle with a high potential for catastrophic failure, one begins to question their purchasing decision.

A car is simply a tool to transport people from point A to point B, it shouldn't be their main focus in life nor should it be such a burden.

I am starting to miss my old truck.
Old 10-09-2012, 02:53 PM   #194
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by raptor1956 View Post
Although I am not experiencing these problems, yet, I fully believe there are problems and that most of them are with the first batch (6 months) of Mk3 cars. Since it is now apparent the Ford is stonewalling repairs I think we as a group need to do what we need to do.

I hate to suggest lawyers, but sometimes they force your hand.
I agree, strength in numbers. Lawyers are pretty scummy... but fight fire with fire?

Quote:
Originally Posted by oritpro View Post
...but my car appears to be a newer build. What concerns me is Ford failing to acknowledge the problems many are having, the bad service people are getting from their dealers, and the potential expenses involved in repairing the vehicle outside of warranty.

Once the new car euphoria wears off and the ugly problems begin to surface, the reality that the Focus is a complex vehicle with a high potential for catastrophic failure, one begins to question their purchasing decision.

A car is simply a tool to transport people from point A to point B, it shouldn't be their main focus in life nor should it be such a burden.
Couldn't agree more, guys! My car was a May 2011 build (as you can see in my signature) so I've been plagued with all sorts of issues (headliner stains, rattles, MFT V2.10, etc.) but most of those issues are bearable; I'm not even mad that the touch screen portion of my climate control in my car stopped working... but to expect me to ignore my clutch slipping this badly is absurd.

I'm mostly concerned of what will happen long-term if I ignore this. Can ignoring this ruin my transmission (including synchros, etc.)?
Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #195
Phokus
Shiny Metal Titanium

Fan#: 60433
What I Drive: 2013 Performance Blue Titanium Seda

FF Reputation: 7 Phokus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Mines a late Aug 2012 build and it just started shuddering. I'm at 80 miles. Started at about 60 or so.
Tried traction control off and it still shudders.

I noticed its most noticeable starting out gently, if I goose the gas and keep it pulling or if the RPMs never drop below 1000 from a quick stop it's better or gone.
Old 10-09-2012, 11:59 PM   #196
SA-focus
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 95710
What I Drive: 2012 Red Kandy Focus Sedan

FF Reputation: 1 SA-focus Good Standing Member
been testing it out on my 11/11 build se sedan for the past week or so off and on to see the differences and yes it does help with stuttering when braking and taking off slowly. big improvement. hopefully ford will address this soon. hate going thru the menu each time i start up.
Old 10-10-2012, 01:24 AM   #197
primetime
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100063
What I Drive: 2012 Silver Ford Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 1 primetime Good Standing Member
I tried turning off traction control, the shuddering didn't happen as much but it was still there. I still hate the fact that it makes a rattling sound once in awhile when changing gears. When I have passengers, I turn up the radio a bit to down out the rattling noise, but the shuddering I can't hide that.

It's actually hard defending the shuddering and the rattling when I have passengers. If I didn't want to drive people I would've gotten a motorbike instead.

Bringing my car in today after work. I'm dreading that they'll give me the spiel about the car running within normal limits. If they don't do anything to fix the shuddering I'm worried about the clutch and how much it would cost to replace. Unfortunately, I'm not in a position where I can take a loss and trade it in for a different car. (Wouldn't get that much anyway with the problem the car has right now)

I'm hoping Ford would step up and fix this, but I'm not going to hold my breath based on what I've read here so far.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using FF Mobile
Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 AM   #198
VectorZ
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 100457
What I Drive: 12' Focus Titanium Sport Hatch

FF Reputation: 3 VectorZ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Zero issues with my car, BUT I'm all for any company being held accountable. My last car was an E63 AMG and there were more than a few that had engines that would grenade due to cam chain issues. I was working with a lawyer there named Neil Goro who has handled multiple class action suits against various car manufacturers. Here is the info:

http://www.wigrum.com/attorneys/Neil+A./Goro/
Old 10-10-2012, 06:47 AM   #199
smizak
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 92058
What I Drive: 2012 Black SEL

FF Reputation: 2 smizak Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
Couldn't agree more, guys! My car was a May 2011 build (as you can see in my signature) so I've been plagued with all sorts of issues (headliner stains, rattles, MFT V2.10, etc.) but most of those issues are bearable; I'm not even mad that the touch screen portion of my climate control in my car stopped working... but to expect me to ignore my clutch slipping this badly is absurd.

I'm mostly concerned of what will happen long-term if I ignore this. Can ignoring this ruin my transmission (including synchros, etc.)?
You and I are in the same boat.

My dealership had my car for 6 days, even claimed that the service manager drove it home one night to observe the problem. They claimed they couldn't duplicate the issue. All they would do is re-program the latest transmission software. Then as a slap in the face, handed me a brochure explaining the technology behind the Powershift transmission. I actually took a loud deep breath and turned my back to the service guy when he handed it to me. I think he caught my drift. To their credit, they told me to come back as soon as it starts acting up, but acknowledged that it would understandably be inconvenient. Of course, the clutch started slipping and chattering on the way home after driving for 10 minutes.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. "Crystal" here told me that my regional customer service manager would contact me, that never happened. I didn't want to at first, but if some of you guys are lawyering up, I'm in.
Old 10-10-2012, 07:23 AM   #200
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 93883
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Quote:
Originally Posted by smizak View Post
You and I are in the same boat.

My dealership had my car for 6 days, even claimed that the service manager drove it home one night to observe the problem. They claimed they couldn't duplicate the issue. All they would do is re-program the latest transmission software. Then as a slap in the face, handed me a brochure explaining the technology behind the Powershift transmission. I actually took a loud deep breath and turned my back to the service guy when he handed it to me. I think he caught my drift. To their credit, they told me to come back as soon as it starts acting up, but acknowledged that it would understandably be inconvenient. Of course, the clutch started slipping and chattering on the way home after driving for 10 minutes.

I'm at a loss as to what to do next. "Crystal" here told me that my regional customer service manager would contact me, that never happened. I didn't want to at first, but if some of you guys are lawyering up, I'm in.
My dealer also had my car for 4 days. They asked if the service manager could drive it to and from work to test it. They put 100 miles on it. The result..."could not replicate the problem..They also handed me the piece of paper.
I did get a call from Ford customer service, thanks to Crystal, but the first thing he tells me is he is not an engineer or technician so he really cannot help in that respect...He then tells me to monitor the car and will call me back in a week. What a joke. I have been monitoring my car every day since I bought it. How is that going to help.

The fact is there is a major issue here. This forum is riddled with complaints.
My car, which is a 10/11 build, has had the following issues:

1. headliner glue...still not fixed.
2. MFT--mind of its own.
3. Silver trim on door---replaced but not in line with rest of trim on other panels
4. Strut issue--replaced.
4. Keyless entry--Works when it feels like it.
5. Transmission--slipping into neutral at 40mph. Grinding noise 1-2

As for turning off the TCS, I have been trying this for a few days now, and it does make a difference to the shudder.

I just don't get how nothing is being done about these issues.

Bookmarks & Social Networks