Ouch! Wrecked my new 2012 Focus....HELP!! - Focus Fanatics
Focus Fanatics Ford Focus Forums
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Focus Fanatics > Ford Focus Tech Discussions > General Technical Chat

General Technical Chat This section is for technical discussions relating to general maintenance, electrical issues, engine trouble, and recalls.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
FocusFest Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 09-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #1
lkfloyd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97517
What I Drive: 2012 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 lkfloyd Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Ouch! Wrecked my new 2012 Focus....HELP!!

Labor day weekend I had the misfortune of hitting a deer with my new focus @ 60mph, was coming home from work at 12:30 AM. Repair was done @ a local dealership where I live. When I brought it home I gave it a very thorough look over and noticed that the hood wasn't all the way down, big gap between headlights and hood. I took it back and the Body shop manager agreed. I worked with him for over an hour and we could NOT get the gap aligned properly, he loosened the latch to try and move it down........no good.
It seems that the metal "U" shaped part attached to the hood is to long!!! anybody have any idea how to remedy this???. This body shop manager has been doing work for my family for over 15 yrs, he is FANTASTIC at what he does. He said he has NEVER seen such crappy workmanship on Ford parts since he started. WE looked at 5 Brand new Focus's on his lot, none had the same gap although none were as bad as mine. Any help from you Ford experts out there would be appreciated!!. On the brighter side, with just over 5000 miles on it I am averaging a nice 38.5 mpg consistantly!!( not using the computer, checking it the old fashioned way). Another note, the Magnesium bar that holds the air-bag sensors was destroyed in the wreck but never deployed!!!!!!. Dealership was very,very concerned about that. THANKS!!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 09-30-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
sailor
"Elder"

Fan#: 57268
What I Drive: 2004 Pitch Black ZTS 2.3 5spd.

FF Reputation: 57 sailor Excellent Standing Member
As usual, the first comment is "Can't see it from here", but if things were straight BEFORE the Deer hit - the body work done afterwards is the issue. NOT "crappy Ford parts" as the shop commented.

Older cars with larger gaps & more "fudge factor" built in from the factory are easier to fix after a collision since they weren't as precise to begin with!

Current cars are built to closer tolerances to begin with, so less adjustability is built in. This means that body work has to be done to a higher standard to make things fit as they originally did.

If you'd seen the sledge hammer & 2x4 "adjustments" the factory used on the assembly line in the 60's to make the hood fit you might appreciate the better quality we see now on new Fords. ( Saw that personally on the Mustang line in 1965)

If you aren't happy with the work's results, simply tell the shop that you would like it repaired to the condition it was in BEFORE the accident since achieving that appearance is the objective of "Collision" work.

As to the air bags, be happy they didn't deploy since that causes a LOT of additional expense & damage to be repaired. They apparently weren't needed to protect you, and the reason for non-deployment is likely simply because hitting a Deer doesn't decelerate the car quickly enough to create the G forces that would trigger them.

Luck!

(hate to say it, but you'll likely need some luck since the shop won't be happy re-doing work to your satisfaction...)
Old 09-30-2012, 11:11 AM   #3
lkfloyd
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 97517
What I Drive: 2012 silver se

FF Reputation: 1 lkfloyd Good Standing Member
Thanks for the reply. The body shop will do anything I ask them to do. There is no adjustment left without either drilling larger holes in the latch mount or or making the "u" shorter. It may come down to trying another hood which they WILL do, just trying to avoid that if possible. With the closer tolerances you mentioned it explains why none of the Focus's on the lot had the same gap between the headlight and hood. It's better after some fudging with the headlights and hood latch, I just like things the way they were. Thanks again
Old 09-30-2012, 11:15 AM   #4
VEGAS
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 75680
What I Drive: 2007 Focus

FF Reputation: 4 VEGAS Good Standing Member
sounds to me like you need to double check the adjustment on the nose, the header in the front that holds the top of the radiator sounds low, take a picture and let us see it...
Old 09-30-2012, 11:56 AM   #5
dabar39
Focus Rookie

Fan#: 104376
What I Drive: 1990 ford f-350 wrecker

FF Reputation: 1 dabar39 Good Standing Member
Sounds like the upper tie bar / radiator support is the culprit, not the latch arm on the hood. With out seeing it, it would be my guess that the tie bar was twisted and is throwing everything out of adjustment. Another issue could be if the bumper absorbers were bent in the accident and twisted the lower support and inner structures. Either way, with out seeing it, I can only make guesses based upon past experiences.
Old 09-30-2012, 12:17 PM   #6
whynotthinkwhynot
Captain TMI

Fan#: 18416
What I Drive: 05 ZXW; 02 Windstar; 13 C-Max SEL

FF Reputation: 267 whynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Memberwhynotthinkwhynot Outstanding Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (1)
Eh, evidence of greater damage done. Work it out as best as you can, and drive the car enough to get your money's worth out of it- then sell it. It will not perform like a new car in another accident.

I'm sorry, but an excellent body man would've noticed that before the car was returned to the customer. I'd guess they probably tried to fix it before returning it to you, but were unsuccessful.

Moderating everything now, let me know if I can help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the user formerly known as ZX3_Chick View Post
You're special aren't you.

Bookmarks & Social Networks