Think I figured out the shuddering when starting from a stop...can't believe it - Page 18 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive

MK3 TSB, Recall & Problems Archive The place to chat about TSB and Known Issues for the 2012 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-08-2012, 11:39 AM   #171
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkirk View Post
I've been trying the traction control on and off for a few days now. I've noticed that the car seems to do better in a corner under acceleration. I still need to test more.

But the throttle seems more responsive without the traction turned on.

Might be wishful thinking tho. :\
I too have noticed both of the above. Where I used to get "dead" spots in acceleration seem much more responsive with TC off.
Sonic Crew #28
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #172
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by PratoN View Post
I realize that you're upset (because I am too) but the 11-12-13 TSB is for bad seals on the transmission that leak onto the clutches. That's what is causing our shuddering and chattering. If you do have the issue (and I'm fairly certain you do), the TSB calls for replacement seals (three, in fact), dual clutch assembly kits, and a few other random nuts, bolts, and snap rings.

Basically, if you had the seal leak, you were getting new clutches anyway. But good luck on getting the TSB done! My appointment with the dealership is at 1pm tomorrow, so I'll need some luck too.
I hope you guys with these issues are fortunate enough to get approved for the repairs regarding the 11-12-13 TSB. My car had that TSB completed a few hundred miles ago and let me tell you what a WORLD of difference it makes!. (Even better with Trac OFF) Yeah there's still the occasion where DCT will have a glitch like in 90 degree right/left turns which I believe is only ever going to be resolved in yet another Flash update. Performance wise my car has never felt as strong as it does now. Prior to the repair my gas mileage was climbing to a little over 31mpg average and then when the transmission started making all that noise and I found evidence of a leak I noticed my gas mileage was dropping. It got down to 28mpg average just prior to their repairing the car. I'm nearing 32mpg now and climbing steadily.

The biggest noticeable difference is on the highway. If I floored it from 70 or above. The car had NO Power whatsoever to barely accelerate and pass anyone. The RPM's would jump up but acceleration was weak at best.

OMG Not anymore!. Certainly not an ST acceleration but pretty damn impressive now.

Anytime I floor it, the car pulls HARD to redline, no more surging. I do try to baby it though because I'm so scared that I'm going to burn up the clutch and be right back to where the issues started but with any luck the TSB repairs are going to prevent any oil getting on my clutches and they'll be more than capable of holding the power every-time all the time.

All this to say that I can NOW finally enjoy the car so much more and for those feeling like these odd quirky embarrassing shifts and sounds are just normal. They are NOT!. Don't give up on pursuing this with your dealer or find one that is willing to hear you out and confirm your clutches aren't compromised in some way. There may not be very much oil on the outside of the casing that you can see but I bet if there's a little leak on the inside that it's sprayed everywhere internally.

Old 10-08-2012, 02:13 PM   #173
PratoN
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88058
What I Drive: 2012 Kona Blue Ti Hatchback, DCT

FF Reputation: 10 PratoN Great Standing Member
It's taking a lot out of me to not curse right now. The dealership kept me waiting in the waiting room for an hour, when he finally came back he said they test drove it (without me, despite my request) and all of their diagnostics came back as normal.

This is my most convenient dealership, but apparently also the most incompetent. I'm sick of having to request time off for this and get absolutely nothing accomplished.

EDIT: I'll be damned if I have to buy a new clutch in 1 year for a car that I don't even have the ABILITY to drop the clutch, chirp gears, burn out, etc.

Last edited by PratoN; 10-08-2012 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Pissed.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:16 PM   #174
Dysan911
Focus Addict

Fan#: 95746
What I Drive: 2012 White, Focus Titanium

FF Reputation: 2 Dysan911 Good Standing Member
Quote:
It's taking a lot out of me to not curse right now. The dealership kept me waiting in the waiting room for an hour, when he finally came back he said they test drove it (without me, despite my request) and all of their diagnostics came back as normal.

This is my most convenient dealership, but apparently also the most incompetent. I'm sick of having to request time off for this and get absolutely nothing accomplished.

Prato,

Check your PM's bro.
Old 10-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #175
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:

EDIT: I'll be damned if I have to buy a new clutch in 1 year for a car that I don't even have the ABILITY to drop the clutch, chirp gears, burn out, etc.

Exactly. I'm dropping mine off tonight to get the TSB completed, but truthfully I'm not sure if they'll even do it. They've refused to even look into it before stating, "It's how Ford says the car should operate". I'm hoping listing the exact TSB # will do the trick.

I'm going to a Subaru dealership today to check out my options.
Old 10-09-2012, 12:39 AM   #176
tigertiger
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85787
What I Drive: 2004 green ranger; 2012 Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 1 tigertiger Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by hotleadsingerguy View Post
Exactly. I'm dropping mine off tonight to get the TSB completed, but truthfully I'm not sure if they'll even do it. They've refused to even look into it before stating, "It's how Ford says the car should operate". I'm hoping listing the exact TSB # will do the trick.

I'm going to a Subaru dealership today to check out my options.
I can't imagine why a dealership would not apply a TSB when a customer states an issue clearly related to the TSB. What do they think they are gaining? What does it cost them?

There are days when I wish I would have bought a Subaru.

Hope all goes well with the repairs to your Focus.
Old 10-09-2012, 07:57 AM   #177
gkirk
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 91903
What I Drive: 2012 C.Red Focus SE Sport Package

FF Reputation: 3 gkirk Good Standing Member
When I brought my car in for the grinding/reflash, they said they charged ford 67 bucks for the work. My guess is that if they're busy, they make less money on warranty work.

:\
Old 10-09-2012, 08:54 AM   #178
FordService
Official Ford Rep

Fan#: 79824
What I Drive: Ford Focus

FF Reputation: 18 FordService Great Standing Member
Good morning everyone!

Just a reminder that I'm here to help. I'm gathering VINs from people who are happy with turning Traction Control off as it relates to their DCT's performance, so if you haven't already, please send me a PM with your VIN and whether or not you've had the 12B37 TSB applied to your vehicle.

If you're experiencing any other issues, I'm happy to jump in and assist with those as well; send me a PM and I'll get to work.

Thanks!
Crystal

p: 800.392.FORD
t: @FordService @FordFocus @Ford
f: facebook.com/FordServiceUS facebook.com/FordFocus

M - F 11 a.m. - 8 p.m. ET | Send a PM? Pls allow 2 business days for reply
Old 10-09-2012, 10:04 AM   #179
feta_mgp
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 88210
What I Drive: 2012 SGM Focus SEL

FF Reputation: 7 feta_mgp Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by tigertiger View Post
I can't imagine why a dealership would not apply a TSB when a customer states an issue clearly related to the TSB. What do they think they are gaining? What does it cost them?

There are days when I wish I would have bought a Subaru.

Hope all goes well with the repairs to your Focus.
Dealerships are actually audited on TSB/Warranty related repair work. If they willy nilly decide to replace a part that's functioning perfectly on a customer's vehicle and then the audit shows that the replaced part actually was in good working order, the dealership foots the bill and doesn't get credit for the work. That's how I've come to understand it.

That said, almost everyone in this thread should have sufficient evidence to argue in their favor to get this TSB applied, afterall, we're all exhibiting similar issues, some worse than others, but similar nonetheless, this is NOT an isolated incident.
Sonic Crew #28
Old 10-09-2012, 12:33 PM   #180
hotleadsingerguy
Focus Addict

Fan#: 86687
What I Drive: 2012 Black Titanium 5-Door

FF Reputation: 5 hotleadsingerguy Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by feta_mgp View Post
Dealerships are actually audited on TSB/Warranty related repair work. If they willy nilly decide to replace a part that's functioning perfectly on a customer's vehicle and then the audit shows that the replaced part actually was in good working order, the dealership foots the bill and doesn't get credit for the work. That's how I've come to understand it.

That said, almost everyone in this thread should have sufficient evidence to argue in their favor to get this TSB applied, afterall, we're all exhibiting similar issues, some worse than others, but similar nonetheless, this is NOT an isolated incident.
^^ This. The dealerships are denying TSB coverage on a lot of it because of the vague terms that Ford uses. "Shudder" could mean anything from a barely-noticeable vibration to a violent shake. Using terms like that without any other descriptive means they're going to be hesitant to replace things on the off-chance that it won't be covered and they'll have to pay for it.

And that's why the dealerships have denied doing work on my car 5+ times.

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->