Help me please - Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum
Ford Focus Forum
HomeContact UsAbout UsGalleryDiscussion ForumsMarketplace

Go Back   Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum > Ford Focus First Generation > MK1 Focus

MK1 Focus The place to chat about general questions, window tinting, exterior body, interior and lighting upgrades for the first generation 2000-2007 Focus.

Search This Forum | Image Search | Advanced Search    
Ford Focus Tire & Wheels FocusFanatics Merchandise

Old 10-24-2012, 05:00 PM   #1
Konacus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Fan#: 99546
What I Drive: 2000 CD Silver ZX3 Kona Edition

FF Reputation: 1 Konacus Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (0)
Help me please

First off, I would like to apologize for not being more involved over the past few months. My new job works me 6 days a week for 11 hours and I have college on top of that.

Anyway, after our Focus meeting at Sadlers, I began keeping track of my mileage and I am disappointed to say that my mpg is between 10 and 15. This surely cannot be right for a vehicle that is rated at 35 hwy. I know the Kona rack on top of my car causes a bit of resistance, and can affect mileage, but it shouldn't be that drastic.

What can I do to increase my mpg? I'm tired of filling up my tank every week at least once. Also, I'm not sure if I have the key to the Kona rack, and the guys at the Ford dealerships I've been to have no idea what I'm talking about when I ask them about having a key made for it. Any ideas on what to do to get it off without damaging it?

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-24-2012, 05:24 PM   #2
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,575, Level 75
Points: 13,575, Level: 75 Points: 13,575, Level: 75 Points: 13,575, Level: 75
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
I would start with a basic tune up.

Air filter
Fuel filter
Spark Plugs
Wires
Clean MAF sensor
Check O2 sensors, and replace if needed
Oil and filter change

Check tire pressure and alignment

and a seafoam treatment couldnt hurt either.

10-15 is pretty low. if those things havent been done in a while or at all it would be a good place to start.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 10-24-2012, 06:53 PM   #3
whimsicalpouch2
Focus Addict

Fan#: 87978
What I Drive: 2002, black SVT focus

Points 4,736, Level 43
Points: 4,736, Level: 43 Points: 4,736, Level: 43 Points: 4,736, Level: 43
Level Up 93% Completed
Level up: 93% Level up: 93% Level up: 93%
Forum Activity 0%
Activity: 0% Activity: 0% Activity: 0%
FF Reputation: 4 whimsicalpouch2 Good Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (6)
do the tuneup. it will help probably quite alot.after that, if youre still getting crappy MPG, take it into a mechanic, orrrrr just get a new car

#586 of #4788
Old 10-24-2012, 07:33 PM   #4
gello88
Focus Enthusiast

Fan#: 102250
What I Drive: 2000 Black ZX3

FF Reputation: 1 gello88 Good Standing Member
I agree with SkyPilot. Start off with those tune ups as they are easy and quite cheap to do with the exception of probably the wires and o2 sensors if they need to be replaced and installed. Furthermore, if you're not already doing so, use synthetic oil. This helped me gain 1 - 2 MPG extra. Don't forget to make sure that you have enough coolant in the reservoir too.

Another extra thing you can add to that list is to rotate your tires if you haven't done so in a long time and make sure that the tires are inflated up to the recommended pressure (check the door panel for the specs).

15MPG is really low for a focus. Good luck!
Old 10-25-2012, 08:55 PM   #5
Konacus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

Thanks for the tips guys. I have already checked the tire pressures, and have done so regularly with all the awkward weather shifts here in Wichita. I have checked with the local ford dealerships and they say that a tune-up would only cost $120 for them to do it. Seeing as how I don't have any time to do it myself, a 120 loss here is better than 35-40 a week on gas. I was wondering though, what is the seafoam treatment? It sounds like a cleaning thing, but a friend of mine says he thinks it's a sealant. I'm not sure. Also, while I was at one of the dealerships, I ran into a guy I know and he said he would help me out with getting a new car or a pre-owned if I decided to do that. They have this pretty rad looking ST 6-speed in a gold color that I'm really digging, so I might be upgrading soon.
Old 10-26-2012, 08:30 AM   #6
SkyPilot
Jetsetter

Fan#: 22350
What I Drive: 2004 SE, 2012 Yellow Blaze SE HB

Points 13,575, Level 75
Points: 13,575, Level: 75 Points: 13,575, Level: 75 Points: 13,575, Level: 75
Level Up 82% Completed
Level up: 82% Level up: 82% Level up: 82%
Forum Activity 7%
Activity: 7% Activity: 7% Activity: 7%
FF Reputation: 45 SkyPilot Great Standing Member
Buy-Sell-Trade Rating: (17)
Seafoam is a cleaner, you can add it to your fuel system to clean it out, add it to oil to clean out sludge (oil change required after a few days) and add it into the intake system thru a vac line to clean out that. It works pretty good and very simple to do.
ZETEC Crew #26 SR #20 YELLOW BLAZE OWNERS GROUP#4
Moderator Pilot, 2 foci Owner! 04 SE Sedan [P RNDL], 12 SE HB ╠╬╝
Ford Focus Discussions, Ford Focus Marketplace, Ford Focus Tech Discussions, Movies & Music Fanatics, Regional Forums
Old 10-27-2012, 04:17 PM   #7
Konacus
Focus Jr. Enthusiast

A mechanic that works with me at the dealership says that transmission fluid also works as an engine cleaner. Apparently it just eats up the carbon deposits, but it burns super thick white smoke so you can't do it indoors. Anyway, I was able to find my bag of spare parts, which thankfully contained the magical key to unlock to evil Kona rack of wind resistance. With a little extra body help, I was able to remove it safely without causing any more damage to my car. Now I just need to find a place to store it. I will eventually find or make time to get an oil change, and they will do a full inspection when they do it to let me know what I need to replace or repair.

Bookmarks & Social Networks

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Ford Focus Forum, Ford Focus ST Forum, Ford Focus RS Forum forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.