i want to blow up my car - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-01-2012, 08:30 PM   #1
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Fan#: 65000
What I Drive: 01 cd silver 3 door ztec

FF Reputation: 2 sgtsmasher Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
i want to blow up my car

ok so. here is my issue, my car wont start after replacing the old cracked battery, and putting in a brand new one. when i put the new one in and got the termanals hooked up after replacing those as well (brand new). i went to turn the car on and it wouldn't start, the wipers came on without me touching them and the gauge needles went all the way up and back down and also the mileage numbers turned to dash marks. what the hell is going on with my car. i have one idea, that i might have killed my alternator because the cracked battery always needed to be charged when running and i was using my stereo system with all this going on. could that be it?!?!?! i really dont want to replace the alt. i really cant afford to spend another $250 on this dumb ass car, im so over fixing things on it, i just want to drive it

Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-01-2012, 08:55 PM   #2
grayzx35speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94839
What I Drive: 2006 Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 grayzx35speed Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The needles resetting happened because the ecu was without power for a period time car. As for your alt, the car should start with a new battery. The altenator charges the battery while driving. Does the car crank at all?
Old 10-01-2012, 09:08 PM   #3
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

No it doesnt, not even that stupid clicking noise like when your battery is dead. And i dont have the patients to pull the alt and see if thats the problem, although i could do the big 3 while it is out, how many bolts hold it on and whats the size of them
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 10-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #4
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Find some one local and knowledgeable to come over and look your car over for you.
Looking over you older posts, you don't seem to have the patients to doublecheck your work. Sorry, just being honest.

Gauge sweep is normal upon unhooking the battery. Take longer than ~5 min for this to occur IIRC.
Dashes aren't normal. Ground issue is most common.
Wipers coming on by themselves says either something is grounding out in the ignition circuit, fuse panel of any other system associated with the wipers ... the relay on the back of the interior fuse panel is finding alternative switched power.

Or you have the terminals backwards on the battery.
Old 10-01-2012, 09:42 PM   #5
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Ok well when i have time what im going to is, redo the wiring. i may have tried rushing it due to the fact that it was literally dark as hell out, and i had a desk lamp to work under for lighting. The first thing ill check is the ground from the battery terminal to the car, cause thats the only wire that i chopped off and changed to bigger gauge. I also sanded a bare spot for it as well as the screw holding it, mayne its just not good enough, thanks though. Ill recheck my work under actual light not a lamp lol.
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 10-01-2012, 09:53 PM   #6
iminhell
C2H5OH

Fan#: 36222
What I Drive: 2000 & 2001 ZX3's

FF Reputation: 48 iminhell Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (4)
Quote:
Originally Posted by sgtsmasher View Post
cause thats the only wire that i chopped off and changed to bigger gauge.

Concern.
I'm taking this statement to say that you cut the factory ground leaving a few inches to attach a large gauge wire to. Correct?

If so, ditch the factory wire altogether and use an aftermarket clamp. Attach all the factory grounds to the new clamp.
Never splice grounds.
Old 10-02-2012, 06:08 AM   #7
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

No, the factory terminal that was on there, i cut off the ground from that to the chassis, that is what i replaced. The big factory ground i cut from the terminal right at the end of it, i did no splicing of any wires. Im guessimng my "quick" fix is what is keeping the car from starting as well as the hack job of trying to mash all the wires under the wing nuts...im sure ill figure it out, cause it ran before i parked it again to mess with the battery and wires. Ill post any more problems when i mess with it later after work....
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 10-02-2012, 01:14 PM   #8
grayzx35speed
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 94839
What I Drive: 2006 Gray ZX3

FF Reputation: 0 grayzx35speed Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
In this case I agree with everyone else, if it ran before you parked it and did.your hack job, then now you have funny electrical issues it is most likely somewhere in the wiring you did.
Old 10-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #9
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

Yea im going to clean it up a little bit, change the stock wires to the ones i got at advance. I got 2 72" 4 gauge wires brand new positive and ground. And i have left over amp cable that im going use also to increase the electric flow, ill get it, hopefully lol
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO
Old 10-02-2012, 07:37 PM   #10
sgtsmasher
need new focus?!

FOUND THE DAMN PROBLEM....

see that stupid little black wire with the orange stripe, yea i didnt see it the first time SOB
Hatch Nation #72
Call Me BRANDO COMMANDO

Bookmarks & Social Networks
-->