Transmission Dropped Into Neutral? - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace


Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum > Ford Focus Third Generation > MK3 Focus

MK3 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the third generation 2012-Current Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-09-2012, 11:40 PM   #1
MC1992
Focus Enthusiast
 
MC1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90417
Location: Ballwin, MO
What I Drive: '95 Volvo 850 Turbo/'12 Focus Sport

Posts: 50
Points 723, Level 14
Points: 723, Level: 14 Points: 723, Level: 14 Points: 723, Level: 14
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 MC1992 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Transmission Dropped Into Neutral?

So today I was at the intersection on campus and it was my turn to go. When I started to accelerate and turn left the car felt like it just dropped into neutral. Kinda embarrassing, because everyone was waiting for me to go a little faster than snail speed at start off. It just wouldn't go. Gave it more punch and it buckled and launch off like a rocket! Wonder if it was because I didn't do a full stop and did more of a roll and when I accelerated the transmission just got confused. It's the automatic dct by the way. Never happened before though, even with the roll stops. Also while I'm at it, I never did notice any difference in the transmission after the update earlier this year.


__________________
"2012 Focus Sport Hatchback is the bee's knees!"
MC1992 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 10-10-2012, 05:11 AM   #2
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93883
Location: Somewhere, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

Posts: 57
FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
The same thing happened to me a few weeks back. http://www.focusfanatics.com/forum/showthread.php?t=298670

1. Can you tell me the build date of your car.
2. How many miles on it.

Mine is 10/11 and has the 12B37 update too. It has 18K on it. I too did not notice any difference after the update, except for the roll back which no longer happens.
jellybean is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 AM   #3
Zestyfoo
Focus Rookie
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Fan#: 104622
Location: La Mirada, CA
What I Drive: 2013 Tuxedo Black ST2

Posts: 1
FF Reputation: 1 Zestyfoo Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Same thing happened to me, twice. Pretty unsafe pulling onto a road and having the tranny drop to neutral. Fix for me was to shift into D and back to S. I have an ST now though, so doesn't matter anymore.
Zestyfoo is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 07:10 AM   #4
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93883
Location: Somewhere, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

Posts: 57
FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Yes it is very dangerous...

My car would not engage S when I tried. In fact when I did do it, the car started shaking, the rpms dropped to less the 500rpm and S indicator light was not illuminated. The only way I could solve it was to turn the car off and then back on again.
jellybean is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #5
Joeywhat
Strichmädchen & Koks
 
Joeywhat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Fan#: 85247
Location: Brighton, MI
What I Drive: 2014 Mustang 3.7L SGM

Posts: 2,739
Points 7,259, Level 56
Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56 Points: 7,259, Level: 56
Level Up 55% Completed
Level up: 55% Level up: 55% Level up: 55%
Forum Activity 10%
Activity: 10% Activity: 10% Activity: 10%
FF Reputation: 11 Joeywhat Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1992 View Post
So today I was at the intersection on campus and it was my turn to go. When I started to accelerate and turn left the car felt like it just dropped into neutral. Kinda embarrassing, because everyone was waiting for me to go a little faster than snail speed at start off. It just wouldn't go. Gave it more punch and it buckled and launch off like a rocket! Wonder if it was because I didn't do a full stop and did more of a roll and when I accelerated the transmission just got confused. It's the automatic dct by the way. Never happened before though, even with the roll stops. Also while I'm at it, I never did notice any difference in the transmission after the update earlier this year.
What likely happened is that the car disengaged the clutch as you came close to stopping, and at precisely the same time you tried to accelerate. The computer has to reengage the clutch before you can go anywhere, and by the time it was able to do so you likely were given it more throttle then desired, which is why it took off like it did.

I can repeat this "issue" in my car at will. I don't believe it's an actual problem with the car, rather you just need to make sure to time your stops so you are not attempting to accelerate when the car is almost stopped. Either give it just a bit more time to reengage the clutch after releasing the brake, or come to a complete stop before accelerating again. This is just something the DCT does, as it has clutches and not a torque converter. A traditional automatic would always stay in gear, and connected to the engine, allowing for such operation, whereas our gearbox does not.
__________________
Hatch Nation #29
Joeywhat is online now  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 09:17 AM   #6
MC1992
Focus Enthusiast
 
MC1992's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Fan#: 90417
Location: Ballwin, MO
What I Drive: '95 Volvo 850 Turbo/'12 Focus Sport

Posts: 50
Points 723, Level 14
Points: 723, Level: 14 Points: 723, Level: 14 Points: 723, Level: 14
Level Up 23% Completed
Level up: 23% Level up: 23% Level up: 23%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 1 MC1992 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Built date was 9/11 with 9,6xxx miles. It's just strange to me, because I do a lot of city driving and this is the first time that has happened from accelerating from a roll stop. I know that a lot of people had complaint about how it acts up in stop and go traffic, but I never had that issue before.
__________________
"2012 Focus Sport Hatchback is the bee's knees!"
MC1992 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 10:35 AM   #7
cbdallas
Focus Addict
 
cbdallas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Fan#: 100296
Location: Wylie, TX
What I Drive: 2014 Titanium 5-speed

Posts: 820
Points 1,737, Level 24
Points: 1,737, Level: 24 Points: 1,737, Level: 24 Points: 1,737, Level: 24
Level Up 37% Completed
Level up: 37% Level up: 37% Level up: 37%
Forum Activity 4%
Activity: 4% Activity: 4% Activity: 4%
FF Reputation: 3 cbdallas Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Strangely, mine does just the opposite when I try to accelerate after nearly coming to a complete stop. It chirps the tires & lurches forward...something it won't do from a dead stop even with full throttle.
cbdallas is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 11:49 AM   #8
cobie56
Focus Fanatic
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Fan#: 84403
Location: northeastern, NY
What I Drive: '01 ZX3, '14 Civic XL '12 SEL

Posts: 1,575
FF Reputation: 2 cobie56 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joeywhat View Post
What likely happened is that the car disengaged the clutch as you came close to stopping, and at precisely the same time you tried to accelerate. The computer has to reengage the clutch before you can go anywhere, and by the time it was able to do so you likely were given it more throttle then desired, which is why it took off like it did.

I can repeat this "issue" in my car at will. I don't believe it's an actual problem with the car, rather you just need to make sure to time your stops so you are not attempting to accelerate when the car is almost stopped. Either give it just a bit more time to reengage the clutch after releasing the brake, or come to a complete stop before accelerating again. This is just something the DCT does, as it has clutches and not a torque converter. A traditional automatic would always stay in gear, and connected to the engine, allowing for such operation, whereas our gearbox does not.
I agree w/ what you wrote but it should not have to be this way... perhaps the DCT should have been engineered to disengage the clutch at a much lower speed , or not anticipate the stop and only disengage when the car actually does stop or, as in when using a manual, allow some 'slippage' so that these abrupt actions do not occur. The way things are now it's at best, annoying and at worst, dangerous. I have found that the only positive thing this 'issue' prevents is california stops which are uncomfortable w/ the present set up as the clutch can't 'read' the driver's intentions so it disengages when its engagement is needed most pushing the driver to make an actual full stop.
cobie56 is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2012, 12:08 PM   #9
jellybean
Focus Enthusiast
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Fan#: 93883
Location: Somewhere, United States
What I Drive: 2012 Sterling Grey Titanium

Posts: 57
FF Reputation: 0 jellybean Newbie
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MC1992 View Post
Built date was 9/11 with 9,6xxx miles. It's just strange to me, because I do a lot of city driving and this is the first time that has happened from accelerating from a roll stop. I know that a lot of people had complaint about how it acts up in stop and go traffic, but I never had that issue before.
our build dates are within a month of each other. I am 10/11, 18000miles
jellybean is offline  
    Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:41 PM.


Copyright 2002-2014 FocusFanatics.com. All Rights Reserved : Terms of Use : Privacy Policy : Advertise Information

Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forum offers many fun ways for you to engage with other Ford Focus Owners from across the world. Whether it be about the aftermarket performance modifications, technical how-to's, European tuned suspension or awesome fuel economy similar to the Acura TLX or Fiesta ST. You can find all Ford Focus and Focus ST related information here. Join our Ford Focus discussion forums and chat with local Focus enthusiasts in your area.