Focus Fanatics Forum banner

Window tint with rear defroster

4K views 14 replies 13 participants last post by  MyThIc3LiTe 
#1 ·
Hello, I was wondering about tinting the rear window on my focus. I'm planning to do it myself, all I need to know is what to do about the rear defrost. Can the tint be applied on top of the defroster a or will that cause it to bubble? Do I need to cut slits in it? Also, please keep the comments to yourself about me being a girl or about how I need to go to a pro... I've heard all that :)

#2 ·
you can just apply the tint over the defroster line. it will be no problem at all. Theres no need to cut it up to slits or anything like that.[burnout]

#8 ·
If you've never done tint yourself, take it to a shop. The curved surfaces are such a P.I.T.A.

The pre-cut stuff can save some headaches if you get it started correctly. Good Luck!

#10 ·
Tinting a curved surface is difficult, but not impossible. If you're only doing the rear, then you should have a couple shots out of a roll. There are some good video's on youtube showing how to go about laying out, shrinking, and applying film to curved surfaces like that, I would take a look. You can shrink with just a blow-dryer, you don't need a heat gun (though it does speed the process up).

Just ensure that you don't knick the defroster lines with anything sharp and you should be good to go[thumb]

#11 ·
Honestly, I'm gonna tell you exactly what you don't want to hear; take it to a pro.

You get a warranty on the tint, no headaches, and you can sit there and relax while the hard work is done. This car isn't the easiest car to tint, my tint guys had a rough time getting the rear quarter windows to lay down and stay down (and they're the best tint shop in the area).

If you think the cost is too high, shop around. I only paid 165 (with a $15 discount) for my tint. Lifetime warranty, 30% Llumar tint.

#12 ·
And here's my opinion....

Take the car to a shop, and have them do the rear window. I prefer 3M film, it's guaranteed not to turn purple like cheap tints.

If you want to try tinting yourself, I am all for that. I've done quite a few cars myself. Go for it on the side glass, but honestly, leave the rear glass to a professional. If you mess up the rear tint or it bubbles or fades in a year, there's a good chance you'll destroy the defroster grid trying to get it off.

Let a shop do the rear.

#14 ·
^ I agree.
Do the side windows yourself and get the rear one professionally done. It took me 5 times to do the hatch and its still not that great. Just take your time on the side windows and it should look really nice.

-sbc

#13 ·
Ditto.

I've seen it done - pros are amazing with it.

It's somewhat similar to applying contact paper. Prices I've seen are typically $165 to $200 for all 4 windows. You would pay probably at least $75 for all 4 windows for the film alone.

The pro's and the guys on YouTube make it look like it's just slap it on and squeegee it out and you're done, but it's not that easy. The guys on Sunday kick 50-yard field goals with no problem either - but that doesn't mean I could do it.

#15 ·
YOU GO GIRL!

And get a pro to do it.

Lifetime warranty, higher quality materials.

Hell, 3M on its own might run you 75-100 so is saving roughly 75-100 on labour worth having your work fall apart after 3 months because you didn't know what you were doing?

Ideally you want factory smoked glass, followed up by professionally installed and warrantied tint, and DIY doesn't even show up on the list unless you happen to be on of those YouTube wizards and actually know whats up.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.