Tested 2013 ST - Kept my 05 ST - Page 9 - Focus Fanatics
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 07-10-2013, 08:34 PM   #81
vanace
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 350
What I Drive: 2005 ST

FF Reputation: 1 vanace Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fociphaeton View Post
Originally I stated my opinion about the new 13 Focus ST. Heavier, pricier, required 92 octane, somewhat faster etc etc.
Ultimately, I bought a 13 Fusion Hybrid with minimal accessories. Upgraded the rear sway bar to the 30% stiffer Steeda piece with urethane bushings. Purchased a current 2013 "ST" badge on E Bay and applied it on the front grill a 'la Focus ST. Maybe I'm getting demented, but, the Fusion is fun ... and I'm getting an honest 42 mpg ... sticker on the Fusion was $30k and the dealer was nice enough to credit me $7k on my 05 Focus ST with 103,000 miles. The Fusion is a totally different car that doesn't pretend its anything but what it is. Just like the "original" 05 Focus ST. The cabin is very quiet inside and it handles the roundabouts nicely with the upgraded sway bar. If you like playing pin ball, you will enjoy the constantly updated mileage numbers and the "braking coach" which is sort of like a double bonus ... you get extra regnerated electricity by gently braking and minimizing the friction braking. The car's computer tracks your "lifetime" mileage average, total miles driven, how many miles were in Electric Vehicle mode (mine is running around 40% of the total) and a lifetime braking score (zero to 100% -- mine is running 96%). So if you find a used one, you can easily tell how it was driven. I do goose it now and then, but like "tilting" the pin ball machine, the satisfaction is fleeting ... nevertheless, it happens when I feel the need to put pedal to the metal.
Just wow. I have as my daily driver a 2005 ST. I love that car. My toy is my 2013 ST. Night and day difference. SOOOO much a better car. Quality, features, and fun factor. I don't understand anyone who has a old ST can say that the new ST isn't a jump of 2 or 3 fold better. hybrid? STuPID technology. The gains aren't worth the price... and the fun factor isn't there. Take the ST badges off that thing!
My 2005 ST with 100 less HP and skinny tires feels like a old cadilac that wallows around corners.
ST crew #18
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 07-10-2013, 10:22 PM   #82
TheGlassMaker
REVOLT.BUILD.RISE

Fan#: 69510
What I Drive: 97 Impreza coupe, 04 Mazda6

FF Reputation: 13 TheGlassMaker Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (5)
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouBomb View Post
Better equipped then a new fusion?

┓┏ 凵 =╱⊿┌┬┐

Because Street Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by suss6052 View Post
In his dreams it is.

The old 6 was a fair car, but the game has moved on several times already.

However this is continuing to stray further from the topic of keeping one's old car, although the O.P. did jump from an 05 Focus to a 2013 Ford Fusion hybrid instead of staying in a Focus.
No not a new fusion, but a fusion of the same year. Yea probably.

I think the mazda6 comes standard with more options over what you have to pay for in the fusion.

As I stated before going from a '02 focus to a '04 mazda6 maked me want to never own a focus again.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:35 AM   #83
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I can't imagine driving an 05 ST and somehow thinking it's a better car than the 13 ST...

The 05 had absolutely ZERO R&D from Ford. It was all leftover parts slapped onto a Mk1 chassis. From a performance perspective, the most interesting thing about the ST sedan were the rear disc brakes.

I'm not saying it was a terrible car, but compared to a Mk3 Focus (especially the new ST), it's clear that the 05-07 Focus was a victim of cost-cutting at Ford.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-11-2013, 08:58 AM   #84
05focusST91
Focus Addict

Fan#: 83640
What I Drive: 2008 chevy cobalt SS/TC.

FF Reputation: 6 05focusST91 Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by mac.mogul View Post
I can't imagine driving an 05 ST and somehow thinking it's a better car than the 13 ST...

The 05 had absolutely ZERO R&D from Ford. It was all leftover parts slapped onto a Mk1 chassis. From a performance perspective, the most interesting thing about the ST sedan were the rear disc brakes.

I'm not saying it was a terrible car, but compared to a Mk3 Focus (especially the new ST), it's clear that the 05-07 Focus was a victim of cost-cutting at Ford.
Woah buddy, yes the zx4 st's werent much different but try running one stock for stock against any other focus besides the new st, it may not handle as good as a hatch, but it was a pretty well built car.
Still here!
Old 07-11-2013, 09:22 AM   #85
mac.mogul
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 90409
What I Drive: 2011 Sterling Grey SES Sedan

FF Reputation: 13 mac.mogul Great Standing Member
I would be willing to wager that a stock 2009+ SES would run a short course time within .5 of a second to a stock 05 ST with the same driver. The suspension is nearly the same and the 09 is a few pounds lighter.

Again, I'm not saying the 05-07 ST is a terrible car, but it isn't a true performance vehicle like the new ST is.
2011 SES 5spd #006 >> SR #213

What other people think of me is none of my business.
Old 07-11-2013, 09:38 AM   #86
RonMaiden
Focus Fanatic

Fan#: 99230
What I Drive: 2012 Red Candy Metallic Hatch SE

FF Reputation: 6 RonMaiden Good Standing Member
The '05 ST was just an attempt for Ford to sell more Foci;that car didn't make a blip on any performance enthusiasts radar and the SVT Focus is the only Focus that made waves prior to the MK3

Bookmarks & Social Networks