Tested 2013 ST - Kept my 05 ST - Page 2 - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus ST > Focus ST

Focus ST The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the MK3 2013-Current Focus ST.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-04-2012, 07:33 AM   #11
RedComet
Focus Addict

Fan#: 99232
What I Drive: TB '14 Fiesta ST

Points 2,564, Level 30
Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30 Points: 2,564, Level: 30
Level Up 76% Completed
Level up: 76% Level up: 76% Level up: 76%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 7 RedComet Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Drumr90 View Post
This post helps alot cause every other post says how great the car is but yours is first that didnt go that route.
Posted via FF Mobile
Pretty much this. Makes me feel better about owning my NA '12.
Kay - HN#79
'14 Fiesta ST Tux. Blk. 6MT, COBB Stg. 1
Gone: '12 Hatch SE Sport MTX75

V - Power* Junkie
    Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-04-2012, 02:39 PM   #12
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
The new one is a great car. But then, there are other great cars, and if you already have one of those, then sure, why pay all that money?

I remember another poster saying something along the lines of the thing he liked about his old SVT Focus was that it was a relatively on-the-metal experience for him, and he worried that the oft-mentioned refinement of the 2013 would refine the fun out of it.

That's a valid concern, actually. The new ST is a blast to drive, IMO. It's also very well-mannered, willing and compliant, and pretty luxurious in the top trim. Very quiet at low RPM, smooth ride, lovely under-the-radar quality until you let it loose.

But if you wanted to wrestle the steering wheel, have the engine growling all the time, and listen to the gears move, so it's like those in-cabin shots from a rally race, you're not going to get that. The 2013 ST has performance, but it's not raw performance.

>And whats with that intake noise piped into the cabin through that plastic hose

Enthusiasts like to hear the car go VROOM. All performance cars cheat the engine noise one way or another, certainly by tuning the exhaust and adding resonance. That's especially a challenge with a 4-banger. The ST engine is pretty quiet, especially with the engine cover. They did quite a number eliminating the NVH, which is great for the passengers. But for those of us that want to hear it go vroom, they had to deliberately compromise the noise insulation. There's a butterfly valve in that pipe to keep it quiet at low RPM for highway cruising, and only let the noise in when you step on it.

Nice compromise IMO -- and a good example of the sort of thing I was talking about in the first paragraph. Refined, pleasant, and not what some people are going to want.

Better than the mechanical vibrator VW sticks under the dash of the GTI, anyway.
Old 10-05-2012, 07:46 AM   #13
Egz
Sückn' n Blown

Fan#: 442
What I Drive: 2003 2.3l ZX3

FF Reputation: 111 Egz Excellent Standing Member Egz Excellent Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fociphaeton View Post
Bottom line for me is that the new ST is marginally better. If you're used to a non-performance oriented sedan, the 2013 ST will definitely impress and you'll look forward to driving it every day. Guess I'm spoiled by the 05 ST. I've owned two 5.0 Mustangs and a 97 Mustang Cobra ragtop. No other car has been as much fun as the 05 ST (and the ST is only one with which I've gotten speeding tickets!).
I think you are overselling the old ST. It was a nice car, but the new one is leaps and bounds better.

duratec.wikispaces.com - Duratec Wiki - Sign up and contribute!
Old 10-05-2012, 09:17 AM   #14
WiscoGTI
Turböner

Fan#: 70225
What I Drive: 2002 VW GTI

Points 153,662, Level 100
Points: 153,662, Level: 100 Points: 153,662, Level: 100 Points: 153,662, Level: 100
Level Up 0% Completed
Level up: 0% Level up: 0% Level up: 0%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 32 WiscoGTI Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (9)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Egz View Post
I think you are overselling the old ST. It was a nice car, but the new one is leaps and bounds better.
It's all a matter of opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lddavis View Post
Better than the mechanical vibrator VW sticks under the dash of the GTI, anyway.
Wait a minute.. you mean my car came with a dildo and I didn't know about it!?

Son of a bish.. I need to go investigate this.

Sent from my Man Cannon via FF Mobile
Old 10-05-2012, 10:24 AM   #15
Holden
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 90783
What I Drive: 2004 SVTF

Points 250, Level 4
Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4 Points: 250, Level: 4
Level Up 50% Completed
Level up: 50% Level up: 50% Level up: 50%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 Holden Good Standing Member
I attended the ST Performance Academy in July. And, while it admittedly did not offer a full taste of the car's capabilities - you had to stay in 2nd gear(!), etc. - I actually drove away in my SVTF loving it more than ever.

Thank you for reminding me of this, because ST Lust has been creeping up on me again recently...
Old 10-05-2012, 01:01 PM   #16
lddavis
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104180
What I Drive: 1997 Red Outback

FF Reputation: 2 lddavis Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by WiscoGTI View Post
you mean my car came with a dildo and I didn't know about it!?
If you've got the 2011 or later, yes. Search for "soundaktor":
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8mUbYVS3uEc
(Warning: video shows naked car parts.)
Old 10-05-2012, 01:10 PM   #17
lyonsroar

Fan#: 63166
What I Drive: 2009 Volkswagen GTI

FF Reputation: 31 lyonsroar Great Standing Member
Quote:
I facepalmed.
Old 10-05-2012, 03:16 PM   #18
flyboyike
Focus Addict

Fan#: 98206
What I Drive: 2012 Race Red SE sedan

Points 335, Level 6
Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6 Points: 335, Level: 6
Level Up 70% Completed
Level up: 70% Level up: 70% Level up: 70%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 3 flyboyike Good Standing Member
Quote:
I quit. Officially.
Old 10-19-2012, 08:58 AM   #19
rgonyer
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 5268
What I Drive: 2013 Tangerine Scream Focus ST3

FF Reputation: 1 rgonyer Good Standing Member
Quote:
Originally Posted by felixthecat View Post
I enjoy my st w/ all the mods. I also like the SVT's also. I think its cool to look at the new cars too.
As a previous owner of (2) 2003 ZX3 SVT's, and just having driven home my new 2013 ST3 - I can't argue with this guys opinion.

The new ST is just a different car all together. With my SVT's, I was 100% connected to the road. They were the perfect size. I could easily induce understeer or oversteer intentionally and KNOW I could put it back on the line I want at any time. They just did what you told them to do, and did them comfortably.

My new ST - well I've only driven it about 100 miles now, but it's exactly as I expected. It's just a DIFFERENT car. It's bigger. Visibility is worse (main reason I would prefer a 3 door hatch, when you look immediately to your left all you see is the door pillars. On a 3 door, all you see is outside). It's vastly more refined, comfy, quiet. It's fast. Faster than I expected and I have owned a couple of 2006 Evo IX's in the past. The torque comes on so fast you barely know it's turbo. I love it, but it's different. Would I push it into oversteer around a corner with a drop off? Nope. Not yet anyway.

The SVT is 10 years old now. I have too busy of a life now to be worrying about repairing them. If I could buy a brand new 2003 SVT with warranty in 2013 for $10k less than what I paid for my ST, I probably would have done it. But you can't.

For what's out there today, I think the ST is an incredible machine, but if you are thinking it's an updated 2003 SVT or 2005 ST, that's just not the case.

It really is a "Ford GTI" if you will. I owned a 2008 R32 (actually my wife did). When she got a different car, the idea was that I would drive that one. I did for a couple of months, then I got rid of it because I couldn't stand driving an automatic. This ST reminds me VERY much of that car.
Old 10-19-2012, 10:56 AM   #20
unclebrud
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 85754
What I Drive: 2012 Ford Focus S (Ingot Silver)

FF Reputation: 1 unclebrud Good Standing Member
Great post! I think that that this is also true for the normal Focus Mk1 vs. Mk.3.

I've found that my Mk.1 Focus SE 2.3L (same engine as the old ST, pretty decent suspension) feels much lighter on it's feet that the new Mk.3's I've driven (only S/SEL). It is surprisingly agile and has excellent steering for the class. The SVT must be fantastic. I remember CAR Magazine's 2000 article on the Mk.1...they raved about the agility of the Mk.1 and the fantastic job that Richard Parry-Jones did developing it. It's a pretty underrated car here in the US.

The new regular Focus feels similar to a normal VW Golf (not a bad thing, just different).

I can't wait to drive the ST, though. How do you find the variable EPAS?

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.