Should I go with Steel or Alum FW? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus SVT > SVT Performance (2002-2004)

SVT Performance (2002-2004) The place to chat about any 2.0L SVT DOHC Zetec engine performance, tuning and exhaust related upgrades.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-19-2012, 02:06 PM   #1
StephenElsbree1986
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 104271
What I Drive: CD Silver 2003 SVT

Points 1,096, Level 17
Points: 1,096, Level: 17 Points: 1,096, Level: 17 Points: 1,096, Level: 17
Level Up 96% Completed
Level up: 96% Level up: 96% Level up: 96%
Forum Activity 1%
Activity: 1% Activity: 1% Activity: 1%
FF Reputation: 1 StephenElsbree1986 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Should I go with Steel or Alum FW?

Buying a Stage 3 Clutch Master Clutch kit and its giving me the option of Steel or Alum, I have/had a Spec stage 2 with 12lbs FW but that clutch just burned out<Thanks to my gf dad> anyways I know the Lighter weight will cause a chatter bearing heard it in my Spec FW Anyone have a stage 3 for a DD? Expecting to FI during tax return, even if I dont wind up going FI I want to be able to rev the car drop the clutch and not have it slip it done that the whole year and a half I had the car....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2012, 02:25 PM   #2
StephenElsbree1986
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,096, Level 17
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I know less rotating mass = faster revs, but from the foxbody world, Alum FW where the devil and caused bog down and not enough interia, now I know they're diffrent engines and rev diffrently I never liked how mine seem to bog my SVT it has a tune also but it all could be the bad slipping clutch. Any IDeas?
Old 10-19-2012, 03:13 PM   #3
_Auricom_
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 101454
What I Drive: 04 ZX5 SVT & 01 Eclipse GT

Points 504, Level 10
Points: 504, Level: 10 Points: 504, Level: 10 Points: 504, Level: 10
Level Up 8% Completed
Level up: 8% Level up: 8% Level up: 8%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 _Auricom_ Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (3)
hey bud, I have the aluminum flywheel from Fidanza on my DSM. The engine is a low end torque sun bitch but there is some chatter. Throttling up though is another story. Poly mounts on a V6 so it grips and feels great! these I would think your fine. If you were pushing over 400WHP then I'd consider a denser flywheel but Aluminu for our power range is better. again just my 2cent$.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #4
JackRyan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 90271
What I Drive: 2003 silver SVTF

FF Reputation: 1 JackRyan Good Standing Member
i recently installed a clutch masters stage 3 with aluminum flywheel and quaife LSD. Still un-tuned but my hanging revs kinda went away with the aluminum fly. if u have the money instal a LSD with ur clutch and fly combo doing it all at once reduces labor costs. nothing sux more than installing a quality clutch to just do a one wheel peel everytime you try to launch. with the aluminum fly u have to launch a little higher and rev it a little higher to get going. Clutch/flywheel chatter is pretty loud in our cars(with alum fly) sitting out of gear off the clutch it sounds like a diesel. on the clutch it goes away. if ur more concerned with performance i highly recomend going aluminum fly. better engine response and faster gear changes. Again if possible LSD its the difference between having a one wheel drive car and a 2wd car. i can launch so hard without wheelspin its amazing. Spinning isnt winning. and jumping off the line can make all the difference. plus pulling out of corners harder with more controle(totalled my first focus because of wheelspin while cornering). If i could do it over i'd get a clutchmasters stage 4 tho. the clutch pedal pressure for stage 3 is hardly harder than stock with a smaller window of engagement but i'd rather it engage a little harder so next clutch will be a stage 4. But over stock the stage 3 and aluminum fly is a great combo.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:15 PM   #5
JackRyan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

but like u said u just wanna beable to dump the clutch and have it grab without slipping. the clutchmasters stage 3 slips allot LESS than stock and deff grabbs better than stock. my car is my DD and like i said id actually rather it grab harder which is why next clutch will be a stage 4. but again without an LSD when ur clutch grabbs ur just gonna be feathering one tire spinning to get going. you'll be stuck between feathering ur clutch and your one wheel peel. I think an LSD is essential in any FWD car you drive hard. i will never beat a FWD car without one again.
Old 10-20-2012, 07:47 PM   #6
StephenElsbree1986
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,096, Level 17
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I got a Torsen in it, I had a spec stage 2 clutch and it slipped all the time since I bought the car took a year to go out and stage 4 hardly has any life they said at CM it has about 40% less friction material, , you said stage three slips less...? Why would it slip at all, I dont get these FWD cars, I put a ram clutch in m mustang and could drop it just to spin the tires at 5krpm and it would never slip once, I just want to be able to even drop go off the line without babying it letting it grip up then giving it gas
Old 10-20-2012, 09:16 PM   #7
JackRyan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

guess i said that wrong. i can hook up and launch like a motha a. it never slips while in gear or anything. ive kinda wished it grabbed harder while slamming gears like 1st to 2nd, 2nd to 3rd, ect while not dropping the revs/keeping on the gas. the clutch doesnt slip at all. i was just expecting a little more engagement force when i got it. i tend to drive my car like i stole it. i'm very impresed with my stage3 clutchmasters and aluminum fly over stock. Launches do take finesse tho with our first gear being so long. these trannys we'rnt built for the 1/4
Old 10-21-2012, 05:55 AM   #8
StephenElsbree1986
Focus Enthusiast

Points 1,096, Level 17
Level Up 96% Completed
Forum Activity 1%
I just want to break in this clutch proper unlike the guy who put in the spec clutch is the proper way on these kevlars still like 1k miles stop and go to build up friction material or what lol, and thanks that makes me feel better I've this car would slip on any hill of it like 3k I give it that that how out burned o ut I would have to Creep of the line at like 1500rpm till it gripped
Old 10-21-2012, 04:02 PM   #9
JackRyan
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

my stock clutch ended the same was as yours. letting go under load. its deffinatly important to break in the new clutch well.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.